Anne Beadell Highway

Submitted: Friday, Jan 30, 2004 at 18:48
ThreadID: 10137 Views:1697 Replies:8 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
How wise is it to do the A.Beadell alone albeit well equipped and with HF.How many other vehicles are likeky to be doing it during the season.When is the best time?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bob - Friday, Jan 30, 2004 at 20:21

Friday, Jan 30, 2004 at 20:21
I reckon I'd be pretty lonely but travelling slowly no probs. Are you in good health? Is vehicle in good nick? Can you plug tyres, change wheels etc unassisted. I'd count on a vehicle a fortnight - got enough food and water if balloon goes up?Bob
AnswerID: 44877

Reply By: Topcat (WA) - Friday, Jan 30, 2004 at 20:28

Friday, Jan 30, 2004 at 20:28
Hi Peter, I did the A.B. solo last year (August) from West to East without any problems. Provided your vehicle is in good condition with good tyres you shouldn't have too much trouble. The last stretch from camp no.4. on the W.A. side to the Mable Downs service road is rough in sections with many wash-outs so care has to be taken, paticularly if there has been recent rains. The best time to travel is usually between April & September when the temperatures are mild & not too hot.
Make sure you inform family or friends of your trip timetable & let them know you have completed it successfully. Since I presume have a H.F. radio just inform VKS-737 (if you are a member) of your progress. Have a good trip. Cheers Have Wheels Will Travel
AnswerID: 44878

Reply By: Peter - Friday, Jan 30, 2004 at 21:14

Friday, Jan 30, 2004 at 21:14
Thanks for the comments.Best I know our vehicle and our bodies are in good shape and yes we are experienced outbackers,however we never take anything for granted in the bush.
AnswerID: 44884

Reply By: Willem - Friday, Jan 30, 2004 at 21:14

Friday, Jan 30, 2004 at 21:14
Can't see why not....We travel solo all the time....did the Canning solo and at one time there was a break of 5 days before we saw other travellers. Hoping to do the Connie Sue, Hunt Oil Road and up to Ruddall driving solo sometime this year. I hate having my life and movements ruled by others.............

CheersWillem

Googs Lake camp
AnswerID: 44885

Follow Up By: equinox - Friday, Jan 30, 2004 at 22:39

Friday, Jan 30, 2004 at 22:39
That doesn't make sense Willem.-"We travel solo all the time". Shouldn't it be "I travel solo all the time" or "We travel together in one vehicle all the time"?
There's a big difference in travelling by yourself and travelling in one vehicle with others.
Anyway, although I've only travelled the first hundered k's or so of the Anne Beadell from the west (with another person), it shouldn't be a problem solo if all the "normal" safety rules are adhered to!!

Is that worth 2 cents??

Cheers
Equinox

FollowupID: 307047

Follow Up By: Willem - Saturday, Jan 31, 2004 at 00:05

Saturday, Jan 31, 2004 at 00:05
Sorry Equinox....I wouldn't give you 2 cents for it...........:-)

I, (with my passenger....... either my missus, when she wants to come along or different mates who like to come along and get given time off by their wives), travel on my own in one vehicle and very seldom take on others in convoy. Been there and done that with crowds. I am well set up and well prepared and have been doing this caper for many years. Still, I don't take the bush for granted...

Hope that explains everything and is as clear as mud.

Cheers,
Willem

Googs Lake camp
FollowupID: 307065

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Saturday, Jan 31, 2004 at 08:19

Saturday, Jan 31, 2004 at 08:19
Any wonder you travel alone Willem, what or who could keep up with the mighty G60?If you hold your heart and focus,
you will end up holding your dream
FollowupID: 307075

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Friday, Jan 30, 2004 at 23:03

Friday, Jan 30, 2004 at 23:03
Peter - I actually don't agree with some of the responses you've received here regarding how many vehicles you are likely to see if travelling during the season. We travelled it before the 3 new camps were publicised or mapped and before the new roadhouse was built yet still saw cars every day in both directions. We were travelling solo and from notes written in various log books along the way we identified where the other travellers were on the track. Over the HF whilst listening during sked time to VKS737 we identified other groups coming along. One day we passed 2 convoys in opposite directions to ourselves (we were travelling west to east, encountered more traffic flow east-west). Convoys of 4-8 vehicles. The track is very easy in terms of terrain, but its a long SLOW trip. If you are interested, we have a Journal of the trip - look under the Trip Planning men, and then go to Journal for an index.

In the last couple of years, all I hear is more people on the track. Traditionally, the reason why it was less travelled was due to the extreme fuel range needed with a total lack of fuel supplies along the 1400km (?) length. With the new roadhouse built last year, this has significantly changed the situation.Regards Michelle,
Spread the word - ExplorOz.com
AnswerID: 44901

Follow Up By: Jimbo (WA) - Saturday, Jan 31, 2004 at 00:14

Saturday, Jan 31, 2004 at 00:14
G'day Michelle,

Are you sure the new roadhouse is up and running? I tried contacting the sat phone number given to me for it - and it kept ringing out. When I queried the local community that is behind building this roadhouse the rep said that "there's only one guy out there, and he's probably not answering the phone because he's out working". When I asked whether fuel would be available in Sep 04 (when I intend doing the trip) I was told - "ring us later and we'll let you know".

Any info one way or the other about this would be great.

Thanks in advance.Cheers, Jim

"Lead, Follow.....or get out of the way!!"
FollowupID: 307067

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Saturday, Jan 31, 2004 at 01:59

Saturday, Jan 31, 2004 at 01:59
Yeah - I wouldn't expect you could get hold of them at this time of year but they contacted me direct at least 6mths ago and we had a long conversation about things. They were ADAMANT that fuel was there already but I wanted them to supply me facts, dates, details and all he could do was advise people needed to make enquires via phone in advance.

I'll follow up again and see what more I can glean.Regards Michelle,
Spread the word - ExplorOz.com
FollowupID: 307073

Reply By: Member - Frank - Saturday, Jan 31, 2004 at 11:38

Saturday, Jan 31, 2004 at 11:38
307073)
ExplorOz Team - Michelle

I would be very interested as I am going solo vehicle with mate on 15 march both have lived and traveled in bush for years

Apreciate all help have gained from site and members

FrankCBS
Cant Bl**dy Sitstill
AnswerID: 44949

Reply By: Peter - Saturday, Jan 31, 2004 at 14:22

Saturday, Jan 31, 2004 at 14:22
Michelle and others
Mant thanks for the feedback it has been very helpful and yes Michelle I shall look up the Journal.
Regards
Peter
AnswerID: 44959

Reply By: Member - Mark- Sunday, Feb 01, 2004 at 18:36

Sunday, Feb 01, 2004 at 18:36
Peter,

Have just returned from doing the Anne Beadell East to WEst. Left Coober Pedy on 12.01.04 and arrived in Laverton on 16.01.04. We travelled in a group of four vehicles and did not sight another vehicle until we reached Laverton. Diesel is available in limited supply but not guaranteed at Ilkulka (170kms west of border). Contact Peter Twigg by email at spinifex.org.au well in advance to enquire about diesel.

We had no problems whatsoever with any of the four vehicles. As long as your vehicle is well prepared and you carry plenty of water you shouldn't have any problems. HF would probably be advisable if travelling solo.

Road conditions from the border through to Laverton were excellent. The worst conditions were within the Tallaringa Conservation Park. Most washouts have permanent detours around them.

This is an enjoyable trip. Hope all goes well.

Mark
AnswerID: 45066

Follow Up By: Peter - Monday, Feb 02, 2004 at 16:46

Monday, Feb 02, 2004 at 16:46
Thanks Mark
I have tried that email address but it is not recognised.Can you help further
Peter
FollowupID: 307275

Follow Up By: Member - Mark- Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 21:13

Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 21:13
Try the following phone or fax numbers for Ian Baird. ph: 08 9037 1100 fax: 08 9037 1101. Ian will get in touch with Peter Twigg for you.

Hope this helps.
FollowupID: 307433

Sponsored Links