Ford Ranger

Submitted: Friday, Mar 29, 2013 at 16:24
ThreadID: 101374 Views:5700 Replies:7 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
General opinion these days (or is it clever marketing) is that Ford Ranger is the pick of the recent crop of 4WD dual cab utes for off road use. Anyone with first hand experience of this claim? Also, is the BT 50 identical to Ranger apart from the body shell? If so does this apply only to current models (say 2011/12)?
I am in the market for a late model (2009 onwards) 4WD Ute and I would appreciate any opinions on the above. Thanks.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rockape - Friday, Mar 29, 2013 at 16:46

Friday, Mar 29, 2013 at 16:46
Michael,
Yes it is a clever marketing ploy. Mine has done everything they said it would do so far.

Excellant offroad and good on the road. I tested it on a not so friendly ex logging track and it came up trumps. Will be towing with it in a couple of weeks for a shakedown trip to see how it goes.

Like. The power, handling, auto box and the 4wd capability.

Don't like. Some of the electrical things, seating so, so. K's per hundred and tank to empty are BS.

Having been able to drive many late model 4wds I found it very, very good.

AnswerID: 507815

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Saturday, Mar 30, 2013 at 09:16

Saturday, Mar 30, 2013 at 09:16
"Yes it is a clever marketing ploy. Mine has done everything they said it would do so far."

Yeah have to agree and they do it well, not quite Hilux build quality but everything else is miles in front....... love the power and the trans.

There are a few thing we don't like like the air con, the two middle face vent location and air direction, no ignition key illumination and no reach adjustable steering.

We drove many others plus we owned a current model Hilux and out of them all the Ranger was the star pick.
FollowupID: 785129

Reply By: Notso - Friday, Mar 29, 2013 at 17:14

Friday, Mar 29, 2013 at 17:14
There were engine differences in the previous models.

The recent models share everything except some panels and suspension set up.
AnswerID: 507819

Reply By: rocco2010 - Friday, Mar 29, 2013 at 18:14

Friday, Mar 29, 2013 at 18:14
Gidday

if you are going back as far as 2009 you are not talking about the current model. I have a late 2008 build which is the PJ and that was followed by the PK which was not much more than a cosmetic change. The current model is an entirely different beast with a bigger body and bigger engine just for starters.
I have done 80,000km in mine and nothing has broken or fallen off and that includes on trips along the Anne Beadell, connie sue and gunbarrell highways. Since i got one of those u beaut Ipad apps that keeps track of fuel use I know that over the last six months it averages 8.11l/100km with a best of 7.67 and worst of 8.75. That doesn't include much 4wd work so its best case scenario...lots of freeway running.
A lot of people are sceptical about the modern ute's durability particularly when towing close to the maximum a lot of the time. I don't tow but I would be a bit sceptical too.
Otherwise i would happily buy another one

Cheers
AnswerID: 507822

Reply By: Member - Peter H1 (NSW) - Saturday, Mar 30, 2013 at 09:21

Saturday, Mar 30, 2013 at 09:21
Hi,
My Ranger tows a 29' 5'er and I get 18L/100 with it. and 8L/100 without it.
so far towed about 9K total on clock is 13K
AnswerID: 507847

Follow Up By: Neil - ACT - Saturday, Mar 30, 2013 at 20:51

Saturday, Mar 30, 2013 at 20:51
Hi,
Have had the 3.2 litre 6-speed auto since early December 2012, and agree with the above fuel consumption figures. We are towing a 19ft off-road caravan (approx 2650kg loaded). Have found the vehicle a distinct improvement overall to our previous vehicle - NS Pajero. Hav had all after market electrical work done by an auto-electrician - just to make sure no issues with the CANBUS wiring, and have replaced the standard Ford towbar with a Hayman Reese towbar so that we can use a WDH - the car/caravan combination is a much more 'comfortable' unit to drive now.

Colliedogs
FollowupID: 785191

Follow Up By: Neil - ACT - Saturday, Mar 30, 2013 at 21:05

Saturday, Mar 30, 2013 at 21:05
Hi again,

Further to above follow-up, just wish there was as much real-world info on the Ranger as there is on the Pajeros through the Vic Pajero Club website. So far, the local Ford dealers and Ford Customer Care are very unimpressive on their knowledge of the vehicle, and particularly the issues associated with towing a medium/large caravan. Their shallow, 'vanilla' responses to various queries does not come within coo-ee of what I could quite readily get for the Pajero from the Pajero Club website and Mitsubishi's Customer Care Advisors.
FollowupID: 785194

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Sunday, Mar 31, 2013 at 12:34

Sunday, Mar 31, 2013 at 12:34
Neil there is a Ranger Forum that has heaps of information and it's world wide based.

http://newranger.net/
FollowupID: 785227

Follow Up By: shylok - Tuesday, Apr 02, 2013 at 17:08

Tuesday, Apr 02, 2013 at 17:08
Definately check out the website as the amount of info and things that have been done and problems solved is amazing.
I look at it all the time to see what people have done as problems etc are sorted out here before Ford know about it
I have a px ranger dual cab with bullbar and canopy and tow a 2700kg caravan and I am rapped in the towing and handling of it, economy is better than my prado
Ken
FollowupID: 785419

Reply By: gbc - Saturday, Mar 30, 2013 at 10:26

Saturday, Mar 30, 2013 at 10:26
I'm looking at the moment too. I'd say the twin cab race to get our $ at the moment is between the ford and the vw. Every motor test I've read has slated the Mazda in comparison to the ford - journos can't believe they got it so wrong. I drove the vw the other day - it's no rocket ship ( similar output to my current Colorado) but it ticks all the right boxes. Most importantly it has the euro system of taring so it's tow capacity includes a full load in the ute as well. It is much better sprung than any of the others and their fleet discount is nearing $10k. The ford has the power but also has a few niggles and rides harder. Biggest problem with the ford is the spec levels. The vw gets the full house in running gear right from base. I need to buy xlt fords to get a rear locker and electronic traction gizmos which suddenly makes it a whole lot more expensive. That's an old Toyota trick that won't fly anymore. I can drive away an amarok trendline for $43k with the full house of safety gizmos.
AnswerID: 507851

Follow Up By: DIGGER 12 - Saturday, Mar 30, 2013 at 13:52

Saturday, Mar 30, 2013 at 13:52
Got a 2012 XLT dual cab auto with about 9000 ks on the clock mostly road work with a reasonable amount of beach / sand driving OM emu 2 inch lift and dunlop duelers 967 unstoppable so far. one pain in the ? Is the seat when one slides out you touch the hight adjuster leaver and the seat goes down P poor design ,told my dealer to bad so sad basically was his response told him that having to readjust seat every time will break the leaver that was on tuesday. had a look at seat yesterday good friday guess what ??? Leaver broken .so who do you think is getting rocket this tuesday ? PS am getting a steel canopy draws,dial battery and long rang tank for the Simpson in july ,will plant the blue oval flag on top of Big Red ! No chicken track . Digger 12
FollowupID: 785149

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Sunday, Mar 31, 2013 at 20:07

Sunday, Mar 31, 2013 at 20:07
The XL has all the traction controls and safety stuff except electronic rear diff as the VW.

Ford comes standard with Bluetooth and VW is $1000 option.
FollowupID: 785262

Follow Up By: gbc - Sunday, Mar 31, 2013 at 20:13

Sunday, Mar 31, 2013 at 20:13
Bluetooth is standard on the vw now. I didn't find that out until I went in. They haven't changed the brochure yet. I saw the diff lock was an option on the xl. Ill see just how much they want for one. I'd like a rear locker for the once or twice a year I'd really want one.
FollowupID: 785263

Follow Up By: Rockape - Monday, Apr 01, 2013 at 05:52

Monday, Apr 01, 2013 at 05:52
If you order the base xl ford auto with a diff lock it will cost $500 more.
FollowupID: 785271

Reply By: MICHAEL W3 - Tuesday, Apr 02, 2013 at 22:10

Tuesday, Apr 02, 2013 at 22:10
Thanks everyone. That was a great response and certainly answered my questions.

A few people talked about the Ranger diff locks. Apparently the auto locking operates from the ABS sensors which detect a speed difference between a pair of wheels and pulse the brakes to slow down the spinning wheel and transfer motion to the grounded wheel. Sounds great but how long will it last on the Tanami or the Simpson?? Sorry to ask so many questions, but you guys are the ones with the first hand experience. No point asking the dealer salesmen/women.
AnswerID: 508057

Reply By: BluePrint Industries Pty Ltd - Sunday, Apr 07, 2013 at 14:18

Sunday, Apr 07, 2013 at 14:18
Whilst the PX ford is the same drive train as the new 2011- BT50 Mazda, the Mazda models include Diff lock, Stabiity control, and Hill decent as standard accross the range but with Ford these are options.

We have a base model Mazda space cab, that comes standard with stability contorl, rear diff lock, hill decent.

The Mazda is worth a look. They are a very capable 4x4

42,000Kms so far and happy with the Mazda.

K
AnswerID: 508415

Sponsored Links