Return from Hopetoun

Submitted: Monday, Apr 01, 2013 at 14:21
ThreadID: 101408 Views:1665 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi everyone

We had a lovely time at Hopetoun only 2 nights. We stayed at the caravan park but boy! was it noisy. The park was chockers and alot of partying people. I have a new appreciation for the free parking out of towns :) The Caravan Park is owned by a couple called Leonie and Phil who have owned the park for 6 years. They were fairly disorganised with bookings as they couldn't find ours and we sat in limbo waiting for them to decide to let us in. Said something about the other Caravan Park using a name similar to theirs and causing them alot of problems however the other park is called Wave Resort or something like that. Wave resort is inland about 8 kms out of north of town. Hopetoun Caravan Park is in an ideal spot right on the beach but protected by the dunes. Will put some further info on the "Places" tab along with photos.

Apparently, the folk lore for Hopetoun is “Easter rains”. Well it did for the first day(dry enough to set up camp though) but the second day was pretty close to perfect. But wouldn’t you know it there was too much seaweed to fish for salmon and apparently the only people catching salmon were people with boats out in deeper water. Bummer! There goes one of the things I set out to do, then we set out for Ravensthorpe where I heard there was some Tourmaline spotted in an old quarry some years back but low and behold the only things we kept seeing was “Active Mining” signs. There goes two of the things planned to do. So then we decided to go for a drive up the scenic look out at Ravensthorpe now that was beautiful and well worth the trip. Used my camera for a panorama shot which I had just learnt recently. Got some great shots! Had hoped to catch up with family I hadn’t seen for about 10 years but they were all out of town forEaster. My surprise back fired :(

We forgot the doona and would have froze but, thank God, I had brought a 12 volt electric blanket 12 mths ago and had never used it and it was already on the bed so needless to say it got a good work out over the two nights. It was fantastic! And saved the day.

Got to see and photograph a Wedge Tailed Eagle up close also. So all in all we had a great short stay. I awoke to what I thought was my alarm but it was a little bird. Right on cue 6.00 am the little stinker. Somebody must have trained him.

Hamersley Road which takes you from Hopetoun through the Fitzgerald National Park was closed also. That was another point of the trip that failed. Oh well, just means I'll have to do it again..yipee!!

Cheerio
Dirt

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Gone Bush (WA) - Monday, Apr 01, 2013 at 15:06

Monday, Apr 01, 2013 at 15:06
There is another caravan park attached to Wavecrest Village in Hopetoun.

I haven't been there but friends who live in Wavecrest Village say it has drive through sites and, I think, should be comparitively peaceful given it is not as well known as the other one.

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 507966

Follow Up By: bibtracker - Monday, Apr 01, 2013 at 16:48

Monday, Apr 01, 2013 at 16:48
Gone Bush, do you friends enjoy Wavecrest Village? I plan to head down there later this week specifically to check it out. It certainly seems very affordable and a good base for someone like me who wants to go off touring.
The saleswoman I spoke to said their CP was not really geared up to cater for kids.

Cheers, Tony
FollowupID: 785321

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Monday, Apr 01, 2013 at 17:54

Monday, Apr 01, 2013 at 17:54
Tony, they certainly do enjoy the village down there.

I spoke to them an hour ago and they said there is a noticeable increase in the number of people looking to buy.

Maybe the word is spreading. Don't leave your visit too long.

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 785328

Follow Up By: bibtracker - Tuesday, Apr 02, 2013 at 01:16

Tuesday, Apr 02, 2013 at 01:16
Many thanks for that info. I have to get cracking to get some time down there before the school holidays start April 19.

Cheers, Tony
FollowupID: 785366

Reply By: jacent - Monday, Apr 01, 2013 at 23:59

Monday, Apr 01, 2013 at 23:59
Park mix ups happen more often than you think, my parents used to have a caravan park in flinders called flinders caravan park and people used to turn up peak time with a booking that had never been taken by us as we were booked out for months prior only to find out they had called another caravan park called flinders park in s.a and booked in thinking it was ours, naturally they blamed us for losing their booking but a simple call to flinders park in south Australia confirmed they had made a mistake! Either way everyone is only human and people do make mistakes. I always confirm my bookings a week to a few days before just in case!
AnswerID: 507990

Reply By: Member - LG__ - Tuesday, Apr 02, 2013 at 00:16

Tuesday, Apr 02, 2013 at 00:16
Thanks for a wonderful review DP! The photos are great too.

I'm very happy to learn about the boardwalk system to get down to the beaches -
I haven't found a 4wd walking stick yet ;-)
AnswerID: 507993

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (9)