Nissan VS Toyota: 46 Years Ago!!

Submitted: Friday, Apr 05, 2013 at 09:04
ThreadID: 101519 Views:3164 Replies:6 FollowUps:23
This Thread has been Archived
Interesting bit of nostalgia from 1967. Toyotas’ weaknesses…rattling door locks and poor brakes; Nissan exhaust outlet poorly located allowing fumes in cabin, slow wipers with poor coverage…. Toyota had a higher price than Nissan, both use about 17litres/100km (converted to today’s norm).
What do you find interesting about this era of 4X4’s?
What would your choice have been in 1967?

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: tim_c - Friday, Apr 05, 2013 at 09:40

Friday, Apr 05, 2013 at 09:40
And were already talking about electric cars way back then!

(see Toyota page, RHS)
AnswerID: 508257

Reply By: Member - Rosco from way back - Friday, Apr 05, 2013 at 09:59

Friday, Apr 05, 2013 at 09:59
Yep

Both dogs in comparison to today's vehicles. From my recollection the Nissan was considered to have a slightly better engine (both about 4 litre straight 6), however it was sorely let down by it's 3 speed gearbox with no synchro on 1st.
They were both very prone to rust. Particularly the Nissan due to the way the panels lapped.

There was quite an industry involved in the manufacture of fibreglass replacement panels.

However, having said all that, they were quite competent vehicles off-road ......... as long as you had a good quality kidney belt.
AnswerID: 508260

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Friday, Apr 05, 2013 at 10:08

Friday, Apr 05, 2013 at 10:08
In 1967 both Toyota and Nissan had 3 speed gearboxes with no 1st gear synchro. Toyota didn't bring out a 4 speed full synchro until 1973 on the LWB and 1974 on the SWB models. Nissan brought out their 4 speed all synchro in 1980 with the MQ model.
None of the modern day comforts back then. Lol

Cheers
Pop
FollowupID: 785691

Follow Up By: Member - Rosco from way back - Friday, Apr 05, 2013 at 10:15

Friday, Apr 05, 2013 at 10:15
I stand corrected and bow to your better memory old son. I bought an MQ shorty in 1981, as at the time they were the pick of the bunch .... sorta quite flash as I recall.
FollowupID: 785692

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Friday, Apr 05, 2013 at 10:31

Friday, Apr 05, 2013 at 10:31
I suspect my memory is quite well described by the term "old son" lol

When they came out the MQ was a very flash unit compared to the Toyota offering of that era. I know I had one, Toyota 1974 SWB that is. The ride could best be described as agricultural. Hardened you up and destroyed a couple of vertebrae in the process.

Cheers
Pop
FollowupID: 785697

Follow Up By: Bazooka - Friday, Apr 05, 2013 at 19:23

Friday, Apr 05, 2013 at 19:23
I bought a green and yellow diesel MQ shortie in 1980 from the first shipload to arrive. Drove it to central Australia a couple of weeks later. It was luxurious compared to the 3 speed (which a mate owned) and the Toybox but agricultural by today's standards. I recall driving a work short wheelie Toy on a moderately bouncy tar road prior to buying the Nissan. I was almost ill from the backwards and forwards pitching in less than a 10km trip. In the mid nineties I read a review of the swb MQ by someone who obviously knew little about them. She claimed one of the problems with older trucks was that the headlights point to the sky. Impossible with the stiff leaf sprung/floating leaf config on the Nissan although not uncommon on the Toy from what I heard. Those were the days.
FollowupID: 785759

Follow Up By: Outnabout.. - Sunday, Apr 07, 2013 at 07:39

Sunday, Apr 07, 2013 at 07:39
Technically the Cruiser had a 4 spee box in the FJ28 but was dropped in about 1961 with the 40 series.
FollowupID: 785889

Reply By: Rockape - Friday, Apr 05, 2013 at 10:18

Friday, Apr 05, 2013 at 10:18
Thank god they came along so we could get rid of landrovers. Boy am I going to cop it.

I favoured the Toyotas. I don't know why as I drove both at the time.

The Nissans and Toyotas sure changed the face of 4wds for the better. Then later on about 1975 the little LJ50 2 stroke suzuki came along and it was a great light weight.

Great medium weight trucks of that era were the 6x6 and 6x4 Isuzu's, D6000 Toyota's and the best of all the 1418 Benz. Heavy weight B61 mack and the K 125 Kenny's. My choices only.
AnswerID: 508262

Follow Up By: Member - Rosco from way back - Friday, Apr 05, 2013 at 11:07

Friday, Apr 05, 2013 at 11:07
The little LJ50 was our 1st 4WD. What an amazing vehicle. At the time we had a giant German Shepherd ... Max. He virtually filled the back of the little truck. If we were driving down the road and he saw another dog he used to bark and jump around which rocked the vehicle quite alarmingly plus fart most horribly. Quite a combo of talents had old Max.

I recall one time we managed to get it bogged up on Bribie Is. A couple of burly lads grabbed the bullbar and physically lifted it sidesways out of the sand.
FollowupID: 785707

Follow Up By: Member - Wamuranman - Friday, Apr 05, 2013 at 11:47

Friday, Apr 05, 2013 at 11:47
Yes that will bring a few out of the woodwork RA!
(Thank god they came along so we could get rid of landrovers)

Cheers
FollowupID: 785710

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H3 - Friday, Apr 05, 2013 at 12:04

Friday, Apr 05, 2013 at 12:04
My mate and I went beach fishing down at Greenough,the fj55 was his pride and joy at around half ten at night we decide to head for home, the cruiser got bogged down so far that Hercules could,t get us out we were lucky along comes this little ity bitty suzi and the bloke driving it says do you need a tow we both scoff and say you couldn't pull us out with that thing, but we take our pride in our hands and grab the life line that is offered the suzi pulled us out ok with no problem, that's when we learnt to let your tyres down in soft sand. a couple of weeks later driving around Geraldton I see the suzi and on the back of it is a sign, landcruiser recovery vehicle, one so far. that was the first time I had seen one of the recovery stickers.
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 785711

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Friday, Apr 05, 2013 at 12:06

Friday, Apr 05, 2013 at 12:06
Hey come on guys, my 1st 4WD was a SWB 196? Landy. Cantankerous little b*****d that it was it had something that my later Toyota's didn't have. It had personality...it had character...it had a bloody mean streak.
Now I found most of my Landcruisers were a bit boring in some ways. Put the key in, give it a crank and 99% of the time away you go. Not that &^%$#@! Landy. It went when it was good and ready, usually after a good helping of expletives and muttered threats of fire bombings. Yes that little car had something that others didn't (;-0)

Cheers
Pop
FollowupID: 785713

Follow Up By: Rockape - Friday, Apr 05, 2013 at 13:07

Friday, Apr 05, 2013 at 13:07
Pop,
here is one of mine. See those dents, they were caused by my foot when it would annoy me.

In the photo it looks like I was using the air-con that day

FollowupID: 785725

Follow Up By: Member - Rosco from way back - Friday, Apr 05, 2013 at 13:12

Friday, Apr 05, 2013 at 13:12
No worries Pop. I had 4 Landies in a row ( I let old Wamuranman have his say and let off steam ... ) It can certainly be said that they have a soul of sorts ... compared to the boringly reliable Jap jobbies.

And who could forget Lucas ... The Prince of Darkness. Charged with ensuring the unreliability of the electrics.
FollowupID: 785727

Follow Up By: Rockape - Friday, Apr 05, 2013 at 13:19

Friday, Apr 05, 2013 at 13:19
Have to try again. see after all these years it is still causing problems.

FollowupID: 785729

Follow Up By: Bazooka - Friday, Apr 05, 2013 at 19:35

Friday, Apr 05, 2013 at 19:35
Is the "log-haired git" at the back giving you a push RA? ;-)
FollowupID: 785760

Follow Up By: Rockape - Friday, Apr 05, 2013 at 20:07

Friday, Apr 05, 2013 at 20:07
Nah,
Fred was to lazy for that. He would have been partaking in a cool drink.
FollowupID: 785761

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Friday, Apr 05, 2013 at 20:08

Friday, Apr 05, 2013 at 20:08
Are yes, good old Lord Lucas. Many a time spent wiling away the hours trying to get some sense out of that wonderful set of so called electrics invented to cause some poor bloody owner/sparky/mechanic to consider suicide as a much preferred option rather than continue working on them.

RA, I see you were also taking advantage of the nice warm oil vapour enhanced flow through ventilation system mounted just below the windscreen and designed to make full use of the hot air seeping out of the bonnet. Just the ticket for high temperature high humidity environments.

Many, many years ago I was offered a series 2 LWB ute that had taken up permanent residence in a farm shed. The bloke somehow managed to come to the conclusion that it would make a good restoration project for me. I think my refusal was taken as some sort of insult. Might have been my suggestion that he and his Landrover should become more than friends...lol

Cheers
Pop
FollowupID: 785762

Reply By: Batt's - Friday, Apr 05, 2013 at 21:27

Friday, Apr 05, 2013 at 21:27
And most of these old 4x4's will go just about any where a new flash one will go and further in some cases and without 150 or 200 kilo watts under the bonnet.
AnswerID: 508295

Follow Up By: Member - Wamuranman - Friday, Apr 05, 2013 at 21:35

Friday, Apr 05, 2013 at 21:35
Thats a good point I've often thought about...these old models have a haulmark of simplicity and ease of maintenance and repairs. I wonder how many 200 series will still be pottering around with all their electrical gadgetry 46 years from now?

FollowupID: 785769

Follow Up By: Batt's - Friday, Apr 05, 2013 at 21:56

Friday, Apr 05, 2013 at 21:56
Nobody will know what a 200 series is in 46yrs I bet the 40 will be still running around though. And yes simplicity is the key, deep river crossings no problem you got use to getting wet feet if you wanted to bolt something on just drill a hole threw the body or wherever you need to slap on some tectyl do the bolt up and away ya go.
FollowupID: 785773

Follow Up By: Member - Scott M (NSW) - Friday, Apr 05, 2013 at 22:52

Friday, Apr 05, 2013 at 22:52
* cough * - 30 years old and still going stong
FollowupID: 785783

Follow Up By: Crackles - Friday, Apr 12, 2013 at 11:10

Friday, Apr 12, 2013 at 11:10
"And most of these old 4x4's will go just about any where a new flash one will go and further in some cases and without 150 or 200 kilo watts under the bonnet."
Batts having just bought an old BJ 42 (best of the shorties) plus owning it's current eqivelant, the FJ Cruiser all I can say is you've been watching too many Snowy Mountains Hydro propaganda documentries :-) When it comes to 4x4 performance the current Toy is far superior in every facet of offroad use (as one would expect it should) & have no doubt it will pass the total KM's of the old girl in less than 10 years & still be going strong. While simpler to repair many forget that the old girls needed alot more attention to keep on the road than the modern offerings.
Cheers Craig.............
FollowupID: 786426

Follow Up By: Batt's - Saturday, Apr 13, 2013 at 02:57

Saturday, Apr 13, 2013 at 02:57
The defender 90 would be about the closest thing to a 40ser that would be a good comparison for old verses new not your prado chassis BJ. Never seen one of thoe's docs only a clip here and there I'm talking from owner experience I've owner late model & old 4X4's and was stating how capable they are compared to what is available now the only reason the new one's might be able to go further is because of ,traction control, diff locks, computers, etc they need these to help them compete with the old girls which is what I was trying to. I bet more of the 40ser where used off road by people who aren't afraid they might scratch their precious 4WD> And yes you might say there dearer and more expensive and full of luxury items now which in my opinion is the main problem they should be rugged and rough to keep the softc***s out of them because they where built for that purpose and excelled at that .There not la di da 4X4's packed full of electrical components that MOST PEOPLE WILL NEVER OR EVEN KNOW HOW TO USE. Now let me think for a minute why do they need more attention could it be their age and as well their a dam site cheaper to fix when they need attention because you can do most of the work yourself you don't need a computer. I have only owned and driven FJ40's and have never been in a diesel one I don't know if it is your first 40 but if your not afraid to use it you will find out how good the are and don't put diff locks in the front like that stupid roothy has you'll only break things he busts something nearly every time he uses them.
FollowupID: 786501

Follow Up By: Crackles - Saturday, Apr 13, 2013 at 22:26

Saturday, Apr 13, 2013 at 22:26
Drove 40's for work back in the day but despite being sentamental enough to buy one are still realistic about their offroad performance compared to my modern la di da prado love child. As good as they were for their time I'd still back the new bus on any surface with all the fancy electric gizmo's turned off! Alot has to be said for a power to weight ratio of 100KW per tonne ;-)
Still I look forward to cleaning up the ol girl & chugging over the Simpson in her one day.
Cheers Craig............
FollowupID: 786579

Reply By: Bill N2 - Saturday, Apr 06, 2013 at 14:36

Saturday, Apr 06, 2013 at 14:36
What I find interesting about this article is that it instantly took me back 47 years to my apprenticeship which I started in 1966 at a little Toyota dealership in Queensland. Being the lowest paid employee in the shop I was the one who got sent to Brisbane by Fokker Friendship to pick up cars and drive them the 330 miles back home.
Agricultural is the best word to describe the Toyota LC at that time. In the middle of winter on the back road through Nanango Yarraman at night was a very memorable experience.
It's easy to criticize them now but at that time we had the option of LLLLLLandRRRRover [ just thinking of them makes me stutter, removing gearboxes through the floor caused psychological scarring I'm sure ] or Ex army Jeeps.
The 6 cylinder Cruiser was the best thing to ever hit the market for farmers and graziers where I come from.
The Nissan was a bullet proof unit even in those days, but the LC seemed to have better marketing and service network.
Just as a side issue, I bought German made Dowidat metric tools in 1966. I still have them and apart from some of the more commonly used sockets they're still as good as the day I got them.
AnswerID: 508333

Follow Up By: Member - Wamuranman - Saturday, Apr 06, 2013 at 19:26

Saturday, Apr 06, 2013 at 19:26
I know that area well Bill. I love to go for a drive up through the South Burnett. Whenever we get a new vehicle we always head off for a trip up that way to run it in so to speak.
Thanks for your comments.
Cheers
FollowupID: 785850

Reply By: Member - joc45 (WA) - Wednesday, Apr 10, 2013 at 22:55

Wednesday, Apr 10, 2013 at 22:55
I drove both the FJ45 ute and the 'luxurious' FJ55 wagons back in '69-72 in a work capacity, mainly between Perth and Eucla.
And the drum brakes on both weren't all that hot - I found that I could pull up quicker when pulling a caravan, using the caravan vacuum brakes as well (there was a manual control on the steering column for the caravan brakes).
The 45 was pretty hopeless at towing a heavy industrial caravan - the vehicle was all over the place. Judicious application of the manual caravan brakes seemed to straighten the wobble up.
I recall the 6-cyl engine was about 3.4 or 3.6 litres, supposedly of an old wartime Chev design. Quite poor torque, not helped by the 3-speed box; a 4 cyl 4-speed Landie was much better in sand.
Our fuel consumption used to be about 10mpg, but then we pushed them. The Landie we had gave us about 15mpg, but was much slooower. The 10 gallon fuel tank on the Landie was a joke - ok for GB, but useless out in the bush here in Oz. The Cruisers had about a 20 gallon tank (90L), I recall. Our 55 wagon had an aftermarket 20-gallon tank fitted behind the back seat, so range was quite good, though we always seemed to run out on one tank just as you were passing someone!
But the speed of the FJ55 was what impressed - we used to have no problem hitting 90mph out on the Nullarbor then, but it took nerves of steel to keep it on a steady course.
We used to frequently have wheel studs shear, and twice lost a wheel when towing a trailer (no, not at 90mph!). Luckily, no serious accident on either occasion. Our Automotive Plant gurus' response was for us to check the nuts every day before driving off.
One of our 55s was replaced in '71 with a much better 4-speed 55. Much better put together, better interior fittings, and a lot better in the sand. A bigger engine and a (slightly) better fuel economy - Toyota must have played with the tuning of the engine, as it was better all round. Unfortunately we rolled it at 8000 miles on the clock, writing it off, and we reverted to the older wagon. One ageing 55 blew the motor at about 85,000 miles, about 200 miles out on the Nullarbor. We had been pressing for a replacement wagon for some time, but this forced the hand of our employer. An expensive recovery back to town.
Other annoying things were the buzzing transfer case lever. We used to tie an occy strap to the lever and hook it under the dashboard to stop it rattling.
And the sunvisors! Turned down, they finished on a plane about 10cm above one's eyes, so were totally useless driving into the sun. I'm 180cm; ie, not short, so I don't know how Japanese drivers fared driving into the sun. To cure this, I used to hang a magazine over the visor so it finished on a plane just above my eyes.
The vinyl seats were terrible in hot weather out on the Nullarbor, so I used to put a towel on the seat (no a/c in those days). At least they were more comfortable than the square block of foam cushion that Landrover supplied back then.
Back then the Japanese weren't sure how much info to provide in their owner's handbook. There was a chapter on how to engage and disengage the clutch, change gears and apply the brakes!
Gerry
AnswerID: 508703

Follow Up By: Bill N2 - Friday, Apr 12, 2013 at 07:54

Friday, Apr 12, 2013 at 07:54
Funny you should mention the buzzing transfer lever, well, not funny really more pathetic really.
I have a 2006 105 series with the most BUZZIEST [ I know that's totally unacceptable spelling and grammar but I can't help it ] transfer lever ever to come out of a Toyo factory. Disappointing after all this time that Toyo can't solve such a simple issue.

Having said that I must say the ride quality on the standard suspension is excellent. So since 1966 advances have been made.
I used to service some of the roo shooters vehicles, those boys really knew how to get the best out of a 4WD.
FollowupID: 786398

Sponsored Links