Corrugations . . . . you're going hate this

Submitted: Saturday, Apr 06, 2013 at 13:57
ThreadID: 101534 Views:6479 Replies:11 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
I hope you have a fee weekend to try to absorb this scientific explanation. I have to admit I didn't make it to the end.

Please just take this to be what I think it is, a lot of hard working scientists trying to make the world a better place. Did they succeed ? . . . . . you be the judge.
And NO, I don't need to know your answer.

Ciao
Cocka

I sometimes question my sanity . . . . and then it answers back.
Carpe diem

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Laurie K (WA) - Saturday, Apr 06, 2013 at 14:15

Saturday, Apr 06, 2013 at 14:15
Yep, that's pretty straight forward …………

I think ……… :-)
AnswerID: 508329

Follow Up By: Member - MUZBRY(Vic) - Saturday, Apr 06, 2013 at 14:24

Saturday, Apr 06, 2013 at 14:24
Gday Laurie
Sounds rite to me as well.

Muzbry
Great place to be Mt Blue Rag 27/12/2012

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 785828

Reply By: Pathycop - Saturday, Apr 06, 2013 at 14:18

Saturday, Apr 06, 2013 at 14:18
Ermm? Thanks I think? LOL ;)

I did 5 lines and got confused!

ta

Graeme
AnswerID: 508330

Reply By: The Explorer - Saturday, Apr 06, 2013 at 14:30

Saturday, Apr 06, 2013 at 14:30
Oh no not again....:)

The 2012 corrugation discussion

The 2009 version...

and 2006

just to name a few - I think there is a link in some of these to Doctor Karl's summary explanation which some may find easier reading.

Cheers
Greg

I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 508331

Follow Up By: Member - Warrie (NSW) - Sunday, Apr 07, 2013 at 09:49

Sunday, Apr 07, 2013 at 09:49
Those Yanks - they only assumed an amplitude of a mere 50 mm. Here in Oz we make 'em triple the size , just like our road trains!....W
Warrie

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 785906

Reply By: member - mazcan - Saturday, Apr 06, 2013 at 14:58

Saturday, Apr 06, 2013 at 14:58
hi cocka
not only do horregations grind salt
they grind vehicles and people away
cheers
AnswerID: 508334

Reply By: Mick O - Saturday, Apr 06, 2013 at 15:49

Saturday, Apr 06, 2013 at 15:49
Naturally everyone knows that a corrugation is simply a physical manifestation of an underlying instability mechanism, a “relaxation oscillation,” caused essentially by stick-slip dynamics.

Elementary really ;-)

''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 508336

Follow Up By: member - mazcan - Saturday, Apr 06, 2013 at 16:30

Saturday, Apr 06, 2013 at 16:30
g'onya mick o
I also assumed that too !
what a great play of words they have used
typical academics
one thing I do know is in 1987 when I first travelled on the CSR
their were no corregations at all ---none-- zilch
they only developed after people started trying to do quick trips up or down the canning at high speed with more and more convoys and more powerfull vehicles towing trailers it was from then on the horrogations started to form and have got to what they are today as you know them
I am in no way pointing the finger at any one
just stating the facts of a developing situation over many years and that's life on the CSR
as it is today rough as guts
i'm glad I had the experience on the top half in 1987 as it was a real pleasure to drive along it and at the end of each day one didnt feel like you had been put through an iron ore separation plant like it is now
it was a casual drive you could look around and take it all in and didnt have to put 100% concentration into trying to maintain a straight line within the wheel tracks
something no one today will ever be able do
i did the lower half in 2002 there was quiet a bit of rough stuff by then but not as bad as now
cheers
FollowupID: 785833

Reply By: Rockape - Saturday, Apr 06, 2013 at 16:15

Saturday, Apr 06, 2013 at 16:15
What absolute rubbish that PDF was and all the other theories.

Corrugations were invented by the Australian Dentist Association . They first used the stump jump plow to create them and rattle the fillings from your head. This created work. As time went by they used more sophisticated methods, such as graders. Instead of grading the roads they paid covert operators good money to rip them, which then had their income soaring as the corrugations increase the filling failure 10 fold.

All was going well until the advent of fluoride. When this came about the number of fillings drop off and the same could be said about their income. Bugger.

To counter this, they paid to have bigger and bigger loads placed on the roads and came up with the solid tyre saying it was an advance in technology that would negate the flat tyre. This now caused teeth to be ground down so they quickly moved their income source to false teeth and the removal of broken teeth.
Shortly after they realized the dental technicians were making more money than them and so a new tack was taken

So began the new scheme to generate income. This was in the form of lobbying for the removal of fluoride on the basis it is a poison. This political move has been a complete success. They quickly did it during the rein of Julia as they knew that Tony couldn’t or wouldn’t agree to anything. They tried, but always the same answer No.

Now the fillings are back on the agenda , They have decided to reduce the size of the corrugations as they have regained the standard of living they so richly deserved.

We can now rejoice that corrugations will decline from 2013 onwards.

For those who still find the corrugations to much,. Get something with a bit of horsepower and drag a 988 tyre behind you, if everyone did this we can defeat the corrugations caused by the ADA.

I don’t have to follow the above as all I do is drag my knuckles.

Newsflash. The panel beating association and the Society of Plastic surgeons have realised the potential of corrugations leading down to 1 lane bridges. Be warned.

AnswerID: 508338

Follow Up By: Member - Jack - Saturday, Apr 06, 2013 at 16:31

Saturday, Apr 06, 2013 at 16:31
Yep! You got it in one!!!

Jack
The hurrieder I go, the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll-Alice In Wonderland)

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 785834

Follow Up By: member - mazcan - Saturday, Apr 06, 2013 at 16:40

Saturday, Apr 06, 2013 at 16:40
hi rockape
I don't know what your on but there is enough b /s in your post to fill in every corregation on every rd in aus
whot a character
cheers
FollowupID: 785836

Follow Up By: Rockape - Saturday, Apr 06, 2013 at 16:55

Saturday, Apr 06, 2013 at 16:55
Maza,
if you like I will send you a list of the best drugs I used. Now days, I don't even need them. My brain does it for free. Wow the advantages of getting older.

As the OP said, your gunna hate this. Well from someone who has bounced over thousands of them both loaded and empty I am over them, the only other reason for them is. They hate me, or you can accept my thesis on the matter that is more realistic. LOL.

FollowupID: 785838

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Sunday, Apr 07, 2013 at 09:05

Sunday, Apr 07, 2013 at 09:05
And I always thought they were there to tests ones automobile to see if anything was going to rattle, fall off or fatigue.
FollowupID: 785901

Reply By: Echucan Bob - Saturday, Apr 06, 2013 at 19:43

Saturday, Apr 06, 2013 at 19:43
These guys make some assumptions with which I disagree. I am pretty sure that corrugations are in fact started by the mechanism proposed by Relton ie the wheel pushes dirt, metal, bitumen ahead of it as it rolls along until the pile reaches a certain height and the wheel runs over the top of it. Once small corrugations have been formed I think the mechanism proposed by Mather starts to occur ie the wheel lands in the valley with sufficient force to break up the surface. They assume the wheel stays in contact with the road all the time - this isn't the case- I've seen wheels bounce into the air. The other effect that I propose is that when the wheel leaves the road it spins faster than the road speed, then, when it hits the ground again, it bites causing more surface damage. Same with braking but in reverse. This would explain why corrugations often seem worse in braking and acceleration zones.

As regards the mathematics- I'd rather see some experimental evidence with cars travelling at different speeds, with different loads, different tyre pressures, different spring and shocker setups.

Bob
AnswerID: 508352

Follow Up By: Echucan Bob - Saturday, Apr 06, 2013 at 20:06

Saturday, Apr 06, 2013 at 20:06
I just searched on "corrugations" and discovered that Cocka posted the same article on June 5, 2003. I replied at the time:
"My gut feeling was that it was a combination of the two effects. The bounce effect breaks up the surface in the hollow between the ridges and the rolling wheel then pushes that material forward to build up the ridge. Things like acceleration and braking increase the breakup of the hollows which would explain why corrugations sometimes seem worse near bends."

Its interesting (to me at least) that about twenty major treks later, I still think the same thing. And I thought the corrugations had sent me stupid.

Bob
FollowupID: 785855

Follow Up By: Member - Laurie K (WA) - Saturday, Apr 06, 2013 at 20:07

Saturday, Apr 06, 2013 at 20:07
Hey Bob

I somehow don't think this thread was posted as a serious subject.

The first couple of paragraphs got me chuckling and I think I could see Salt Grinders mind also having a day out.

If I misread your intent Salt, I apologise, but it certainly would have been put up as a giggle if I had seen it first.

Cheers guys

FollowupID: 785856

Reply By: martin c1 - Saturday, Apr 06, 2013 at 22:27

Saturday, Apr 06, 2013 at 22:27
Thanks all for a fine bit of fun. You all have a fine sense of humor. But to be serious I am sure that corrugations started to become worse with the advent of motors with DOUBLE OVERHEAD CAMSHAFTS.
AnswerID: 508364

Follow Up By: Gramps - Sunday, Apr 07, 2013 at 00:19

Sunday, Apr 07, 2013 at 00:19
Naaahhhh ... more like the fools who drive with the white lettering on the outside. Pretty obvious really :)
FollowupID: 785884

Reply By: Member - Dunworkin (WA) - Saturday, Apr 06, 2013 at 22:50

Saturday, Apr 06, 2013 at 22:50
OK, I'll agree with that......I think......maybe....not quite sure....

Cheers

D

Simba, our much missed baby.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 508367

Reply By: olcoolone - Sunday, Apr 07, 2013 at 13:26

Sunday, Apr 07, 2013 at 13:26
Salt Grinder..... Scientists have known for years the truth how the universe started and evolution evolved but they has chosen to keep it quiet due to the anarchy, the collapse of modern society and millions of religious believers losing faith if it ever got out.

Scientists have also chosen the keep quiet on how and what causes road corrugations amongst the 4x4 world for the same reason....... the scientist could see if the truth got out on why and how they formed the 4x4 world would become a mess leading to widespread anarchy and many tears of disbelief that tyre pressures were not the cause.
AnswerID: 508414

Reply By: blown4by - Sunday, Apr 07, 2013 at 16:01

Sunday, Apr 07, 2013 at 16:01
For those that wish to keep abreast of this issue this articles puts sinusoidal and harmonic motion in simple pictorial terms: Harmonic vs Sinsoidal Motion
AnswerID: 508418

Sponsored Links