WA Wild Flowers This Year

Submitted: Saturday, Apr 06, 2013 at 23:14
ThreadID: 101545 Views:1949 Replies:7 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I am seeking some information to help with planning a trip to WA during the wild flower season. Is this season shaping up to be an 'average' season for the displays or possibly better? Are the timings for this year consistent with other years or are the displays likely to be earlier or later. As this will be our first trip to WA any other advice or information about the wild flowers would be most welcome.

Regards

nrb1748
nrb1748

My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Apr 07, 2013 at 08:34

Sunday, Apr 07, 2013 at 08:34
Hi nrb

The winter rains have not even started, so at this stage, so the only real way that we would be able to know for sure would be a crystal ball.....lol

Local information is the best advise, which would be available some time in spring when conditions would be better to predict.

Either way, still plan your trip, as the West is a great state to visit.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 508385

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Sunday, Apr 07, 2013 at 10:01

Sunday, Apr 07, 2013 at 10:01
As Stephen says, its a lottery - one thing is for sure that if it is a good year, you'll be blown away by them - we cracked it in '09 - toured the SW corner of WA after a very wet winter - I have a few pics on a blog here - we didn't see the flowers in the dryer northern areas that year, but were told they were spectacular - the flowers start early in the north and move south as summer approaches (so to speak). Up in the Pilbara one year, we encountered sturt desert peas on fronds 1m tall - thought we'd seen it all then.
AnswerID: 508394

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Sunday, Apr 07, 2013 at 10:25

Sunday, Apr 07, 2013 at 10:25
The only thing you can do is to keep a good eye on the weather forecasts and seasonal outlooks. Currently the Bureau of Meteorology is giving about a 50/50 chance of either wetter or drier conditions in WA up until June (link here). So it could go either way. We were there in both 09 when conditions and flowers were wonderful, and again last year when it was dry and far fewer flowers. If you have a look through our blogs you may find a few things there that are of interest/useful.

Remember that there are really three types/areas of wildflowers (speaking in very general terms here) - the brilliant displays of Sturts desert peas, mulla mullas etc in the Pilbara, the swathes of everlastings (plus shrubs, wreath flowers etc) south from about Geraldton - Mullewa (but in a good year extending much further north and east) and the flowering heath such as that found in eg the Fitzgerald River and Cape le Grand NPs. So even if it is dry in one area you could get wonderful displays elsewhere.

Cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 508399

Reply By: Neil & Pauline - Sunday, Apr 07, 2013 at 11:04

Sunday, Apr 07, 2013 at 11:04
My simple plan is to start at Karijini early July and end up in the south west corner for Christmas. It will depend on weather conditions when and where to go inland and or on the coast. Just don't follow the coast otherwise you will miss out on so much.
Kojonup, Cranbrook area is always good end of September early October. This is where you will see the biggest variety of wild flowers. Some only grow in an area 20 or 30 metres around, and nowhere else in the world.
Keep dropping into tourist centres and ringing ahead to get the latest accurate news of where to go.

enjoy.

Neil
AnswerID: 508404

Follow Up By: Member - Dunworkin (WA) - Sunday, Apr 07, 2013 at 21:43

Sunday, Apr 07, 2013 at 21:43
Will second that advise, the Stirlings are a wonderful place during the spring months, the Cranbrook Bell is one of the flowers mentioned that doesn't grow anywhere else in the world, in fact the Stirlings have a different type/colour bell on each major hill, some are hard to find unless you know where you're looking, if that makes sense. As has been mentioned, plan your trip, you won't miss out everywhere.....

Cheers

D

Simba, our much missed baby.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 785978

Reply By: member - mazcan - Sunday, Apr 07, 2013 at 12:09

Sunday, Apr 07, 2013 at 12:09
hi nrb 1748
well that's a $64 question if ever I seen one
do you sell crystal balls ?????
I wish we could answer your question as the farmers over here would be extremely happy if some one knew whether its going to be a good season for wild flowers because that would mean a good farming year in general terms
you'll just have to wait like the farmers and the other tourists
cheers
AnswerID: 508407

Reply By: Member - nrb1748 (VIC) - Sunday, Apr 07, 2013 at 16:58

Sunday, Apr 07, 2013 at 16:58
Thanks everyone for your replies. Good information. I may pose the same question mid-year if I need an update.

Regards

nrb1748
nrb1748

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 508421

Reply By: get outmore - Monday, Apr 08, 2013 at 09:41

Monday, Apr 08, 2013 at 09:41
As said far too early to tell. Out from perenjori theres stations which are now dec owned and are great for the flowers as is the trip out to the old rothsay mining centre
And 11 were bumper years so fingers crossed
AnswerID: 508461

Follow Up By: get outmore - Monday, Apr 08, 2013 at 09:43

Monday, Apr 08, 2013 at 09:43
Sorry that should be 08. 09 was well below average
FollowupID: 786007

Follow Up By: Member - Phil 'n Jill (WA) - Monday, Apr 08, 2013 at 09:58

Monday, Apr 08, 2013 at 09:58
Have to agree with the Rothsay trek - unbelievable in Sept that year - filmed carpets of everlastings for miles on end.

The Perenjori region as been spectacular for wreath flowers on several visits - even Sept 08 when the the area around Mt Augustus down to the Murchison was virtually bare.

Regards - Phil
Phil 'n Jill (WA)

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 786009

Sponsored Links