tyres again

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 31, 2004 at 14:02
ThreadID: 10155 Views:1863 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
G'day all, we are supposed to increase the tyre pressures for sustained higher speed, black top travel, why??, the pressure increases anyway due to the heat build up, so what becomes a safe increase, also, you travel an hour or 3 at increased speed then arrive at your sand destination with the need to deflate heated tread to a reading of around 18 to 20 psi which has already been increased by the heat build up, how accurate would it be and, what is it likely to drop to when cold and does it then drop to a too low pressure, might sound like a couple of dumb questions but i have often wondered about it, your thoughts and comments appreciated, Adrian.i like terra firma, the more firma the less terra, regards, Adrian.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Camper - Saturday, Jan 31, 2004 at 14:31

Saturday, Jan 31, 2004 at 14:31
Adrian,
When you increase your tyre pressure for use on the highway, you don't get much heat build-up - that's the whole point: less heat build up becuase an infalted tyre flexes less in the walls so less wear. Thus, when you drop your pressure for sand the loss of extra pressure above guage reading when your tyre cools is not much of an issue especially when you consider the traction benefits.
Similarly when you drop pressure for rough roads any heat build-up will be less cause you are (hopefully) driving slower compared to the benefits in ride and cushioning the tyre from shock over rock etc.
With our medium size 4wd I use 40psi for highway, 25psi for gravel and rockhopping and 18psi for sand, but ask at a good 4wd tyre supplier for their reccommendations considering your tyres etc.
Hope this helps,
Camper
AnswerID: 44961

Follow Up By: jackablue - Monday, Feb 02, 2004 at 11:12

Monday, Feb 02, 2004 at 11:12
Hi Camper
I was told by an NRMA guy that if you check your tyres again after driving, (now hot), they should only increase by 4psi, if higher or lower then the pressure is wrong. I am assuming that is based on black top driving.

Cheers

Jackablue
FollowupID: 307261

Reply By: Member -ace ( SA ) - Saturday, Jan 31, 2004 at 15:14

Saturday, Jan 31, 2004 at 15:14
Thanks camper, understand now, Adrian.i like terra firma, the more firma the less terra, regards, Adrian.
AnswerID: 44967

Reply By: Member -Bob & Lex (Sydney) - Saturday, Jan 31, 2004 at 15:19

Saturday, Jan 31, 2004 at 15:19
We have the same car as you Ace & use the pressures that Camper uses. I dont increase pressure for hyway always 40 on tarRegards Bob
Where to next
AnswerID: 44969

Reply By: Member -ace ( SA ) - Saturday, Jan 31, 2004 at 15:26

Saturday, Jan 31, 2004 at 15:26
I stick to the same Bob, as you mentioned earlier at a previous post,yours is a nice rig and a great colour, sounds pathetic doesn't it, who cares.i like terra firma, the more firma the less terra, regards, Adrian.
AnswerID: 44971

Reply By: Member - Bradley- Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 10:13

Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 10:13
have a squiz at the SIME tyres website ( sorry i'm link illiterate) they have a really good burst explaning the 4psi theory and high speed high load running guidelines.Moo... everyone knows what a Jackaroo looks like :-)
AnswerID: 45259

Sponsored Links