New Winch

Submitted: Monday, Apr 08, 2013 at 18:17
ThreadID: 101578 Views:2704 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Guys
Looking to buy a winch for the Colorado. Have seen a lot of winches with different gear ratio's (160:1 to 190:1) or (240:1 to 280:1). Which is better?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: olcoolone - Tuesday, Apr 09, 2013 at 08:18

Tuesday, Apr 09, 2013 at 08:18
A cheaper winch may have a higher ratio to help overcome low motor output.

The lower the ratio the faster it will pull but with less weight and the higher the ratio the slower it will pull bey with more weight.

One 9000Lbs winch might have a 6hp motor have 190:1 drive ratio and another winch with a 5hp motor might have a drive ratio of 280:1

Think of it as a 4x4 towing a 3 ton trailer........ one might be a twin turbo 200 series landcruiser that will tow at 2000rpm and at 80 Kph up a hill...... the other one is a 2.7Lt 4 cylinder Hilux that can still pull the 3 ton trailer but at 4000 and 50 kph....... like anything you can not beat grunt.
AnswerID: 508525

Follow Up By: 399pawson - Tuesday, Apr 09, 2013 at 17:57

Tuesday, Apr 09, 2013 at 17:57
Thanks for the info. I will do a bit more investigating
FollowupID: 786135

Reply By: DeepThought65 - Tuesday, Apr 09, 2013 at 08:52

Tuesday, Apr 09, 2013 at 08:52
This really depends on what type of use you are expecting to have. The Colorado isn't all that heavy so around 8000lb low mount would be sufficient. It also will be a bit less expensive. The lower gearing places less strain on the unit so if your not in a rush to recover then go with the lower geared units. Now lower gearing doesn't mean that its not going to drain the battery faster, your probably going to have just as much current flow as the other winches with higher gearing.

Warn is going to be on the top end of your brand options and Tigerz at the bottom. I'm not a fan of the Tigerz units, I'm not convinced the component quality is what it should be on the Tigerz winches. Although I've a nephew that has used one and thinks its great.

I've got a 12,000lb Ox from TJM on my Landcruiser Ute, I've only got one that big because I got it fairly cheap at around $1,100.00. I'm pretty sure these are rebadged Mile Marker winches from the USA, which are good quality units and have been round a long time.

Another thing is solid state solenoids will run more efficiently than the older electrical / mechanical solenoids. Also consider the wire or rope that your going to use. Steel wire is very...very robust. Its not effected by sunlight or heat. Some of the newer winches may offer a Dynamica synthetic fibre rope and these are incredibly strong for their weight. I have heard that they can deteriorate in sunlight over a period of time but best confirm this with the manufacturer. If the rope breaks it will have less energy so potential for injury is lower too. This kind of rope is expensive though in comparison to the steel wire. Some would feel that the reduction of weight is benefit enough to go with this type of rope. It does require a Hawse fairlead as opposed to a roller type though so if your going to go the synthetic rope route you need to get the right fairlead for the bull bar. Most winch makers will supply the fairlead with the winch.

Perhaps I've just caused you more confusion but all points to consider. I don't know your usage or your budget so I can only point out what to look for. Hope that is a help not a hindrance.

Regards.
AnswerID: 508526

Follow Up By: Collie2012 - Tuesday, Apr 09, 2013 at 14:44

Tuesday, Apr 09, 2013 at 14:44
Hi, I just went throught his excercise for a winch and bull bar on my RG colorado. I ended up going for an ARB bull bar and warn XD9000 winch. Now I know there are cheaper options but I intend on keeping this car for 10yrs+ and can always pull the winch off if I sell it. Warn is just such a reputable brand it was difficult to consider other winches.

I also went for steel cable instead of dyneema one reason is that rope gets chopped up on rocks and loses a bit of strength when the fibres come apart. Also heat from the brake will weaken the rope as well.

ARB also threw in their premium recovery kit.
FollowupID: 786118

Follow Up By: 399pawson - Tuesday, Apr 09, 2013 at 18:02

Tuesday, Apr 09, 2013 at 18:02
Thanks Guys

Cost won't be a factor in this purchase, the right winch is the only solution
FollowupID: 786136

Reply By: mountainman - Tuesday, Apr 09, 2013 at 22:25

Tuesday, Apr 09, 2013 at 22:25
i wouldnt be going off the gearing.
id be going off what current the winch sucks and how hot the gearbox gets.

on those two the premier winch won the contest hands down.
the warn used the most current.

and overall the premier won the test overall.
4wd action review.. maybe a year or two ago.

brilliant winch too.
given it a flogging. brake got stuck once, but that was me overloading it..

gearing is related to the size of the motor as well..

if you have a winch using minimal power, and runs cool, and also has a pretty fast speed then thats what you realy need, not gearing.
it means the winch will last longer.

AnswerID: 508609

Reply By: mountainman - Tuesday, Apr 09, 2013 at 22:31

Tuesday, Apr 09, 2013 at 22:31
feb 2011 was the article in 4wd action.

cant find it, i think they force you to buy the mag, i have it here, somewhere......

warn didnt fair too well.
premier came out on top!
only 1500 for the 9000pd too!
AnswerID: 508611

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Wednesday, Apr 10, 2013 at 07:45

Wednesday, Apr 10, 2013 at 07:45
Proudly sponsored by Premier winches....... funny how Warn don't advertise in these mags, have been building winches for decades, extensively used in off road applications, are known for their quality BUT can't seem to build a winch the magazines like.

Had a cheap Warn Magnum 9000 pound winch according to a magazines winch shootout failed in it first pull....... we used it one night in the Pyrenees to winch 300m over 3 hours up a very muddy rocky track, we had our Hilux loaded with a camper on the back exceeding the winches capacity...... unlike the magazines ours performed brilliantly and survived.

FollowupID: 786167

Reply By: mountainman - Wednesday, Apr 10, 2013 at 14:09

Wednesday, Apr 10, 2013 at 14:09
warn do advertise. through the arb..

dont see premier..

yeah id take a kick back with premier. he he he..

but if actualy properly read the test...
premier did come out on TOP.

also as i mentioned, it used the LOWEST current AND had THE LOWEST gearbox temp on the test and one of the fastest winch speed on the test.

that alone says alot, dont need a brain to work that out.
runs cool, uses stuff all juice and pulls hard.. if only a wife could tick those boxes...... ha ha ha

that means the winch is performing at its most efficient, can use it for longer periods, and will last longer than something that chews amps like a warn, and has a higher gearbox temp.

AnswerID: 508662

Sponsored Links