How to remove LOTS of mould stains from canvas

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 09, 2013 at 10:17
ThreadID: 101590 Views:59890 Replies:7 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hey all,

Here's a picture of the inside of canvas tent which unfortunately got wet in storage for a few months without my knowledge:

When looking from the outside it is not noticeable.

This picture is after scrubbing with soap, using a mould removal formula (apply, let dry, wash off) from the camping store and even using the high pressure cleaner.

I'm tempted to throw some bleach at a small section and quickly wash it off just to see if that will do anything. Internet searching tell me that bleach can damage the canvas but may be the only way to remove the stains.

Does anybody have recommendations on removing these stubborn stains? Bleach? Another product available from Bunnings or a camping store?

Thank you very much!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Tuesday, Apr 09, 2013 at 10:31

Tuesday, Apr 09, 2013 at 10:31
Hi ?

In my experience mildew stains are virtually impossible to remove. Be very wary about using bleach - you may get rid of the stains but the canvas may follow suit before long. You might just have to re-arrange the furniture to hide the stains!

Cheers ,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 508544

Reply By: Lyn W3 - Tuesday, Apr 09, 2013 at 11:13

Tuesday, Apr 09, 2013 at 11:13
Try using white vinegar in a spray bottle. Best thing for removing mold in the house, maybe it will work on canvas.
AnswerID: 508548

Reply By: The Bantam - Tuesday, Apr 09, 2013 at 11:13

Tuesday, Apr 09, 2013 at 11:13
You realy do have a hard row to hoe there.

there are a number of things that have been canvased ( canvased :) ) on both camping and boating sites, and others that have been arround for some time.

One thing for sure stay away from the bleach, it may do a cosmetic job of getting the marks out but...yep as people say it rots the fabric...even worse it does not kill the spores.

Some of the boating guys are swearing by fabric softner for getting mould off their stuff.

Lay it on thick, scrub, leave it for a while, scrub again and wash off well.

Never tried it myself.....but some of the boaties are raving about the results.

Back in the 80s, lots of people where swearing about preen for getting mould out of canvas.......Hmmm....I have my reservations.

In other areas the treatment of mould and sterilising stuff has changed from bleach to citric acid.......the citric tends to shift the mould, but more important it swings the PH mould and the spores don't like it......how the acid will go on the canvas.....well good question.

Going the other way, Bi carb soda ( sodium bicarbonate) or washing soda (sodium carbonate) are both common "cleaners"....both will swing the PH the other way.
either may be work a go.
Be carefull if there are any aluminium eyelets or zips.....not good.

DO NOT confuse either of the above with caustic soda, ver dangerous stiff and will rot ya tent while you watch.

Some are using citric then one of the sodas, one to neutralise the other.

Google some of the things I mention.......use at your own risk and test on something that does not matter.

BUT..you may find the stains are stains and bugger all will get them out.....ya realy want to make sure you do whatever you can to kill the spores from the mould or it will be back with a vengance.

A few days out in the sun and then put away well dry will go a long way with the spores.

cheers
AnswerID: 508549

Follow Up By: The Bantam - Tuesday, Apr 09, 2013 at 11:44

Tuesday, Apr 09, 2013 at 11:44
OH whatever you do if it is more or less conventonal canvas...after all this you will need to apply some sort of waterproofing compound to replaces the stuff you have scoured out.

cheers
FollowupID: 786090

Reply By: Member - Rosco from way back - Tuesday, Apr 09, 2013 at 12:29

Tuesday, Apr 09, 2013 at 12:29
Oil of cloves is what you need. Dilute with water (not sure of the ratio .... Google).
It will kill the spores. Spray on and leave for a while then clean.

Here's a start ....

http://www.oilofcloves.com.au/Oil-Of-Cloves-Mould?zenid=171fa8719b45df9aacf481af100aa0f7
AnswerID: 508561

Follow Up By: pepper2 - Tuesday, Apr 09, 2013 at 13:36

Tuesday, Apr 09, 2013 at 13:36
one quarter of a tea spoon of oil of cloves to one litre of water....
FollowupID: 786112

Follow Up By: hamo - Tuesday, Apr 09, 2013 at 16:40

Tuesday, Apr 09, 2013 at 16:40
waited 3 weeks for my order to arrive from the above linked web site.
The chemist shop sells oil of cloves if your after a speedy solution.
1 teaspoon to 1 liter of water in a spray bottle.

Hamo
FollowupID: 786127

Follow Up By: Member - Rosco from way back - Tuesday, Apr 09, 2013 at 16:46

Tuesday, Apr 09, 2013 at 16:46
I wouldn't know about that particular crowd cobber (good, bad or indifferent). Merely the 1st mob google brought up.
FollowupID: 786129

Follow Up By: nootsa200873 - Wednesday, Apr 10, 2013 at 07:07

Wednesday, Apr 10, 2013 at 07:07
Oil of cloves x 2
FollowupID: 786165

Reply By: mountainman - Tuesday, Apr 09, 2013 at 16:48

Tuesday, Apr 09, 2013 at 16:48
i had my swag in the back on my ute for ages.
took it out for hunting trip, and was full of black mould..
i got angry at myself, as i spent 500 on this beauty, old girl wanted to throw it out..
shell be shot at dawn if she done that, even if she offered to buy me new one.

i got the mckenzie bicarb soda, and sugar soap, got the bath going with hot water and made a super strong solution..
soaked the swag in it for a few hours..??
this was the night before we left, we left the next day at like 530am to cobar..

soo with just the empty swag in the bath, i got a stiff brush and washed inside and outside..

it came up TRUMPS..
someones a happy camper..
only just had to get the gas heater in the lounge room cranking to dry that, and the sleeping bag out !!

it even softened up the canvas swag, ooh goody goody gum drops.

id use that mixture again tommorow.
easy on the hands, and cheap and easy stuff to buy, and always stocked in most peoples cupboards at home.
AnswerID: 508578

Reply By: mountainman - Tuesday, Apr 09, 2013 at 16:49

Tuesday, Apr 09, 2013 at 16:49
ooh the best thing was the stains gone too.
AnswerID: 508579

Reply By: Coenen N & G (WA) - Wednesday, Apr 10, 2013 at 20:36

Wednesday, Apr 10, 2013 at 20:36
Shannon Lush, who writes books on how to clean everything, recommends that you make a strong salt solution (cooking salt) in a bucket of water and paint it onto the canvas with a broom, saturating it thoroughly. Then go away and let the tent dry out in the sun. When it has dried and is covered with salt crystals you then sweep them off and the mould should come off with it. After it is all off you then add a quarter teaspoon of clove oil to 1 litre of water in a spray bottle and spray all the areas to kill the mould spores so they don't grow back.
All commercial mould killers and bleach will rot the canvas and probably leave holes.
Hope you have some luck.
regards Glenda
AnswerID: 508694

Sponsored Links