Hyland Hitch

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 10, 2013 at 13:13
ThreadID: 101611 Views:5063 Replies:8 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
Once again seeking opinions. Just love this site. Getting new van made. Have option for Hyland hitch. We do intend going off road. However manufacturer says not much good on normal roads. Should we or shouldn't we??
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Notso - Wednesday, Apr 10, 2013 at 13:28

Wednesday, Apr 10, 2013 at 13:28
There is some discussion on here.Caravanners forum
AnswerID: 508657

Reply By: Member - Frank P (NSW) - Wednesday, Apr 10, 2013 at 15:06

Wednesday, Apr 10, 2013 at 15:06
I had one on my OR camper and was very happy with it. The model I had needed a long neck ball - that's the only "special" consideration I can think of. You may need to ask about that, depending on your model.

I don't know what the manufacturer is getting at when he says it's not much good on normal roads. I never heard that before and in my own experience it is as good on road as off and on-road specifically, is is as good as any other I have used.

It's ok with a WDH for on-road, same as any other coupling. And again, same as any other coupling, if you need the articulation off road you have to remove the WDH bars.

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 508665

Reply By: Member - kym111 - Wednesday, Apr 10, 2013 at 16:05

Wednesday, Apr 10, 2013 at 16:05
My brother-in-law got one as part of his caravan set-up, and the T handle on the top of the ball coupling broke off after their first trip in the caravan - approx 1000kms of gravel, to Landor Races (WA). I have heard of this happening from more than 1 person.

When we requested one for our custom-built caravan, the manufacturer advised they don't use them as they are not as strong as could be, and they use the Hitchmaster D035. The only drama with it is the pin isn't a standard ball, so we have to either use a different vehicle (with a ball) to tow the box trailer or other, or swap the DO35 pin (or complete hitch). For us, easier to use another vehicle...

Apart from that, very happy with the DO35, and so glad, in hindsight, we didn't get the Hyland as originally planned.

HTH
Kym
AnswerID: 508669

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Wednesday, Apr 10, 2013 at 16:24

Wednesday, Apr 10, 2013 at 16:24
Yes, the DO35 is just about the best. Beats the Hyland.

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 786214

Follow Up By: Member - Arsenal Phill - Wednesday, Apr 10, 2013 at 19:16

Wednesday, Apr 10, 2013 at 19:16
Hi Kym

Thanks for the input. It is great to be steered in the right direction. I've just looked at the site for the Hitchmaster D035 and it looks great. I'd like to see one first hand before I jump in, so will have to do some more research. I'll get the van maker to put on a standard tow ball and then get the HM put on after I think. I use a Hayman WDH so will have to get the extra bits to make it work.
Cheers mate.
FollowupID: 786226

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Wednesday, Apr 10, 2013 at 22:24

Wednesday, Apr 10, 2013 at 22:24
Phill,

here's a photo of the DO35 mark 2.

If you're down my way you can look at my hitch. It's a DO35 mk1, but essentially the same.

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 786248

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Thursday, Apr 11, 2013 at 18:19

Thursday, Apr 11, 2013 at 18:19
Hmm! Looks complex, therefore a good excuse to make it expensive! Whets it worth retail?? Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

FollowupID: 786333

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Thursday, Apr 11, 2013 at 18:27

Thursday, Apr 11, 2013 at 18:27
Found it! Postage stamp change of $400.
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

FollowupID: 786335

Reply By: WBS - Wednesday, Apr 10, 2013 at 16:27

Wednesday, Apr 10, 2013 at 16:27
I had a Hyland hitch on my Off road caravan and had a dog of a time trying to uncouple the hitch from the towball. I only found out later that I needed to change the towball to a longer shanked one. Sold the caravan instead. I wouldn't be getting one again. I'd be looking at the McHitch or similar for off road use.
WBS
AnswerID: 508671

Follow Up By: Kiwi100 - Wednesday, Apr 10, 2013 at 16:50

Wednesday, Apr 10, 2013 at 16:50
McHitch moves the articulation point rearwards - the opposite of what you should be aiming for in the interests of safety/stability.

Unless you have a camper trailer or a van under 18', it will be near-impossible to get to the point where a standard ball hitch won't do the job without your rig becoming an expensive recovery job. McHitch probably makes more money from painting them yellow than from any practical advantages they might offer to us mug punters. ;)

Michael
FollowupID: 786217

Reply By: Patrol22 - Wednesday, Apr 10, 2013 at 16:45

Wednesday, Apr 10, 2013 at 16:45
I guess I'm on my own then in thinking that the Hyland hitch is a great piece of engineering. I've had one on my off road camper for 7 years and some 60000km in tow both on and off road and it has performed exceptionally well. It has been across Gunshot Creek when that crossing was something of a heart stopper and it has been on the highways and byways of this great country. Yes you do need a ball that has a 10mm or greater collar but in my case the campertrailer manufacturer gave me one of these as part of the deal.
AnswerID: 508673

Follow Up By: Member - Myles F (QLD) - Wednesday, Apr 10, 2013 at 22:46

Wednesday, Apr 10, 2013 at 22:46
Not on your own Patrol22. I have a standard box trailer, two boat trailers and a heavy duty off road camper which has been used for the difficult terrain it was designed for. All attach to the same ball making it very convenient. I would definitely go for the Hyland again. Perhaps I was fortunate but the Hyland fitted the standard ball on the Cruiser.
Myles.
FollowupID: 786251

Reply By: racinrob - Wednesday, Apr 10, 2013 at 17:54

Wednesday, Apr 10, 2013 at 17:54
I can only say that I am less than impressed with Hyland, the weld on my coupling cracked where the main shaft connects to the U piece, this caused me a bit of stress and when I contacted them they were very casual about it and their attitude was that was to be expected of a five year old coupling on an off road van.
I sent the coupling back to them and it was re welded, $60 plus postage.

rr
AnswerID: 508678

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Wednesday, Apr 10, 2013 at 22:26

Wednesday, Apr 10, 2013 at 22:26
What about a Treg or a Trigg? Very simple and tough and the polyurethane block dampens the bumps and humps! Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

AnswerID: 508701

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Apr 10, 2013 at 22:29

Wednesday, Apr 10, 2013 at 22:29
The pin varieties of hitch are harder to line up and very difficult to remove the pin to unhitch if there is sideways tension due to angle of parking or uneven terrain.

MoOtherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 786249

Follow Up By: Member - Arsenal Phill - Wednesday, Apr 10, 2013 at 22:51

Wednesday, Apr 10, 2013 at 22:51
Thanks Michael and MH.
Familiar with the Tregg as had one on our camper trailer. Got pretty good at lining it up though as the reverse camera on the Cruiser enabled me to pretty much get it spot on. Only problems I ever had was if the height was slightly wrong. Then I'd have to get out and readjust etc.
I like the look of the hitch Gone Bush has. Once I've had a look at one, (up close and personal!!! LOL) I think I'll go that way.

Thanks again guys and gals.... :)

FollowupID: 786252

Follow Up By: Member - kym111 (WA) - Thursday, Apr 11, 2013 at 09:32

Thursday, Apr 11, 2013 at 09:32
Phil,
our local caravan repairer keeps them in stock, so if you have someone in your area who stocks spare parts for caravans, they may have something you can go and have a gander at.

It's really easy to use - line it up same as a ball coupling, however the pin fits through a hole in the poly block. Because the block articulates, there is a bit of room for inaccuracy in lining it up (not a great deal, but some). Once it's on, it's press a button on the top of the block to lock it in place - a metal disc slides across to do so, then complete the remainder of the hooking up - chains, lights etc.

Hope this helps
Kym
FollowupID: 786289

Reply By: R.J.W. - Thursday, Apr 11, 2013 at 13:05

Thursday, Apr 11, 2013 at 13:05
Hi I have had a Hyland hitch for some time and have used Treggs previous to this. I am more than happy with the Hyland. If I was travelling around Australia full time I would use whatever you like but if you are like me and have a caravan, boat, car trailer etc and use all of these regularly I would go the Hyland as I am very lazy and I hate changing the tongue to suit the trailer. They trailer parts bloke tried to talk me out of buying it but I have never had a problem I made sure I had the right ball from the start. Cheers Rob
AnswerID: 508735

Follow Up By: Member - Arsenal Phill - Thursday, Apr 11, 2013 at 21:01

Thursday, Apr 11, 2013 at 21:01
Not a problem for me to change tow ball to a pin for the Hitchmaster RJW. I currently have to change my usual towball when I put on my WDH for the van anyway. So not such a problem but I appreciate the input.
The thing that bothers me about the Hyland that I've read, is that they seem susceptible to breaking and ultimately may not be strong enough for the job. I'd rather stretch the purse strings just that little bit further and have peace of mind.
Cheers mate.
FollowupID: 786367

Sponsored Links