duel solar inputs

hello

first time user long time reader. i have just finished the electric in my new camper trailer after hours of research on this site, i am very happy with the end product.

Though i have 1 problem. i wanted to put 2 solar panel inputs on either side of the CT so i wouldn't have to have a really long extension lead from my solar panel to the solar regulator. the extension lead is 10 metres 6 B&S with anderson plugs. i have positive and negative going into the regulator, with a anderson plug at the end then i have 2 positives and 2 negatives going into another anderson plug which joins to the anderson plug from the regulator(1 set of leads positive and negative from each side of the camper.) the problem is when i connect up the solar only 1 side of the camper works. all positives and negatives are going into the same plugs. i am not sure what is going or can you only have 1 input.

any help or advise would be great.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Warb - Thursday, Apr 11, 2013 at 20:07

Thursday, Apr 11, 2013 at 20:07
I'm not sure I completely follow your explanation, but if you have (as I suspect) simply created two connections in parallel to your charge controller then it should work, both with a single panel connected to either input, and with a panel connected to both (all other things being correct!).

If it only works from one side I'd guess you have a bad joint or possibly have reversed the connection somewhere.
AnswerID: 508770

Follow Up By: Adam H - Thursday, Apr 11, 2013 at 22:05

Thursday, Apr 11, 2013 at 22:05
yes sorry it was a bit hard to explain but yes this is what i have done. i will get the volt metre out tomorrow and do some more checking. thanks for the response just making sure it can be done before i start to pull things apart to make sure.
FollowupID: 786379

Follow Up By: Member - Toyocrusa (NSW) - Friday, Apr 12, 2013 at 08:27

Friday, Apr 12, 2013 at 08:27
Adam, yes it can be done. I have it on my Caravan working at the moment on the banks of the Murray. As Warb says, something is slightly amiss with yours. Bob.
FollowupID: 786403

Follow Up By: Adam H - Friday, Apr 12, 2013 at 08:34

Friday, Apr 12, 2013 at 08:34
thanks heaps for the responses. i pulled apart the suspect connection re connected and all working now.
on a side note can you just buy just the anderson lugs and i now have destroyed 2 of them.
FollowupID: 786404

Follow Up By: Member - Nolo (Brisbane) - Friday, Apr 12, 2013 at 15:46

Friday, Apr 12, 2013 at 15:46
You can get them, as well as a lot of other good stuff, here.ARB Sidewinder

Regards

FollowupID: 786459

Follow Up By: 116hynes - Friday, Apr 12, 2013 at 22:53

Friday, Apr 12, 2013 at 22:53
Just buy the genuine article, sick of problems with look a likes

http://andersonpower.com.au/fake-anderson-plugs-photos-ezp-19.html
FollowupID: 786499

Follow Up By: Warb - Saturday, Apr 13, 2013 at 07:49

Saturday, Apr 13, 2013 at 07:49
Unfortunately I've seen genuine Anderson plugs that have cracked and broken as well.

It's interesting that (unless massive shipping costs, additional GST or minimum order numbers apply) the genuine ones are cheaper than the fakes at $3.17 vs. $4.95.

Also interesting that I spent some time on Google searching for Anderson products and that "Anderson Power Products" site never came up. I guess they didn't pay Google and so their site is relegated to the bottom of the list!

Having said that, I'd buy genuine at that price the next time I need some!
FollowupID: 786505

Sponsored Links