best smart phone reception

Submitted: Friday, Apr 12, 2013 at 09:13
ThreadID: 101648 Views:8887 Replies:13 FollowUps:13
This Thread has been Archived
Gooday there : Looking for a new SMART phone that has wifi hot spot app ,with the best reception coverage !!!

what are the Iphone 4 like ? .. is there anything better ?

Must be the smart type of phones ...

Cheers
Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Members - Bow & Nan - Friday, Apr 12, 2013 at 09:56

Friday, Apr 12, 2013 at 09:56
Iphones have poor reception.

Have a look at samsung Galaxy ace plus (blue tick)
AnswerID: 508820

Follow Up By: GUJim - Friday, Apr 12, 2013 at 11:13

Friday, Apr 12, 2013 at 11:13
Don't get too excited about the blue tick rating on the Samsung Galaxy Ace plus. I bought one, influenced by the blue tick rating and it is noticeably inferior in phone performance compared to my previous Motorola Defy + and Samsung C5520's.
FollowupID: 786427

Follow Up By: Kumunara (NT) - Friday, Apr 12, 2013 at 14:10

Friday, Apr 12, 2013 at 14:10
I got an iphone 4. I would have preferred the Samsung but the Telstra salesman informed me that the Samsung did not have the blue tick but the the iphone did. I reside 10 kms from town so I have very poor reception at home.

I wish I had gone with the samsung. The iphone is okay but I hate the itunes software. I also previously had a samsung phone and it was the best and most reliable phone I have owned.
Life's great and it just keeps getting better

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 786450

Reply By: olcoolone - Friday, Apr 12, 2013 at 10:00

Friday, Apr 12, 2013 at 10:00
Iphone 4 are about 18mths old and I doubt if you would find one.....Iphone 5 is the current version and it does have a WiFi hotspot.

Out of all the phones we have had over the years the Iphone are by far the most reliable.

We and all our service guys in our business uses Iphones, we cover all of SA and country Victoria and NSW and there are a few spots where they don't work....... before the Iphones we used blue tick Nokia's in car kit....... we haven't noticed much difference in the range since using Iphones on Telstra's nextG network.

We use satellite phones for all other areas.
AnswerID: 508821

Follow Up By: Members - Bow & Nan - Friday, Apr 12, 2013 at 10:17

Friday, Apr 12, 2013 at 10:17
Samsung manufacture many of the parts inside Iphones.
FollowupID: 786420

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Friday, Apr 12, 2013 at 17:35

Friday, Apr 12, 2013 at 17:35
The brains of the Samsung smartphone is the Android operating system that was originally developed by Android and later sold to Google...... Apple users there own operating system.

Im sure not every part in the Samsungs are made by Samsung.

Samsung is a manufacturer of microprocessors used in many other brands, they might make the microprocessors but the architecture may be owned by a third party and used under license.

Apple also uses parts from Broadcom, Texas Instruments and STmicro.... Foxconn make the phones for Apple and source their parts from various leading manufacturers.

Foxconn also make many other leading brand consumer electronics for many of the big names..... and like the iPhone they would source parts from everywhere.

Ford make parts for Holden and Toyota as does Holden for Ford and Toyota....... and Toyota makes parts for Holden and Ford.

This has been going on for years and years in manufacturing.
FollowupID: 786471

Reply By: Member - evaredy - Friday, Apr 12, 2013 at 10:49

Friday, Apr 12, 2013 at 10:49
Samsung Galaxy Note 2, A very nice phone.
AnswerID: 508829

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Friday, Apr 12, 2013 at 19:34

Friday, Apr 12, 2013 at 19:34
Very best phone on the market.......except its average at best reception. HTC One XL has bluetick ( but only 16G of memory that's non expandable.)
FollowupID: 786488

Follow Up By: Jon W (Toow - Saturday, Apr 13, 2013 at 15:21

Saturday, Apr 13, 2013 at 15:21
Nick,
We have just returned from Poeppel, Birdsville Track, Broken Hill and Darling River Run with our HTC One. Whenever 3G was available, it picked it up beautifully. We got reception very unexpectedly in some very remote locations but even with one bar it worked faultlessly. Even travelling through remote locations with only a very localised reception, it was very quick to send backed up texts and receive new ones. We were very pleased with its performance.
Jon W
FollowupID: 786540

Reply By: Notso - Friday, Apr 12, 2013 at 11:23

Friday, Apr 12, 2013 at 11:23
Another vote for the Motorola Defy, absolute best reception I've seen on a smart phone. The screen is a bit smaller than most now.
AnswerID: 508835

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Friday, Apr 12, 2013 at 19:36

Friday, Apr 12, 2013 at 19:36
Agreed ( I assume you mean the Defy +). I have one for country travelling. Also the HTC One XL will give it a run for it's money on next G though it has a fixed 16G memory!!
FollowupID: 786489

Reply By: Pathycop - Friday, Apr 12, 2013 at 12:21

Friday, Apr 12, 2013 at 12:21
Hi. Sitting next to lake Pamamaroo at Menindee on my iPhone 4 and have 4/5 bar reception. Wife has iPhone 4S and has 5/5 reception. Guy in the next camp has Samsung galaxy and has 2/5 bars. Not scientific but a practical demonstration of reception in this area. Maybe Samsung sell all the good bits to iPhone instead of keeping them for themselves. Lol;)
Graeme. Never going home!
AnswerID: 508841

Follow Up By: Notso - Friday, Apr 12, 2013 at 19:57

Friday, Apr 12, 2013 at 19:57
The bloke with the GS11probably forgot to stand on his left leg with his tongue hanging ou the left side of his mouth. I found this helps.
FollowupID: 786490

Reply By: bks - Friday, Apr 12, 2013 at 12:22

Friday, Apr 12, 2013 at 12:22
I have just spent hours googling this exact subject. It seems that Motorola has the best reception, then Samsung as well as Nokia. HTC and Iphones were the worst.

None are as good as the old phone's or have ports for external aerials.

I was looking at the Galaxy plus because of the blue tick, Thanks to GUjim for his feedback.
AnswerID: 508842

Follow Up By: Pathycop - Friday, Apr 12, 2013 at 13:08

Friday, Apr 12, 2013 at 13:08
Hi be interested in seeing that site and the research conducted. Have to upgrade the IPhone 4 in June. Can you post the link please. TA
Graeme
FollowupID: 786437

Reply By: TerraFirma - Friday, Apr 12, 2013 at 13:18

Friday, Apr 12, 2013 at 13:18
Iphone and the Smooth Talker Cradle wins hands down. I have used this 130km offshore with my external antenna. It works as well as a Telstra phone with an antenna.

https://www.smoothtalker.com/products/cell-phone-charging-holders-and-cradles/apple-iphone-5/

I have tried all sorts of phones and the above is my choice now, the Iphone still wins over Android at this point imo.
AnswerID: 508849

Reply By: Member - Mark (Tamworth NSW) - Friday, Apr 12, 2013 at 14:03

Friday, Apr 12, 2013 at 14:03
Nick

Go to the Kondinin Group web site and look there.
This is a farmer self help group who commission research for benefit of farmers. They have been doing annual (?) trials at the same location (near Hay NSW?) of various phones for several years.
It's the only published quantitaive research I know of regarding best reception, much better than the Brand A v B cpomments we are individually limited to.
AnswerID: 508851

Reply By: ABR - SIDEWINDER - Friday, Apr 12, 2013 at 15:03

Friday, Apr 12, 2013 at 15:03
I recently swapped over from iPhone 4S to HTC one XL blue tick phone as the iPhone was very poor on my last trip outback. Travel companion had the HTC and had signal at least 10km before me.

So far hot spot and mapping works very well for me.

Regards

Derek from ABR

AnswerID: 508859

Follow Up By: DesF - Friday, Apr 12, 2013 at 19:31

Friday, Apr 12, 2013 at 19:31
Another vote for HTC, always had Nokia 's before I got the smart phone, mate has samsung (latest) and my HTC beats it in country reception all the time . Des.
FollowupID: 786487

Follow Up By: Simon Curly - Saturday, Apr 13, 2013 at 22:02

Saturday, Apr 13, 2013 at 22:02
Ditto +1 for HTC One XL
FollowupID: 786577

Reply By: aussiedingo (River Rina) - Friday, Apr 12, 2013 at 19:43

Friday, Apr 12, 2013 at 19:43
G'day nick,
the utmost is Samsung galaxy 4G!! upload "portable wi-fi hotspot", then go to settings - more - tethering and portable hotspots - then tick "portable wi-fi hotspot" your phone is then a wireless modem, using your phone's data - no need for home phone modem, external modem or any other modem! Best coverage Aus. wide, if you are next to your mate with better reception means momentariel you may be closer to his carriers tower now - not long term- Telstra has always the best coverage (don't you hate it!) they have the best coverage! (this app. may even work on other 'phone types. hoo roo, dingo
"the only thing constant in my life is change"

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 508884

Reply By: KenInPerth - Saturday, Apr 13, 2013 at 13:05

Saturday, Apr 13, 2013 at 13:05
Hi Nickb

This reply might be a little late but maybe of interest to you and others depending on where you want reception. I can post links and info if anyone is interested.

The Samsung Galaxy (and other phones, but not all) have an "unpublished" external antenna connection behind the back plate and a guy in QLD has an external antenna adaptor for this and other phones (note here - DO NOT try and use the wrong connector or one that "looks similar" - there are many varieties and damage of the phone can result such that the internal antenna will no longer work). I have a Galaxy and bought a replacement backplate on eBay so I could put a hole in it and make the connector available.

Then there are a couple of other options myself and a colleague have also used to improve reception for phones or internet devices when travelling around WA on business but same applies to recreational travel (but as stated Telstra is best coverage with the most towers available).

1. For "on the road" access my colleague bought a 1.8m Omni WiFi antenna and mounted it on his car using that to connect to his phone or Internet equipment while out and about and generally always had reception of some sort unless very remote.

2. For when stationary, I carry a multi band mobile Yagi antenna and some kind of extendable pole I can bolt the antenna to and tie it up to the side of the van or car or whatever - again to run the phone or Internet devices. Like a satellite dish, but less fussy, you need to rotate it around a bit until you find a best signal but can improve your reception hugely when out - and if you use your phone as a hot spot you have everything in one device - phone and internet. Space wise, there is not much to deal with as compared to satellite TV.

Ken
AnswerID: 508923

Follow Up By: Member - nick b - Saturday, Apr 13, 2013 at 13:22

Saturday, Apr 13, 2013 at 13:22
Hi Ken : I would be interested in any more info you have regarding reception ,
And
>>> For "on the road" access my colleague bought a 1.8m Omni WiFi antenna ? & "unpublished" external antenna connection ?

Thanks Ken for your help !!!

cheers
Cheers Nick b

FollowupID: 786533

Follow Up By: KenInPerth - Saturday, Apr 13, 2013 at 15:26

Saturday, Apr 13, 2013 at 15:26
Nick B

Most patch leads and antennas use a standard FME connector so the antenna will generally connect directly up with the patch lead from the phone (patch leads normally FME Female threaded with Male Pin)

1. Phone external antenna adaptors.
This site is pretty comprehensive covering many phones if you have a wander around - I purchased from him rather than risk anything that looked similar on eBay (for the Samsung specifically) as he had sourced the proper connector for the Samsung. Many look similar but are not the same.

http://telcoantennas.com.au/site/catalog/patch-leads/mobile-phone/samsung

2. Yagi Antennas for Mobile phone services
I use this guy
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/92cm-HIGH-GAIN-Yagi-14dBi-Multi-Band-3G-4G-Antenna-Signal-Booster-Mobile-Phone-/251257555285?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item3a801e0955

3. Omni antennas for Mobile phone services
We used to get them from Mobile Extras in Osborne Park but a quick look at their web site does not seem to list the larger antenna anymore
http://www.mobileextras.com.au/ProductList/tabid/64/CategoryID/22/Default.aspx

so have a look around link below (same guy as for the patch leads) - or you could hunt around other suppliers for this as they are a fairly common item - just make sure they cover the particular service you want to use - the link below is quite explanatory
Note - higher gain generally means longer antenna and higher price
You will need Antenna, mounting gear (bullbar ??), and cable with FME Male threaded Female Pin connector to directly connect to the phone adaptor.

http://www.telcoantennas.com.au/site/rfi-cdq2199-quick-removable-9dbi-bullbar-antenna
FollowupID: 786542

Reply By: wizzer73 - Saturday, Apr 13, 2013 at 13:08

Saturday, Apr 13, 2013 at 13:08
Telstra 4g Frontier smart phone is a blue tick and has an external aerial port. Has wifi hotspot.

frontier 4g

wizzer
AnswerID: 508924

Reply By: Member - nick b - Saturday, Apr 13, 2013 at 13:53

Saturday, Apr 13, 2013 at 13:53
Thank you all for replying , a lot of good info to look into ....cheers
Cheers Nick b

AnswerID: 508930

Sponsored Links