GPS / DVD Combo ?????

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 31, 2004 at 22:10
ThreadID: 10167 Views:3555 Replies:3 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,

Firstly I would like to thank "Groove" for his very helpful comments and setup suggestions in previous articles in this forum.

Also, if anybody has other suggestions on improving my idea for a setup, please let me know, as I can tell from previous posts that there are some smart cookies who contribute to this forum.

I wish to configure a GPS / DVD Player combo which meets the following criteria:

1. Can be a mobile system which can be used in my Nissan Navara ST-R 3.0 TD Dual Cab for weekday driving and navigation, and on weekends when I go 4wd-ing with mates, or carting my 3 kids around and they can watch dvd's.

2. Can be easily relocated into my wifes Jackaroo for when we have family outings, ie holiday's, camping, or when we need a dvd player to keep the kids amused.

3. Does not take over the centre console and not impede the front passenger seat or interfere with gear changing.

4. Allow for good quality viewing for the driver for mapping software and to the passengers in the back seat (usually kids) for dvd’s.

5. Avoid spending over $2,400 (the less the better)

The combination I think will work is as follows:

1. Purchase a 2nd hand laptop for approx $800
2. Purchase a “Mobile Desk – Navigator” for approx $400
3. Purchase extra base for Mobile Desk for fitting in 2nd car for approx $100
4. Purchase 8” TFT Touch screen from Hong Kong for approx $400
5. Purchase GPS Mouse for approx $100
6. Purchase OziExplorer CD, Navigation CD & Desert Track CD for $300
7. Download “touchscreen keyboard” software from the internet - free

Approx Cost for the above should be about $2100 - $2200

The setup would be as follows:

1. Mount the Mobile Desk unit behind the centre console immediately behind the front seats.
2. Install the laptop onto the mobile desk (This can be swivelled around for the driver to access when alone in the vehicle)
3. Mount the 8” TFT Touch screen in the centre of the dashboard
4. Mount the GPS Mouse on the dashboard
5. Load all software onto the laptop
6. Have all wired on a dedicated circuit (and fuse) with a switch near the driver.

To Use the System

1. When getting into vehicle, turn on laptop
2. When laptop has started, turn on 8” monitor on screen.
3. Run relevant software program ie Navigator for city driving and directions, OziExplorer for mapping and 4wd-ing, or dvd player for movies.

This is my thoughts, but all advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Many Thanks

Detailed
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Willem - Saturday, Jan 31, 2004 at 22:45

Saturday, Jan 31, 2004 at 22:45
Don't forget an inverter for each vehicle.

My set-up is less complicated but more expensive

Laptop 2700 new
Maps & software 230
GPS & accessories 950
Pue sinewave 150W inverter 300
External speakers 5
Laptop platform & Centre console 0

Total 4180 which is over 1000 more what I paid for the truck!!!

I have to lay the laptop monitor down so as to change gears without inteference but that is OK as I do not need to see the monitor whilst driving.

Some time ago there was a post about having an external monitor screen mounted on the dashboard. Also see post 9926 where Member Eric posted pics of his laptop bracket which he made.

Cheers,
Willem

Googs Lake camp
AnswerID: 45007

Reply By: Member - Toonfish - Sunday, Feb 01, 2004 at 00:28

Sunday, Feb 01, 2004 at 00:28
interesting theory detailed hope it pans out sounds feasiable but i know there isnt much room in our navara's so will the laptop double as the kids dvd screen or will it output to screens installed in back of headrest?

sine wave invertors and circuit breakers or fuses of course
best of luck
let us know and post some pics or links when done
cheers1999 NISSAN NAVARA DUALCAB
DIESEL 3.2 & SPRINGY CARLTON TOY
2 awestruck kids (dads driving!)
AnswerID: 45015

Follow Up By: Member - Eric- Sunday, Feb 01, 2004 at 00:33

Sunday, Feb 01, 2004 at 00:33
you will find that my set up will work in any car and takes up little or no room , The only thing I can think of id the distance between the seats in a navara might be a little narrow . For this you may have to take off the lap top to swap to driver position ,
Did you see my set up Tooni ?

Ps ., see you in L/DVenus Bay
FollowupID: 307157

Follow Up By: Member - Toonfish - Sunday, Feb 01, 2004 at 02:14

Sunday, Feb 01, 2004 at 02:14
yep sure did see it awesome setup will use in future .
still working on my dv vid camera setup.
my thought were the same re seat distance. thats why i sked about screens.
cya in LD
sweeeeeeeeeeeet1999 NISSAN NAVARA DUALCAB
DIESEL 3.2 & SPRINGY CARLTON TOY
2 awestruck kids (dads driving!)
FollowupID: 307158

Follow Up By: detailed - Sunday, Feb 01, 2004 at 07:05

Sunday, Feb 01, 2004 at 07:05
In my original post forgot to acknowledge Eric for his photo's supplied showing his setup. So thankyou Eric for your photo's and info previously supplied.

Once of the biggest problems I have to overcome is the clearance between the two front seats.

In the Navara it is only about 150mm, so I cant have exactly the same setup as Eric.

In the Jackaroo, the width between the front seats is about 250mm, so in effect I have the same width concerns and can not fit the laptop between the seats.

Eric, you mentioned in your previous posting that you made up your base bracket. It also appears to be fixed to the rear face of the centre console. Am I seeing this correctly as I do not think my centre console would be stron enough to support the weight.

Thanks

Detailed

FollowupID: 307160

Follow Up By: detailed - Sunday, Feb 01, 2004 at 07:08

Sunday, Feb 01, 2004 at 07:08
Sorry, forgot to mention above.

I intent to use the laptop as the dvd screen for kids viewing of movies whilst they are in the back seat.

When I wish to use the "system", I redirect the visual output to the 8" screen on the dashboard.

Thanks

Detailed
FollowupID: 307161

Follow Up By: Member - Eric- Sunday, Feb 01, 2004 at 10:14

Sunday, Feb 01, 2004 at 10:14
The base is bolted to the console , but , I also have a plate on the inside . If you read the thread , it is quite detailed . If I may sugest something , make the braket for the front , so the lap top sits up front , In one of the photos , you wll see the lap top forward away from the gear shift and seats , and purchase a slave monitor for the rear , I am sure Jim (diamond ) purchased some from ebay cheap . Most people take there lap top in the car and hold it up to see what it will sit like , But the mistake they do is the have the screen at right angles . I you see one of my photos were the screen is out as far as possible , this is the best possition when you are driving , both drier and passanger can view the screen , and it dosnt interfere with your vision of the roadVenus Bay
FollowupID: 307169

Reply By: Member -Bob & Lex (Sydney) - Sunday, Feb 01, 2004 at 08:05

Sunday, Feb 01, 2004 at 08:05
You should'nt need an inverter as both can be run of sig lighterRegards Bob
Where to next
AnswerID: 45022

Sponsored Links