ECOTrackMe

Submitted: Saturday, Apr 13, 2013 at 13:59
ThreadID: 101676 Views:1818 Replies:2 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
G'day fells, I'm interested in getting some kind of GPS that will pin point my old Troopy IF she ever gets stolen.
I've looked at a device that you hard wire into the system, it looks really good, you can listen to a conversation within the vehicle, turn off the engine remotely, put up a perimeter around it; that kind of stuff.
But when I saw this I thought that this may be the best of both worlds, maybe we could leave it in the vehicle when parked in cities etc and also use it for the purpose it was designed for.
For the other device you need a SIM from a telco provider which adds up to around $150 per year (I suppose it's a cheap insurance premium)
So, does anyone know what is required of the ECOTrack; does it need a SIM? How does it work? What do you think?

Thanks;
Old Dog
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Saturday, Apr 13, 2013 at 19:37

Saturday, Apr 13, 2013 at 19:37
Old Dog,
Great question and yes we can communicate with these types of devices. We do not use the SMS interface (but can if needed) most of these devices also support TCP/UDP protocol and the tracking system will take position reports from the device that way.

We can and are going to extent the EOTrackMe service to allow the full functions of the devices you are looking at including immobilisation etc but as yet we have not decided on a specific device. We can however just about support anything as they are almost all exactly the same. What unit have you looked at - link would be great and I will check it out for you (heaps available in China and Taiwan etc).

David
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 508953

Follow Up By: Old dog - Sunday, Apr 14, 2013 at 15:36

Sunday, Apr 14, 2013 at 15:36
G'day David, thanks for your quick response, here's that link you asked for
http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=LA9011

Looking forward to hearing more from you.

Old Dog
FollowupID: 786625

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Monday, Apr 15, 2013 at 11:36

Monday, Apr 15, 2013 at 11:36
Old Dog,
Yes we can support EOTrackMe on this device no problem at all. It is an imported device and uses the standard chipset for these types of tracking devices. There are hundreds of variations of these available in China. We are looking at bringing some in for sale but you can certainly use this one and I can let me know how to setup the commands to get it running on EOTrackMe if you device to get it.

I have an office full of these devices but none in the specific vehicle genre as I have been specifically working on personal tracking. I am looking at a tracking device that is fully car installed and has SD card for recording data when out of service also. The price of the device we are looking at is a little less than the Jaycar one and has many more features but we would need to get them and test them so would be several weeks to a couple of months away from release.

David

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 786714

Follow Up By: Member - evaredy - Monday, Apr 15, 2013 at 12:59

Monday, Apr 15, 2013 at 12:59
That sounds like something I would be very interested in. I have been looking at the different ones around, but haven't really come across anything that appeals to me either psec wise or price wise.
FollowupID: 786715

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Monday, Apr 15, 2013 at 13:05

Monday, Apr 15, 2013 at 13:05
Great and because of this post I opened up the channel of comms again and have sent some requests for pricing and terms. The unit that seems to suit the best is the TK103-2 unit (look it up if you wish). Of course we would have to margin the import, shipping and then provide the warranty etc so it would be a little more than the China prices. There is also a TK105 or 6 cannot remember but it also support video so you can see who is driving but I think this is overkill for the requirement.

If we do bring these in we would be extending the tracking service to support an interface to allow you to enable/disable the vehicle and all the other functions. I reckon the units will retail around the $100-$120 and then you just install a SIM and go.

Will keep you updated, also if you have a look at the units let me know what you think?
David

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 786716

Follow Up By: Member - evaredy - Monday, Apr 15, 2013 at 16:31

Monday, Apr 15, 2013 at 16:31
Can you list what features will be included?
FollowupID: 786735

Follow Up By: Old dog - Monday, Apr 15, 2013 at 17:06

Monday, Apr 15, 2013 at 17:06
G'day David, I don't think I made myself clear enough at the start, I wasn't really asking if the ECOTrackMe would support this kind of device, rather, if I might be able to use the ECOTrackMe to do a similar thing as the Jaycar device. I really only want to know where my old girl (troopy that is) is in case she gets stolen, as far as shutting down the engine and the rest, well that might be OK but to know where she is for me is enough.
Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks again David.

Old Dog
FollowupID: 786741

Follow Up By: Old dog - Wednesday, Apr 17, 2013 at 19:39

Wednesday, Apr 17, 2013 at 19:39
G'day David, I really do know nothing about tech stuff so can you give me a run down in really simple terms as to how the EccoTrackme works. I re-read the little blurb and I think it means that this device works off the mobile phone of the user. If so, how much data does it use? Like I said mate, I'm not tech savvy.

Thanks mate,

Old Dog
FollowupID: 786991

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Friday, Apr 19, 2013 at 19:35

Friday, Apr 19, 2013 at 19:35
evaredy,

Bit hard at the moment but I will have the tracker in my hand in a few days and will understand what it can and cannot do via GPRS. I am not that interested in SMS it is expensive and limited so I am really looking at the bi-directional GPRS (data) connections.

The unit I have chosen is a little more expensive but has SD card offline mode recording and will run for 4 days if the power is cut. It can of course also do bidirectional voice - so you can hear and speak to someone in the car. Ignition kill etc. But let me get it and setup a test environment and make it work. I am looking forward to sticking it in the 80 and having a set and forget tracking system.

By using our Geofence security system I am happy to have it running at all times the key is on.

Please feel free to chase me up. I am so busy that I forget who I and what I am doing at some times.

Have a great weekend.
David

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 787185

Reply By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Friday, Apr 19, 2013 at 19:29

Friday, Apr 19, 2013 at 19:29
Old Dog,
No worries. In a nut shell EOTrackMe is an online tracking system. It collects positional data from various client devices (SPOT, smartphones and dedicated tracking products - like the Jaycar one).

We have written a few client programs for Android and Windows devices. We have other products that we can talk to like SPOT and uTrackMe for IPhone/iPad. These are just the user/client end and are what sends the data to our servers.

The EOTrackMe system can then publish maps of your positional updates, store these for future reference and allow you to edit them etc. So if you had a tracking device in your car say the Jaycar or other device you could lookup on your phone/computer/tablet where your vehicle is at any time (provided the tracking client is running).

What we have been talking about in this thread is the ability to extend the EOTrackMe server functions to include the ability to communicate with your car and tell it to turn off from your phone/tablet/computer etc in addition to the tracking service.

Most people use the tracking service to show their position on the map so that family and friends know where they are whilst traveling. We are extending the system now with the additions of security and other to allow a lot more things to be tracked, for instance I have turned on the Android client on my daughters Android phone so I know where she is all the time. I am looking at small devices to install/lodge in the frames of my expensive road bikes for security and a load of other uses.

The consolidated tracking server means I can view all my different devices in one place on one screen/map. Also on uTrackme on the iPhone I can see all my devices on a map at any time so can see what is where no matter where I am. I also use when Michelle or I are out riding we have tracker on so our partners can tell if we are still moving or maybe in trouble.

The uses go on and on, I hope this helps you understand.
David

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 509342

Follow Up By: Member - evaredy - Saturday, Apr 20, 2013 at 10:49

Saturday, Apr 20, 2013 at 10:49
It will be interesting to see what you come up with.

It would be nice have have small devices hidden in the car, caravan, camper trailer, boat etc. And then be able to view any of them using only one program.
FollowupID: 787214

Follow Up By: Old dog - Saturday, Apr 20, 2013 at 19:02

Saturday, Apr 20, 2013 at 19:02
G'day Dave, yea this helps me understand, thanks heaps, looking forward to giving it a bash for myself.

Thanks again.
Old Dog
FollowupID: 787260

Sponsored Links