Chip and Exhaust options - Nissan GU Patrol

Submitted: Saturday, Apr 13, 2013 at 19:54
ThreadID: 101681 Views:11842 Replies:7 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Hi guys,

It's come to that time where I am considering a chip and exhaust package for my 2009 Nissan GU Patrol.

Having a look at the market and trying to do some reviews on individual products, I have been closely looking at buying a DP Chip and 3" Exhaust from Scott's Rod's.

I'm not too fussed about buying the most expensive stainless steel exhaust, I just need a free flowing pipe to help the engine breathe a little easier.

The reason I was looking at the DP Chip, was that it has been developed in Australia, not in the cold climate of Europe. I have heard good reviews and the warranty seems to back up the product and engine and driveline.

I was wondering whether anyone else had this particular setup or something similar to this, specifically the feedback on the DP Chip.

Any feedback and opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: David16 - Saturday, Apr 13, 2013 at 20:02

Saturday, Apr 13, 2013 at 20:02
I put a DP Chip in my 2010 Navara last year, zero fuel benefit but it did kick the turbo in a lot earlier. Ran it for a month then took advantage of the money back guarantee as could not justify cost! Best decision I made.
AnswerID: 508956

Reply By: Ross M - Saturday, Apr 13, 2013 at 20:52

Saturday, Apr 13, 2013 at 20:52
UltimatePatrol
I might cop some more flack but check carefully to see if anyone has actually/successfully achieved and engine or driveline warranty from a chip manufacturer/supplier.
It might have happened but I have never heard of any. Heard lots of other interesting things though.
How do you, yes I mean you, prove anything in order to get the warranty.
The average person doesn't understand the systems well enough to argue anything with a manufacturer and you have to totally rely on their assessment of the failure and good will to get anything if you have trouble.
Many people use chips and don't have any immediate trouble.
"It was the fuel" "it was the injector pump" "it was a faulty piston" ie Nissans fault etc. The reverse is Nissan says it is the chip program etc etc etc. so who,what is to blame. Until that is solved, where does that leave you?

The exhaust will help but stainless can/does crack more easily than normal aluminized steel pipe which last a long time anyway. That is not to say it will crack though.

Some areas of Europe are quite hot too , like Australia is sometimes.
Cheers
mydmax
AnswerID: 508958

Follow Up By: UltimatePatrol - Sunday, Apr 14, 2013 at 01:30

Sunday, Apr 14, 2013 at 01:30
Yeah I understand where you are coming from, thanks for your feedback.

I did have that feeling that the would be a fight back and forward between the two companies and would probably end up with neither taking any responsibility.

I think I might just take the risk with a chip, which is yet to be decided and hope for the best, I guess...
FollowupID: 786584

Reply By: Dough Boy - Saturday, Apr 13, 2013 at 21:09

Saturday, Apr 13, 2013 at 21:09
Hi there
I have a 2.5 inch exhaust and Roo Systems chip fitted to my Navara and the difference is huge against standard, no huge fuel saving but the power & torque increase is really worthwhile.
Before buying the chip I did a fair bit of research into all that were available. What I did find out was that the Roo Systems and the DP are essentially the same item. What I then found separated them wasnt the performance, it was the info I got from each company. Roo systems were really helpful and could answer all my questions . Each time I tried to call DP Chip I would end up talking to someone in Asia , trying to convince me they were in Berrima NSW and not really helpful
Hope this is helpful
Cheers
DB
AnswerID: 508960

Follow Up By: UltimatePatrol - Sunday, Apr 14, 2013 at 01:38

Sunday, Apr 14, 2013 at 01:38
Ok, thanks for your feedback.

Just out of interest, how how long have you had the chip installed and I guess it's not causing you any problems?

I was a little sceptical of the fuel savings, but I assume if you drive like a grandma everywhere then the more efficient ratio's will save some juice.

That's quite interesting about the DP Chip customer service. The only reason I'm leaning towards DP at the moment is because of the better brand name as Roo Systems have only been in the market for the last couple of years, yet both the brands are indetical costs.
FollowupID: 786585

Follow Up By: Member - Lance S (VIC) - Sunday, Apr 14, 2013 at 08:15

Sunday, Apr 14, 2013 at 08:15
Hi, as dougboy mentioned l also did a heap of research into which chip and decided on the DPchip. As a diesel mechanic i was going to do it myself but the final cost for me to get if fitted including dyno was about $2500, they put it on dyno before they touched it, after they put the chip in and then finally after both were fitted.
It made bugger all difference in fuel economy but a heap in getting rid of the turbo spool at take off. I added a 2.75" beaudesert mandrel bend exhaust from QLD.
It was fitted back in early 2009 and not had a problem.

cheers,
Lance
Home Away from Home

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 786594

Reply By: bluefella - Sunday, Apr 14, 2013 at 06:33

Sunday, Apr 14, 2013 at 06:33
In my opinion UNICHIP are the best, although more expensive, they tick all the boxes in the programing and safety department. Check out their web site.
No affiliation etc.
AnswerID: 508970

Reply By: Wayne J - Sunday, Apr 14, 2013 at 07:01

Sunday, Apr 14, 2013 at 07:01
Hi mate
This is my personal experience with a Super car Perfomance modual and 3" exhaust. I tow a van full time and weigh just over 6 ton all up the fuel modual has transformed the car into a car I was going to sell into one I love to drive. The guys tuned it on a dyno and it went from 81 kw at the back wheels to 114 ke on the top setting , it has four. Don't get a chip that increases your fuel rail pressure like I did at first. My car is a 2007 crd manual Patrol and has done over 10,000k now with the module and an average of 16.8l per hundred
Best money I've spent it cost just under 4k but comes with pyro and boost control and will derate if you are running high egt's for to long.
The company is in Mackay in Qld but they do have agents I believe.
Cheers Wayne
AnswerID: 508972

Follow Up By: Rockape - Sunday, Apr 14, 2013 at 08:42

Sunday, Apr 14, 2013 at 08:42
Wayne,
Mike's product appears quite good. My son worked for him years ago and they remained mate's. A couple of years back Mike borrowed the sons BT50 and did R&D with it, resulting in a chip setup for the BT50. Son then got the chip for nothing.

That vehicle had no problems and it certainly had some sting. I know he does spend quite a bit of time setting the vehicles up on the dyno.

Monster performance Mackay.
FollowupID: 786596

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Sunday, Apr 14, 2013 at 11:42

Sunday, Apr 14, 2013 at 11:42
Hery Wayne, what do they consider high EGT's? On the Patrol I mean
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 786612

Follow Up By: Wayne J - Sunday, Apr 14, 2013 at 12:26

Sunday, Apr 14, 2013 at 12:26
Hi Bonz
The egt's set of a alarm at 650deg then derate if I continue powering. When towing up steep hills in the Snowy I run on setting 1 and egt's don't go over 550deg. Most of the time travelling egt's usually only get to 450 at the most. I run on setting 1 or 2 towing then on 3 with out the van.I just wanted a system that worked without fuss,and this one works for me. The patrol is so much better now, it has 95k on the clock now and just cruiser's.
rockape I agree Mike is very good to deal with.
Cheers Wayne

FollowupID: 786616

Reply By: Bonz (Vic) - Sunday, Apr 14, 2013 at 11:39

Sunday, Apr 14, 2013 at 11:39
Went down that path with my 01 Patrol and all I can say is get the exhaust first. It was far and above the best investment in improving the vehicle. I have a 3" Taipan XP and its outstanding, but Beaudesert and a bunch of others do them also, so shop around.

I have done lots of chip research along with a mechanic mate of mine and reckon the Diesel Smart chip is the pick of the bunch. I think you'll find that most of the rest lean out the fuel and don't have any boost control in them and cause problems (I love the new series 5 engine in my Patrol - yes mine went bang).

I have extracted this comment from the Patrol4x4 forum that's of great use I reckon.....

******************COMMENT STARTS******************************
Read the information available to you!!!!

Ignore what is on the web sites of the selling companies, what do you honestly think they are going to say? Search for independent information, preferably from people that don't have a vested interest in any of the products, and definitely not from people that have spent money on one of the brands.

DTE are a fantastic product. I used them for many years before unichip woke up and become another strong player in the aussie chip market.

They calculate RPM as a speed reference through injections periods per second (on injector chips). No other manufacturer apart from Steinbauer do this. The guys that own the two companies are good friends and went to the same tech school

There is top notch products like unichip available for a very good price.
Very good products like DTE and Steinbauer available (former very cheap, latter overly expensive for utterly the same thing)
Copy companies that sell DTE like Diesel Smart and many others that buy off the parent company cheaply, rebadge and make a profit.

Even chipit technology seems to be based on perfect power circuitry.

Perfect Power Owner worked for unichip 20 years ago, that got away with stealing many design components.

My general rule of thumb is.

Does it read RPM either through crank angle sensor or injectors?
What is the Load reference. Throttle, Boost or Fuel Pressure. #3 being the worst possible.
******************COMMENT FINISHES******************************

With the chip, look at the number of wires coming from the module, it should be ten or more cause you need a sensing and a switching wire. This is also an interesting comment:

******************COMMENT STARTS******************************
All these companies are at each others throats for sale margins and percentages.

I hear things like X Brand can control this through canbus, X brand does more than X brand because it is made in Australia etc....

99.99% of this is garbage.

Just ask.

How Many Wires come out of the chip.

If its like 3-5, its a dumb chip doing very little in the way of controlling things properly.

If its 10+ Its doing a proper job of it.

Crank Sensor, Boost Sensor, Throttle Position Sensor, Water Temp Sensor, Air Temp Sensor,
Fuel Pressure Sensor, Injector Signal, Power, Earth

For a chip to modify a signal it has to have an IN and and OUT wire.

So if it has

"Power
Earth
Fuel Pressure In
Fuel Pressure Out"

It has 4 wires and is one of the simplistic chips available.

In comparison to a unichip which will have 14+ on just an average setup.
******************COMMENT FINISHES******************************

You can read it all here, theres a bit of noise about false claims, and the new Diesel Smart module is not the one in this thread, its vastly different. All the best.

http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/engine-drivetrain-55/very-interesting-find-diesel-smart-module-91349/
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 508987

Follow Up By: Ross M - Sunday, Apr 14, 2013 at 16:57

Sunday, Apr 14, 2013 at 16:57
G'day Bonz (Vic)
I read your comment about "many chips just lean out the fuel". (diesel)

Being a diesel if you give it less fuel it will make less power and torque.
if you raise the fuel injected and also match it with sufficient air, up to a point, it will develop more power and torque.

Can you explain what leaning out a diesel really means. To me it seems economy is spoken about and "leaning out" often is mentioned.

I just can't see how leaning out as mentioned ,with reference to a petrol engines leaning out, can be done on a diesel.

Cheers

Ross M
FollowupID: 786635

Reply By: Nutta - Sunday, Apr 14, 2013 at 13:27

Sunday, Apr 14, 2013 at 13:27
I had the dtronic on my 03 patrol which wasn't too bad, I put a 3" exhaust on it down the track which I felt was a massive improvement around town but on the highway it felt like it lost its top end Torque badly.

Maybe there was no back pressure, I think it was a mistake myself, maybe the 2-3/4" is a better option?
AnswerID: 508994

Sponsored Links