Ford ranger auto transmission

Submitted: Saturday, Apr 13, 2013 at 20:21
ThreadID: 101682 Views:14601 Replies:2 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
You may remember the thread about the new Ford Ranger that chewed up 2 transmissions, well the problem turned out to be they hadn't programmed the correct computer match up between the engine and the transmission and they both were fighting against each other. Or that's what they told him. Now running correctly.

Tony
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Nutta - Sunday, Apr 14, 2013 at 13:05

Sunday, Apr 14, 2013 at 13:05
Sounds like bs really, an engine can only spin over, how does it fight a gearbox, sounds like box problems on the new ranger.
AnswerID: 508991

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew - Sunday, Apr 14, 2013 at 13:20

Sunday, Apr 14, 2013 at 13:20
Yes but it can spin over at full throttle or idle or fully loaded or part loaded so the torque the gearbox (including the clutch packs) see is relevant to the messages the engine and gearbox are sending to each other.
The wrong load message at the wrong time can cause major problems. Think about a manual box and the damage that can be done to the box and the clutch by an unsympathetic or unskilled driver.

regards

A
FollowupID: 786619

Follow Up By: Rockape - Sunday, Apr 14, 2013 at 13:27

Sunday, Apr 14, 2013 at 13:27
Nutta,
don't get to concerned about this. The only fail I have seen is a post on the new ranger forum by Tony M.

Last time he posted here it was about the auto blowing up. When asked exactly what blowing up meant there was nothing but silence.

If there was a problem you would see quite a few failures on the ranger forum.

As for the software, I would have thought they would have had standard software for all their auto rangers. Software could cause a problem if it allowed the box to change or be changed into a low gear at to higher road speed. None of that has shown up at all that I am aware of. If someone has it in manual mode and keeps pulling the lever to a lower gear this may happen but I don't think I will try that one out.

FollowupID: 786620

Follow Up By: Jarse - Sunday, Apr 14, 2013 at 19:34

Sunday, Apr 14, 2013 at 19:34
I'm perplexed as to how an engine and gearbox can fight each other, when the engine does the driving and the transmission translates that to motive force to the wheels.....

Sounds like another urban legend to me.
FollowupID: 786640

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Monday, Apr 15, 2013 at 07:57

Monday, Apr 15, 2013 at 07:57
Software operates the shift points and torque converter lock and slip points....... if the trans had excessive slip due to the wrong program parameters there would be big amounts of heat getting generated more than normal.

Trans can run up to 150+Deg C safely when under load, if there was too much slip the temp would of went way over a safe temp decreased the trans oil capabilities (burning oil and leaving carbon type deposits).

Jarse... years ago the engine ecu was all that was used for emission, noise and vibration control, these days the trans also play a big part in it and seeing they have got smarter the engineers get them to do more.

You would be surprised what has inputs and are controlled.

On the Ranger auto's when applying variable amounts of brake force the trans changers gears and locks up the converter to help slow the Ranger down..... it's quite a funny feeling but works very efficiently.

Another thing that they might do is lock the converter and change shift patterns if the engine gets too hot....... by locking or changing slip they can remove heat from the radiator both ways by transferring heat safely back into the trans and lowering the amount of heat the trans puts into the cooling system.

These days in automotive training we learn more about design strategies that help in diagnostics then we learn about removing and replacing a component.

FollowupID: 786692

Follow Up By: Jarse - Monday, Apr 15, 2013 at 10:24

Monday, Apr 15, 2013 at 10:24
Thanks for the info, olcoolone ^^^^^ :)
FollowupID: 786710

Reply By: Rockape - Sunday, Apr 14, 2013 at 19:23

Sunday, Apr 14, 2013 at 19:23
Tony M

Come on give us some detail or don't come back again
AnswerID: 509023

Follow Up By: Rockape - Monday, Apr 15, 2013 at 11:35

Monday, Apr 15, 2013 at 11:35
Tony M,
I am going to give myself a kick in the rear end. I don't believe what I said above was either very nice to you or productive.

What set me off was when you posted about 2 blown up transmissions and then were very silent on what you meant by that statement.

Just to lighten things up a little this is what I call blown up.

FollowupID: 786713

Follow Up By: TerraFirma - Monday, Apr 15, 2013 at 13:32

Monday, Apr 15, 2013 at 13:32
Jesus Rockape you've gone hard on poor Tony. He has only posted what he has been told by his repairers and I don't detect anything against the Ranger for example. What do you mean by more details, he has said it has been replaced and re-programmed? What details do you want?
FollowupID: 786717

Follow Up By: Rockape - Monday, Apr 15, 2013 at 14:18

Monday, Apr 15, 2013 at 14:18
TerraFirma,
what started it was this thread 98793. When this was posted Tony was asked to explain what blown up was. All the information given was that 2 transmissions in the same vehicle had blown up. No answer came back, so often you assume a bit of fishing was going on.

That is why I was asking for a bit more detail. I just can't see how this one vehicle has a different program from the thousands of other Rangers out there. The only thing I could see is that there could be an input, output or sensor failure but in that case I would have thought those items would also be monitored separately and the vehicle would go into limp mode. Maybe the program may have been corrupted somehow.

Please don't think that I believe Rangers won't have faults. I just like to see the real faults and no hearsay ones.

Now you maybe able to see why I posted that blown up clip.
FollowupID: 786724

Sponsored Links