Wireless Reversing Camera Install

Submitted: Monday, Apr 15, 2013 at 14:31
ThreadID: 101711 Views:10568 Replies:5 FollowUps:16
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,
I have bought a wireless reversing camera.

It comes with a transmitter and a receiver. The wire on the transmitter unit is supposed to tap into the reverse light wire to get the power for the camera and transmitter.

Unfortunately the wire from the transmitter is very fine and I doubt long enough to reach my reverse light wires. (wires got a bit shortened during my testing :)).

Just wandering if I extend the wire would it be best to match the gauge of the existing fine wire or should I match the wires of the reversing lights (this would be best as it would make tapping into the reverse wire easier).

Do I need to worry about chucking in a fuse?

Thanks for any help,
Rich
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: bluefella - Monday, Apr 15, 2013 at 15:21

Monday, Apr 15, 2013 at 15:21
In my opinion a slightly thicker wiring would not hurt? I have done this on various gauges etc. I fuse anything I add to my vehicle as close to power source as possible.
AnswerID: 509077

Follow Up By: Member - Rich - Monday, Apr 15, 2013 at 18:07

Monday, Apr 15, 2013 at 18:07
Blue,
Thanks for that. I will try and match the wire gauge from reversing lights.

Would I worry about a fuse if tapping in to the reversing lights as that is already fused. I am not running the leads from the battery.

Calling these things wireless is a bit wrong as you need power and cables for the transmitter and receiver. The only thing you don't have to do is run a cable between the camera and monitor. I cna still do this and not use the wireless stuff if I want I suppose.

Thanks again,
Richard
FollowupID: 786753

Follow Up By: bluefella - Monday, Apr 15, 2013 at 18:12

Monday, Apr 15, 2013 at 18:12
Hi Rich
Any wire I run from an original source I fuse, It's a safe guard against damage to your original wiring.
FollowupID: 786756

Follow Up By: Member - Rich - Monday, Apr 15, 2013 at 18:25

Monday, Apr 15, 2013 at 18:25
Thanks again Blue, make sense and good advice.

Rich
FollowupID: 786758

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Tuesday, Apr 16, 2013 at 09:25

Tuesday, Apr 16, 2013 at 09:25
All wireless transmitters need power. Some, like handheld UHF CBs, use batteries. Others get their power from the mains as in a home base CB, or from the cars battery for a UHF CB or for your reversing video camera from some source that is powered from the battery such as a reversing light circuit. Turn the light on by selecting reverse gear, power is turned on for the light and bingo, the camera is powered up.

The video data stream is carried by the radio signal just the same as your voice is carried by the UHF two way. Wireless is the same as radio. Wireless = no wires. ie via radio signal.

Just to clarify something for you about your statement "I cna still do this and not use the wireless stuff if I want I suppose.". You still have to use the wireless/radio part to get the video from the camera to the screen wherever it is.

How's that mate. Clear as mud?

Phil
FollowupID: 786805

Follow Up By: Member - Rich - Tuesday, Apr 16, 2013 at 12:09

Tuesday, Apr 16, 2013 at 12:09
Phil,
Thanks for the reply.
Understood the wireless does need some power source. I was trying to make a point that there are still lots of wires around even with wireless, in fact more I reckon on my set up.

My transmitter and receiver are plugged into the camera and monitor respectively and as such can be removed and then run a wire to connect the camera to the monitor as is done in a non wireless implementation. I have done this and it works.

Rich

FollowupID: 786812

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Tuesday, Apr 16, 2013 at 12:42

Tuesday, Apr 16, 2013 at 12:42
Excellent

I prefer our cabled system. Less chance of interference.

Phil
FollowupID: 786815

Follow Up By: Member - Rich - Tuesday, Apr 16, 2013 at 13:31

Tuesday, Apr 16, 2013 at 13:31
Phil,
Starting to think that way myself.

The wireless is fun to play with though :)

Have a good one,
Rich
FollowupID: 786827

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Tuesday, Apr 16, 2013 at 14:15

Tuesday, Apr 16, 2013 at 14:15
And you don't drill any holes in the wrong place or put a screw through bodywork to find the center of a fuel line on the other side that you couldn't see before. Heaps safer.

Whichever way you go you will find the reversing camera a great aid. But don't get lazy and not look first.

I also upgraded the reversing lights with a couple of wide angled bright lights. You can never have too much in the bush. But I do have them on a separate switch to make sure they do not blind the cop in the car behind when reverse parking. Can't have a blind policeman now can we.

For the lights I ran a wire from the positive at the reversing light up to a switch I installed in the center console and back to the lights at the rear. Like the reversing lights they can only be switched on when in reverse. I am kind of proud of the switches in the console. Took ages to find the right ones. Not really legal but heaps safer than just the standard ones.

While you are running the cable if you go that option, keep my addition to the reversing lights in mind.

Catchya

Phil

FollowupID: 786833

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Tuesday, Apr 16, 2013 at 14:18

Tuesday, Apr 16, 2013 at 14:18
By not legal I was referring to the lights not the switches.

Oh for an editor.

Phil
FollowupID: 786834

Reply By: Priscilla G - Monday, Apr 15, 2013 at 17:50

Monday, Apr 15, 2013 at 17:50
Can you buy a wireless reversing camera for caravans as well? If so from where?
AnswerID: 509085

Follow Up By: Member - Toyocrusa (NSW) - Monday, Apr 15, 2013 at 18:00

Monday, Apr 15, 2013 at 18:00
Hi. Most wireless camera systems suffer from radio interference from various sources as you are travelling. A hard wired system is much more efficient. Cheers,Bob
FollowupID: 786751

Follow Up By: Member - Rich - Monday, Apr 15, 2013 at 18:01

Monday, Apr 15, 2013 at 18:01
Jaycar have them but am unsure how good they are.

Rich
FollowupID: 786752

Follow Up By: Member - Wayne B - Monday, Apr 15, 2013 at 20:12

Monday, Apr 15, 2013 at 20:12
Hi
We have a Response wireless reversing camera from Jaycar fitted to the back of our van.
Had it on for a year or so with no problems.
We wired it so that when the van is plugged to the ute the camera is on.
That way we can use it whilst travelling.
Reversing lights only power it when backing up.
FollowupID: 786774

Reply By: KenInPerth - Monday, Apr 15, 2013 at 18:52

Monday, Apr 15, 2013 at 18:52
Rich

Not knowing exactly what you have at the receiver (monitor) end I would offer the following input to the discussion:

1. Wire gauge does not matter as long as not less that the one on the equipment.

2. Generally the transmitter (camera end) would (or could be) permanently powered (with fuse if from a battery source and not supplied as part of the camera).

3. The receiver end could be the one powered via the reversing switch if that makes it easier such that it only turns on when you are reversing (and if you fuse it separately use a smaller fuse than the reversing light fuse in the car - the draw of this stuff would be minimal so say a 1Amp fuse should be adequate and way smaller than the car fuse and thus protect the car fuse).

4. Depending on the monitor you have, often these have a control wire that is the one to connect to the reversing switch such that the monitor (or that input) will only turn on when the car is in reverse. The other stuff can then be permanently powered.

AnswerID: 509089

Follow Up By: KenInPerth - Monday, Apr 15, 2013 at 19:02

Monday, Apr 15, 2013 at 19:02
5. if the monitor has multiple inputs (as in you view more than one input on the monitor) you could permanently power everything and just select the camera input when you want to see what is happening at the rear.
FollowupID: 786764

Follow Up By: Member - Rich - Monday, Apr 15, 2013 at 22:04

Monday, Apr 15, 2013 at 22:04
Ken,
Thanks for the info.
I was thinking of a permanent connection at transmitter end. I have a dual battery with plugs in the back so could wire to it. The set up I have can be seen at http://www.ebay.com/itm/261035107182
The power for both the camera and transmitter is supposed to come from the tap in to the reversing light wire. I don't think they would draw much so just could just go to the dual battery plugs and have it running all the time. Putting in a 1 amp fuse would make it safer. as you suggested.

Could do the same with the receiver and and monitor.

Initially I may just plug it all in to cigarette plugs I have in the back and front to make sure it all works before cutting wires. I guess this way I can just pull out the plugs to turn it off. Having a switch to turn the monitor on off would make it less distracting.

Many thanks,
Rich
FollowupID: 786783

Follow Up By: KenInPerth - Monday, Apr 15, 2013 at 23:45

Monday, Apr 15, 2013 at 23:45
Rich

There are so many options but I tend to like the switch option or having the system permanently powered up and selecting an input channel on the monitor rather than hooking up to the reversing switch or lights as there are times I find it handy to have the camera on even when not reversing (ie. hooking up the caravan) and you also don't suffer the delay with some systems for the monitor coming up and displaying after you select Reverse.

Happy fiddling.
FollowupID: 786789

Reply By: steamfire01 - Monday, Apr 15, 2013 at 19:57

Monday, Apr 15, 2013 at 19:57
Rich
My advice would be to toss the wireless unit and take a look at the website of Safety Dave in Melbourne - good products and reasonable prices
He carries reversing cameras suitable for caravans as well. They are easy to install.
No connection between safety Dave & me, I'm just a satisfied customer.
Keep safe out there.
Regards
TJ
AnswerID: 509095

Follow Up By: Member - Rich - Tuesday, Apr 16, 2013 at 04:08

Tuesday, Apr 16, 2013 at 04:08
Tj,
Same issues would apply no matter which one I got I suspect.
I have seen some of his videos and does like a good one to deal with.

I will check them out if (probably when) I destroy this one :).

Thanks again
Rich
FollowupID: 786791

Reply By: bks - Tuesday, Apr 16, 2013 at 12:34

Tuesday, Apr 16, 2013 at 12:34
Slightly off topic but I'm looking at getting a reversing camera, I think I would get a hard wired rather than wireless.

My question is what are the rear vision mirror, type of monitor like? I not sure how they would work i.e. are they like a normal mirror that switches to a monitor when the camera is activated or is there a perminant screen on the mirror?

Any advise appreciated
AnswerID: 509124

Sponsored Links