Comment: Cape York

planning go to cap york about mid-june whit a toyota surf asking for some advice new to big 4x4 trip doing all the basic mechanic pretty good set up 12 500 lbs winch roof tent plenty of water good storage 4 " lift kit 2.4 turbo diesel any advice welcome and would like to find some other 4x4 to tag along im on my own so feel free thanks you
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Monday, Apr 15, 2013 at 22:57

Monday, Apr 15, 2013 at 22:57
There are basically two types of trips up there. Up and down the Development Road to the tip and side drives to Weippa and Cooktown. Or a trip off road to tracks such as Frenchmans, The Starckie and the Tele track plus others. From your post I would suggest that unless you get company who are prepared to supply all your recovery kit and help you through the rough spots that you stick to the Development Road.

For the development road type of trip you should at least get a compressor and a tyre puncture repair kit (learn how to use it) and look at your tyre pressures for the corrugations and bull dust.

Whilst anyone with some reasonable experience would successfully drive a VW or Kingswood up there, I am sorry to say that you do not appear to be so experienced. So either go with a group or stay at home. And get some off road driving done before hand. Don't go alone.

I sincerely hope that you have some off road skills and preferably training.

All said with your best interests at heart mate.

Phil
AnswerID: 509101

Follow Up By: philippe 4runner - Thursday, Apr 18, 2013 at 21:20

Thursday, Apr 18, 2013 at 21:20
sorry was out playing in the mudd .. you post ..is a bit rude ..im asking for advice more than anyting .. cap york is new for me so id rather ask question !
FollowupID: 787083

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Thursday, Apr 18, 2013 at 21:40

Thursday, Apr 18, 2013 at 21:40
That was far from my aim. I took the words " new to big 4x4 trip doing " as meaning that you were not too experienced. The car was fine but you were new. Maybe I lost the real understanding because of the lack of punctuation that I am used. I understand your car is up to the task even for the Tele, Frenchmans, CREB and the Starckie. But your words troubled me so I was playing it safe.

If you have good experience in the bush then you shouldn't have any hassles. Obviously as you were insulted then this may be the case. But it is advisable to try and link up with someone for the tracks mentioned above. Especially the CREB if it is wet because of the clay on some steep sections.

Apparently others took it the same way and I was terribly disappointed and hoped that I would have the chance to talk to you.

Don't get off your horse about my reference to your grammar and punctuation skills. I do not text nor anything like that so I am used to the older styles. Fair enough???

Enjoy your trip and remember that I was just being cautious and not sending a real novice into deep water. Bye the way watch Nolans. When we went through there it was licking at the windscreen.

Obviously the usual safety things and correct tyre pressures are important and will help and lets hope the PDR is not as corrugated as when we were there a few years back.

Okay? That better and what are your off road skills.

Phil

FollowupID: 787087

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Friday, Apr 19, 2013 at 00:42

Friday, Apr 19, 2013 at 00:42
You said you were new "new to big 4x4". That's how I answered you. Go and read it again. Especially the last sentence.
FollowupID: 787100

Reply By: mountainman - Tuesday, Apr 16, 2013 at 02:57

Tuesday, Apr 16, 2013 at 02:57
hmm thats some pretty sad advice from above..

plenty of travellers head off to the cape..
easy way, as mentioned in a car, and a 4wd track for the others as well as harder tracks..

and you'd hardly find yourself alone, only at the start and end of season maybe.
just make sure no mechanical issues before you leave, cheaper in your home town, than some place out of the way, and waiting for parts..

dont listen to the pessimists on here..

life is meant to be an adventure !
not listen to arm chair experts.. on their view of your experience..

id be doing a more thorough mechanical check before you head off..
and the basics along the way..

join a few 4wd forums, outerlimits, lcool, 4wd action..
wont find too many negative people... than on here.....
thats a better start
AnswerID: 509105

Follow Up By: Lyn W3 - Tuesday, Apr 16, 2013 at 07:09

Tuesday, Apr 16, 2013 at 07:09
Agree with Mountainman!!!

We've been to the Cape 7 times in the past 25 years an never had a puncture. The road is as hard or as easy as you want to make it, use the PDR and you won't have to select 4WD. On the OTL you can chose to do the crossings or there are bypasses if you feel uncomfortable.

Lots of traffic up there now so if you have your own recovery gear someone will always help.

For us we avoid Nolan's as we don't want to drown our car a long way from home.

Drive to the conditions and you wont have any problems.
FollowupID: 786792

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Tuesday, Apr 16, 2013 at 07:22

Tuesday, Apr 16, 2013 at 07:22
Mountainman (??) or whatever you name is.

At least I got a thanks so he understood me.

Such a negative attack on my whole post. Not one hint of anything that I said was correct. "sad", "pessimist" and "arm chair experts"? You really have a negative view of this forum and those using it.

For your info I have been driving off road since the 60's. And in all manner of vehicles both tracked and with tyres.

Not sad at all just realistic. His post inferred a new 4WDer so I treated it as that. He needs practical stuff.

Joining a forum is fine and reading what to do is fine but putting it into practice, in just a few weeks, what to do is another matter. How do you feel what it's like from a form when you go into a corner too fast on heavy corrugations. They cannot be "felt" from the written word. How do you "feel" on a forum that a tyre is going down. You can't feel how hard to push the tyre repair plunger into a hole to fix a leak.

All this is the main reason why I recommended to join a group.

Phil
FollowupID: 786793

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Tuesday, Apr 16, 2013 at 07:29

Tuesday, Apr 16, 2013 at 07:29
Moderators. Criticism like I just put up doesn't help our friend. Could you please delete my post. I am not after an argument with this mountain whatever character either.

It's too nice a day to be negative.

Thanks guys

Phil
FollowupID: 786795

Follow Up By: Penchy - Tuesday, Apr 16, 2013 at 11:40

Tuesday, Apr 16, 2013 at 11:40
+2 mountainman. If every adventure had every possible issue accounted for with a contigency plan in place then it wouldn't be an adventure! I too am going to do a cape trip on my own - none of my mates are into 4wd touring and I'm not much into old blokes (like Phil?) in 4wd clubs who get out and inspect every bump in the road before crawling over in L1.

If the timing is right phillippe I'll send you a message and tag along. Other than that the best advice I heard was if you get to a spot that looks a bit hairy, get the chair out and have a beer and wait for the next person to come along to go over/through it and give you some assistance. Or just have a chat to some other 4wders on the way and tag along with them. Have a good trip.
FollowupID: 786811

Follow Up By: mountainman - Tuesday, Apr 16, 2013 at 13:16

Tuesday, Apr 16, 2013 at 13:16
that funnae..
you pretty well told the guy to stay at home if he cant find anyone to go with him !!
you should re read your posts, or you forget your glasses again !! ha ha

life isnt meant to be fun without knowing all the risks, you dont get a manual when you bring a kid into the world.......

its sad soo many people get told not to go out and see this beautifull country side because " someones been driving offroad since the 60's "
and they know better hey..
its just soo typical on this forum, new comers come to sites like this, and get bitten by the 4wd bug..
and the old timers tell them that ooh you cant do it alone, soo go sit in front of your chair and watch the tv..
what sort of life is that.. ?
everyone starts off learning, never ends..

plenty of people on the tracks these days, not that no one goes up the cape, its even more popular..

well golly i got 2 thanks to my posts, you got none..

you wont learn stuff by sitting at home, in front of the tv..
its about getting out there !!
or you learn all that stuff on a simulator ??
before you headed out ha ha..

this isnt a dig, im just sick of people shooting others down and say, ooh you better not head out bush.. you dont know anything.. or lack the experience.. how other do you learn!!
better in front of the tv.. its much safer..
FollowupID: 786822

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Tuesday, Apr 16, 2013 at 14:29

Tuesday, Apr 16, 2013 at 14:29
This post has been read by the moderation team and has been moderated due to a breach of The Personal Attacks Rule .

Forum Moderation Team
FollowupID: 786835

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Tuesday, Apr 16, 2013 at 14:44

Tuesday, Apr 16, 2013 at 14:44
Read my initial post again.

I said "From your post I would suggest that unless you get company who are prepared to supply all your recovery kit and help you through the rough spots that you stick to the Development Road. "

That means to either go with a group or go on your own BUT if on your own stick to the Development road etc.
FollowupID: 786837

Follow Up By: Lyn W3 - Tuesday, Apr 16, 2013 at 16:38

Tuesday, Apr 16, 2013 at 16:38
Ummmmm......

"So either go with a group or stay at home"
FollowupID: 786844

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Tuesday, Apr 16, 2013 at 18:47

Tuesday, Apr 16, 2013 at 18:47
Thanks Lyn

Expletive and expletive and even more expletives.

I sincerely apologise to anyone who was polite enough to try and get me to see the error of my ways in a civil manner. Apologies to Phillippe, Lyn W3 and Penchy.

I was trying to say that if Phillippe was just a "sunday driver" and no off-road experience especially on corrugated roads then stay home until you do have at least some idea of what to do. Or go with someone.

Phil
FollowupID: 786867

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Wednesday, Apr 17, 2013 at 02:17

Wednesday, Apr 17, 2013 at 02:17
Darn my brain being sizzled with the chemo. I have been trying to figure out where I went wrong. I didn't go wrong.

I WAS CORRECT IN WHAT I SAID.

The quote, "So either go with a group or stay at home", was in a paragraph discussing pure driving skills on dirt. Maybe the author didn't have much driving experience at all. What if he just got his licence and you lot tell him to go and he slips off the PDR because of the corrugations, rolls the car and is killed. Great advice NOT.

Phillippe may be an excellent driver or a complete novice. How do we know? Have any of you met him and personally know his skills? I think not. That's why in a forum, any forum or even in the pub, you have to be careful and not just tell them to pack their bags and go. "It's an adventure". If anything happened because they took your advice then how would you feel. I would feel shattered. But then again maybe you wouldn't care.

This is a lesson that I certainly hope my sizzled brain will NOT forget.

I was just covering all bases. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
FollowupID: 786908

Follow Up By: Penchy - Wednesday, Apr 17, 2013 at 07:48

Wednesday, Apr 17, 2013 at 07:48
for crying out loud! Add another post explaining your comments so I get another email telling me there was a follow up and waste my time having another look. How do we know he is a good driver? We don't! How do we know you're a good driver? We dont! So why are your comments worth more than ours? Driving since the 60's doesn't mean your a good driver, could mean you have 50 years of bad habits.
No doubt this will spur on some more follow ups - yay NOT. lol
FollowupID: 786914

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Wednesday, Apr 17, 2013 at 09:40

Wednesday, Apr 17, 2013 at 09:40
I don't appreciate being made a fool of by illiterate people like mountain man who cannot comprehend the written word.

No more Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
FollowupID: 786931

Reply By: mikehzz - Tuesday, Apr 16, 2013 at 07:38

Tuesday, Apr 16, 2013 at 07:38
A 4" lift and 12500lb winch isn't going to get stuck in many places. However, long haul 4wd touring can be hard on the car and the most common things that break are the non standard accessories. Just be gentle on the car and don't run the tyre pressures too high.
AnswerID: 509110

Follow Up By: philippe 4runner - Thursday, Apr 18, 2013 at 21:18

Thursday, Apr 18, 2013 at 21:18
its a good start ..i belive i will keep you update it thanks mate !
FollowupID: 787082

Reply By: Mick O - Tuesday, Apr 16, 2013 at 18:24

Tuesday, Apr 16, 2013 at 18:24
Philippe,

my advice is to have good tyres preferably under 5 years old and in good nick. Older tyres can become brittle and will fracture, crack and generally spring leaks when you least wanty them to.

If you are thinking of buying a plug kit for tyre repairs, buy a good one. By that I mean one with solid handles and not the plastic handles things. The ARB kit is a good one but $50. I noticed in the ABR newsletter the other day that Derek has a plug kit as well now which appears to be of the same quality as the ARB kit. Struth ABR...ARB, heres the link. That should make it easier.

Tyre repair kit

(it's a fair way down the page).

A few spares might be advisable particularly if your vehicle is an older or rarer model. A couple of hoses, a belt, a length of heater hose, some hose clamps and an air and fuel filter. No need to go overboard.

Good luck and enjoy the trip
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 509152

Follow Up By: philippe 4runner - Thursday, Apr 18, 2013 at 21:23

Thursday, Apr 18, 2013 at 21:23
thanks mate i will have a look should i carry one spare or two spare ? what kind of pressure you run in your tire up there ?
FollowupID: 787085

Reply By: mountainman - Tuesday, Apr 16, 2013 at 21:00

Tuesday, Apr 16, 2013 at 21:00
allow decent time for travel, and some rest days..
i hear people from melbourne do it in 2weeks, its like 8000km trip..
then they fly on the dirt and wonder why they crashed.. many fatalities too.
its meant to be A HOLIDAY TO ENJOY.!!

enjoy yourself, drive to the conditions, drop a few pounds out of your tyres on the dirt and adjust speed to suit.
that will save your tyres..
and the car, as well as you.

see a good spot make camp, enjoy the surrounds.

take many many photos for you to remember for years to come.
and back them up when you can.. on a file or something.

AnswerID: 509163

Follow Up By: philippe 4runner - Thursday, Apr 18, 2013 at 21:16

Thursday, Apr 18, 2013 at 21:16
thanks mate im going there on my own speed and im in no rush !
FollowupID: 787081

Reply By: philippe 4runner - Thursday, Apr 18, 2013 at 21:28

Thursday, Apr 18, 2013 at 21:28
Hi i was out playing in the mudd im back now and it suck ! im more worry about my small engine 2.4 td .. most im reading is landcruiser troopy ect ... is it gonna be a probleme or i should get by ? My friend want to joint but is 4 runner is automatique .. is a good driver do you believe is gonna be fine ?
thanks appreciat all the help !
AnswerID: 509281

Reply By: mountainman - Thursday, Apr 18, 2013 at 22:39

Thursday, Apr 18, 2013 at 22:39
i think this thread has gone on enough..

it needs to be left alone..

can you start a new thread and have this one buried please.

it realy doesnt need to be continued with what has been said on here

automatics are brilliant off road, going up, and some can be realy good going down.
only trouble you have is a flat battery, or other stuff, and if alone how do you start it !
when its not realy good to roll start an auto..

but they do roll away down hill, worse with a trailer, unless you spend a few grand and munualise the auto to act like a manual..
the best thing with a small motor, is economy..
keep it reliable, and dont worry.
AnswerID: 509287

Reply By: Member - silkwood - Saturday, Apr 20, 2013 at 08:48

Saturday, Apr 20, 2013 at 08:48
Philippe, lots of vitriol in this post! You'll have a ball. I'm heading up there later this year in my Delica van, planning on taking the OTL and opting out where it seems too difficult (not planning on the CREB track, though!). My old Surf was more capable than my Deli, I took the Surf all over the place and it was brilliant. If you're well prepared (particularly tyres), take your time and ask advice on the way I wouldn't be too concerned.

Cheers,

Mark
AnswerID: 509366

Reply By: 523 - Sunday, Apr 21, 2013 at 09:58

Sunday, Apr 21, 2013 at 09:58
Hi
40,000 vehicles a year head to Cape York. My wife and i have
towed our caravan there twice. It can be corrugated and potholey, best to
try to do it just after the graders. If you take the OLT take your time, it's a highlight of the trip and easily doable with care. You will meet plenty of people doing it who
you can join up with.

AnswerID: 509440

Reply By: Michael F5 - Wednesday, May 15, 2013 at 20:42

Wednesday, May 15, 2013 at 20:42
Hi Philippe,

From where in Australia are you leaving to go to the Top End? I may be doing the same trip mid June. If I can be of any help to your preparation just let me know! I'm in a similar situation as far as traveling on my own. For myself it's the right time to travel although initial interested parties have pulled out. As far as what route to take to the top will depend on the conditions at the time of travel.

Just take your time, be well prepared, drive to the conditions and your experience level and if possible meet up with vehicles along the way at the Junctions etc.

Best Regards,

Mike
AnswerID: 511126

Sponsored Links