Comment: Holland Track

Hi all, feeling pretty excited to be doing the Holland Track in two weeks time. Question I have - is it suitable to tow a Jayco Hawk? Also can anyone point me in the direction for a printable map of the track with the places of interest?
Your replies are most appreciated. Rick
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Motherhen - Thursday, Apr 18, 2013 at 00:24

Thursday, Apr 18, 2013 at 00:24
Hi Rick

The most useful publication and guide is "Explore the Holland Track and Cave Hill Woodlines". I purchased my booklet from the ExplorOz bookshop, however it is showing as currently out of stock Bookshop Holland Track

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 509239

Follow Up By: Rod W - Thursday, Apr 18, 2013 at 08:30

Thursday, Apr 18, 2013 at 08:30
and if you had/have the first edition of the Holland Track book you will see photos of my home made 4x4 Dyna Twincab.
FollowupID: 787028

Reply By: MAVERICK(WA) - Thursday, Apr 18, 2013 at 13:46

Thursday, Apr 18, 2013 at 13:46
Buy the book - gives just about all you will need to know re the history and stuff to see. You can tow your Hawke - presume it is the off road version. Just be aware it will get scratched as there are a lot of parts on the track where the trees and bushes lie in wait to autograph your 4WD and whatever you are towing. Before you go check to see if there has been any significant rain - there are a few puddles out there at the moment but they can be driven around. If you are going during the school holidays you will not be alone so just be patient (and watch out for motorbikes - little ones and big ones). rgds
Slow down and relax......

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 509257

Reply By: Wayne's 60 - Friday, Apr 19, 2013 at 00:04

Friday, Apr 19, 2013 at 00:04
Hi Rick,

It is interesting to note that for the amount of people that do travel the track, you have had few replies. Maybe people are shy to reply because they are aware of the damage that may be inflicted on your Jayco. I am of the belief that people will do what they want, regardless of the comments made to the contrary on forums like this and to the amount of damage received.

FWIW, we are close to notching up fourteen trips along the track. EVERY trip is an adventure in itself, different times of year, different conditions and different attendees contribute to the enjoyment of the trip.

Not knowing the specific specifications for your Jayco, I can not comment further or answer your question and I would suggest you seek specific assistance from the track caretakers. Contact the T.L.C.C TLCC Holland Track for further information and probably more importantly ...... current information.

They may advise that you leave your Jayco at home and that will limit possible damage from traversing the track.

There have been a number of posts on caravan forums expressing sad feelings at the amount of damage to caravans that have been pulled down the track and without "adequate warnings"!!

We have seen large pop top caravans towed along the track and the damage that they have received and at the end of the day.... it is YOUR call.

Would we take something along the track that is larger than our vehicle ....in short the answer is NO.

With more traffic along the track, especially during school holidays, being able to safely pull off the track to let a larger group pass you, will be a major factor.

Read the article on ExplorOZ, buy the book which gives an enormous amount of information and information on alternatives and make the choice that you are happy with.

At the end of your trip, post on the forum to give others current information and give feedback to the T.L.C.C. for the very good work that they do.

Above all, ENJOY your trip.

Cheers,
Wayne & Sally.

AnswerID: 509293

Follow Up By: rickeik - Friday, Apr 19, 2013 at 00:21

Friday, Apr 19, 2013 at 00:21
We really appreciate the information and time given to reply to our request. I have bought the Holland Track and Cave Hill book and will read it before we leave and be as prepared as we can before we leave. Thanks again for the replies so far however feel free to submit more info if you can.
Cheers Rick
FollowupID: 787097

Reply By: Member - graeme W (WA) - Saturday, Apr 20, 2013 at 01:10

Saturday, Apr 20, 2013 at 01:10
Hi. A mate just returned this week from the holland track and cave hill. A bit of water in places that are now getting very deep but with tracks skirting the worst ones. Only saw a couple of other people and picked a warm quite weekend to do it. Another mate towed a coramal camper some years back without any damage but had high clearance and diff locks to help if he had become stuck. Also becomes difficult backing etc if towing as the track is tight in many places.
cheers Graeme.
AnswerID: 509357

Reply By: snottygobble - Tuesday, Apr 30, 2013 at 12:10

Tuesday, Apr 30, 2013 at 12:10
Rick has probably done his trip, in fact I did see a Jayco on the track 3 days ago. As Wayne said you can drag your camper through the tight sections - at a cost. Firstly your van will sustain damage, and secondly you will be testing the goodwill of your fellow travellers when passing becomes difficult!

We found only one part of the track - just a few kms between Mt Holland and the Hyden road - to be tight as said above. Here the original track is effectively impassable (deep ruts - say 1m deep) unless you have huge tyres and up for a challenge. The bypasses are sometimes tight although we had no issues with an off-road camper trailer (the type no wider than the car).

Adrian
AnswerID: 510039

Sponsored Links