Vehicle Safety Recall RA031 D40 Navara Towbar

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 18, 2013 at 09:16
ThreadID: 101758 Views:3896 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Nissan have sent out recall notices regarding towbars fitted to the Navara D40. The notice sent to me states that the attachment points can create excessive stress upon the chassis frame rails over time. As a result,cracks can occur at the ends of the chassis rails. In extreme cases,sections of the chassis rails around the towbar attachment points may bend when heavy load is applied.. The notice further states that whether the vehicle is fitted with a genuine Nissan accessory or not owners are advised to contact their local Nissan dealer & have the vehicle inspected. A genuine Nissan towbar with a revised design will be fitted & where required,repair to chassis rails will occur. My vehicle is a 2008 model D 40. I am not the original owner. I bought the vehicle to tow my 2.7tonne van & tow a caged trailer when required. When I was wiring an Anderson plug I noticed how thin the chassis rails appeared. I estimated 2.5mm. I noticed the I.D plate on the towbar stating it was a genuine Nissan towbar & verified I could tow 3000kg with a towball down weight of 300Kg.....I thought to myself when looking at the towbar mounting...."You have to be joking....this is dangerous" I showed the vehicle to a engineer friend who expresssed concerns as to the mounting points of the towbar,suggesting he would strengthen the mounting points before towing any heavy loads. I have heard stories of these towbars failing on Navaras. A friend towed his van w/out a WDH & on travelling across a railway crossing he lost towbar onto the ground. Thank goodness he was travelling very slow & had safety chains on. Anyway,if you have a D40 get it checked out. It has only taken 5 years for Nissan to realise the problem!!!!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ross M - Thursday, Apr 18, 2013 at 11:27

Thursday, Apr 18, 2013 at 11:27
NTVRX
A number of Navaras have either broken their mount points and some have lowered the towbar down towards the ground as a result of the brackets and or chassis cracking and breaking.

For your friend the issue of having safety chains attached is good but they only work when the towbar is attached or partially attached to the vehicle. Lucky Yes, but the safety chains have no effect when towbar/safety chains and caravan go wandering off by themselves. Then the only item you have left in the safety line is the 5 or 7 core electrical cable to keep it under control.

It seems Nissan has a bad record of towbar attachment, Just near the Logan freeway QLD I have seen an Xtrail, no chassis there, the towed covered tandem trailer complete with ball and towbar still attached was completely ripped off/removed from the Xtrail in a relatively small accident where the Xtrail was still driveable. In this case the electrical cable didn't add to the the integrity of the towbar fitment.

It makes you wonder who "really"engineers these items. If you save on the integrity and the fitting of the towbar think of what you save, and only a few will cause litigation so the company is in front.

Nissan has known of problems for a long long time. Until there is a certain number of complaint/incidents nothing will ever be done, it's called "business".

Ross M
AnswerID: 509247

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Friday, Apr 19, 2013 at 11:15

Friday, Apr 19, 2013 at 11:15
"Just near the Logan freeway QLD I have seen an Xtrail, no chassis there, the towed covered tandem trailer complete with ball and towbar still attached was completely ripped off/removed from the Xtrail"

When you say "covered tandem trailer" that conjures up the thought "what was the loaded weight of the trailer." Tandem axle trailers are heavy in themselves, then there as the pan-tech body on it. What was it loaded with? I have seen some tradesmen around here using X-trails with heavy looking trailers carrying their gear, I have wondered about their weight.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 787129

Reply By: The Bantam - Thursday, Apr 18, 2013 at 16:48

Thursday, Apr 18, 2013 at 16:48
There are plenty of us who are suspect of the high towing capacities of this latest generation of utes in general.

The pictures posted all over the place one after another showing utes with bent, sagging or detached rear chasis is further testiment...right across the brands.

Sounds to me that the tow bar is not the problem.......the chasis and the prescribed attachment points obviously are.

Why else would a car company pay to replace a tow bar they did not supply or fit.

And for this to be the response....there must be plenty of it happening or someone got killed or near too.

Holey snappin' duck sh!## Batman.

Sounds like the reasonable maximum towing capacity is more like the previous generation at around 1800 to 2000 KG or 30% less.

Yeh and thy all seem to be keen on replacing the old 6 cylinder ute designes like the 70 series and the patrol with these angry little light utes.

YEH right.

cheers
AnswerID: 509265

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Friday, Apr 19, 2013 at 11:26

Friday, Apr 19, 2013 at 11:26
Quote "Why else would a car company pay to replace a tow bar they did not supply or fit."

That's not the way I read it, I read it as they want to examine every vehicle but only replace genuine ones tow bars. Here is a copy of the what to do bit on my recall.

WHAT TO DO:
Irrespective of whether your vehicle is fitted with one of the above towbars or not, you are advised to contact your Nissan Dealer to arrange for an inspection and where required, rectification of your vehicle. The rectification includes the replacement of the genuine towbar to a revised design, and where required, the repair of the chassis rails. The inspection and any necessary work will be performed free of charge where a genuine Nissan towbar is being replaced.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 787132

Reply By: Martin Gladwin - Friday, Apr 19, 2013 at 08:42

Friday, Apr 19, 2013 at 08:42
Mine is getting inspected and new replacement hitch installed this morning.
Is an 2006 D40 RX Dual Cab.
I don't think I have cracks but to be honest I haven't looked to hard. See what they say.
AnswerID: 509309

Follow Up By: Martin Gladwin - Friday, Apr 19, 2013 at 10:29

Friday, Apr 19, 2013 at 10:29
Following up to my above post.
Nissan inspected the vehicle this morning and my tow bar is the one that needs to be replaced. It also has slight cracking of the chassis but not sure to what extent. I don't do much towing so not bothered if they just weld the cracks up.
FollowupID: 787119

Sponsored Links