Gibb River and Kalumburu Roads update.

Submitted: Friday, Apr 19, 2013 at 02:42
ThreadID: 101771 Views:2270 Replies:6 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Well another dry season seems to be upon us. A smaller wet season this time but not consistent throughout the Kimberley. Heavy falls in some areas caused some road damage including up towards Kalumburu but in other places it's quite dry.
The Gibb River road is now open all the way through.

The grader is now working on the Kalumburu Road to clear off the fallen trees and fill in the wash out gutters from the wet season. Not a full grade yet just very quick work to get it safe to be opened.
Can't tell you an exact opening date for our Kalumburu road as depends on how soon the grader can get the work done, can take a good guess that it will be open as far as the Mitchell Plateau turn off before 1 st May ( baring it raining again ).
The Mitchell plateau track may still have grader working on quick opening up work at end of month but think MP track very likely to opened same time as the Kalumburu road from GR road to MP turn off does.

Check with Shire of Wyndham East Kimberley before travel, it's their call to decide when to open it. I'm only trying to give travelers an idea of what may happen and when.

Due to road damage between the MP turn off and Kalumburu think it will be longer till that section of the Kalumburu Road road (MP turn off through to Kalumburu) can be opened.

Don't waste your time trying to sneak in to the Mitchell Falls before the road is legally opened, as you won't get in due to a locked gate on the MP track.
Also I have to say sorry but I won't serve fuel to anyone while the road is still closed.
Only about 12 days or less should see it open for access to the Mitchell Falls but as I said all the way through to Kalumburu will probably be longer.
I can't tell anyone any more than this so no use phoning me, instead just read the shire road report on their web site or call them if you need update closer to the end of the month.

We are running to be ready to open when the road does, looking forward to seeing you all if heading our way. Take care on our gravel roads, these days there are far to many accidents every year, 95% due to excessive speed.
cheers, Anne

Back Expand Un-Read 2 Moderator

Reply By: Michaeljp - Friday, Apr 19, 2013 at 03:55

Friday, Apr 19, 2013 at 03:55
Thank you very much for the update Anne.
AnswerID: 509299

Follow Up By: Member - ROADKING - Friday, Apr 19, 2013 at 11:11

Friday, Apr 19, 2013 at 11:11
Thanks Anne
we will be coming through mid July hopefully will see you then
Regards Jim
FollowupID: 787128

Reply By: Member - Mfewster(SA) - Friday, Apr 19, 2013 at 11:22

Friday, Apr 19, 2013 at 11:22
Thanks for that. We will see you around late May.
AnswerID: 509323

Reply By: Member - Arsenal Phill - Friday, Apr 19, 2013 at 17:28

Friday, Apr 19, 2013 at 17:28
Well don't I feel left behind??? LOL We won't be getting up to you until September Anne.
AnswerID: 509337

Follow Up By: veight - Friday, Apr 19, 2013 at 20:39

Friday, Apr 19, 2013 at 20:39
They also have the hottest showers on the GRR. Just what you want on a cold night. Many thanks I enjoyed my camping there last year.
Matthew
FollowupID: 787187

Reply By: Smouch - Friday, Apr 19, 2013 at 21:50

Friday, Apr 19, 2013 at 21:50
Hi Anne,

Bit of a blast from the past to see your post.

My name is Steve. Myself and partner Jacquie worked for you and John for 3 months or so back in 91.

Your post certainly brought back a few good memories.

Thanks.

AnswerID: 509350

Follow Up By: Drysdale River Station - Friday, Apr 19, 2013 at 22:42

Friday, Apr 19, 2013 at 22:42
Hi Steve, Gosh that is so long ago ! You honestly wouldn't know the place now. My kids would have all been little, youngest would have been about 3 then. She is now 25 and soon to give us one more grandchild. Don't the years just fly past.
Must stop chatting have a mass of paper work to do, seem to be getting further behind each day and opening day is almost upon us once again. Nice to hear from you, cheers, Anne
FollowupID: 787192

Reply By: Isuzumu - Sunday, Apr 21, 2013 at 13:10

Sunday, Apr 21, 2013 at 13:10
Hi Anne, thanks for the up date on the road conditions. Hope to be visiting you late May or early June.
AnswerID: 509460

Reply By: J.T. - Sunday, Apr 21, 2013 at 14:18

Sunday, Apr 21, 2013 at 14:18
Hi Anne

Super post.Will be up yourway in my old Landrover series 2 in May. Do you see many old Landrovers up your way. I will be looking out for others. I only go 80kms per hour and my vehicle is in great condition.its a bit bumpy but the motor is quite powerful with the addition of a set of headers and I rebuilt the injection pump on the motor. Its the first diesel injection pump Ive built and its running smoother and more powerful and better economy.
AnswerID: 509470

Follow Up By: Drysdale River Station - Sunday, Apr 21, 2013 at 15:28

Sunday, Apr 21, 2013 at 15:28
Hi JT
Not a lot of landrovers old or new, but over the years we have seen everything here even vintage cars with the old wire wheel spokes and they made it all the way to Mitchell Falls !
cheers, Anne
FollowupID: 787361

Sponsored Links