Bullbars

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 01, 2004 at 13:42
ThreadID: 10178 Views:5042 Replies:8 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
I have purchased a 2002 Landcruiser to tow a offroad van around Australia for up to a year. I plan to do as much off roading as possible, but as I will be on my own for most of the trip I will not be too adventurous offroad in case I get bogged or stranded.
My question is, how necessary is a bullbar, as my Landcruiser does not currently have one. If the answer is " necessary " can anyone recommend a particular brand &/or place to have it fitted.
I live in Melbourne.

Cheers
Tac
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bernie from Berns Beaks & Tradesman Trailers - Sunday, Feb 01, 2004 at 15:37

Sunday, Feb 01, 2004 at 15:37
yes a bullbar is a extremly handy piece of equipment to have on you vehicle so long as it is a steel one because aluminium bullbars are just NOT UP TO THE TASK if needed to be used to pull the vehicle out of a creek or bog also if you hit anything heavier than an empty plastic bag the aluminium bullbars collapse and self distruct and they really don't weigh much less than a steel one anyway.
go to your local towbar & bullbar fitter and i suggest you buy an ARB BULLBAR
THEY REALLY DO WORK and are strong and also look good.
by the way i don't represent ARB i just happen to admire a quality product

regards - Bernie Berns Beaks & Tradesman Trailers
AnswerID: 45046

Follow Up By: Roachie - Monday, Feb 02, 2004 at 15:26

Monday, Feb 02, 2004 at 15:26
Bernie,
I agree with you about steel being better than alloy etc and also that ARB is the best bar to get. The only thing I think you're wrong about is saying that the aluminium bar is "not up to the task if needed to pull vehicle out creek or bog" etc etc. Nobody should EVER use a bullbar as a recovery point IMHO. My Patrol has a ARB steel bar, but the recovery points (1 factory plus 1 aftermarket) are located on the chassis rails. I have seen some bullbars with bolted-on eyes in front or hooks on top (eg: old 45 series Toyota L/Cruisers etc) and no doubt these are soundly mounted for that particular vehicle. However, with modern vehicles with airbags etc, the bullbar is no place to attach a snatch strap or winch cable etc.
Just my opinion.
Cheers,
Roachie
FollowupID: 307273

Reply By: Will - Sunday, Feb 01, 2004 at 16:17

Sunday, Feb 01, 2004 at 16:17
I agree, get an arb steel bullbar.
AnswerID: 45052

Reply By: Member - Karl - Sunday, Feb 01, 2004 at 18:00

Sunday, Feb 01, 2004 at 18:00
Yes they are a good idea, especially driving around the country. On my 80 Series I have the polyurithain (not spelt right I know) 'Smartbar'. I haven't hit anything yet - and I hope I never, but it is made well and light weight and for 100 Series you can get winch models.

A word of caution though - I wouldn't buy a steel bull bar (or any other type of bar) to use to pull anything out of a bog. Fit good quality recovery hooks or you may find that you will rip your bar from the front.Everyone is entitled to have an opinion - just make sure that yours is correct.
AnswerID: 45062

Follow Up By: troy - Monday, Feb 02, 2004 at 19:21

Monday, Feb 02, 2004 at 19:21
There are about bolts that holds mine onto the chassis (sorry cant spell tonight)
troy
FollowupID: 307301

Follow Up By: troy - Monday, Feb 02, 2004 at 19:22

Monday, Feb 02, 2004 at 19:22
16 bolts
FollowupID: 307302

Reply By: KiwiAngler - Sunday, Feb 01, 2004 at 19:58

Sunday, Feb 01, 2004 at 19:58
I would also ensure that you get it fitted professionally and ensure that they fit the "concertina thingies" between bullbar and chassis to ensure that your airbags still work :-)
AnswerID: 45077

Reply By: Member - Jack - Sunday, Feb 01, 2004 at 21:00

Sunday, Feb 01, 2004 at 21:00
No idea what an "estate" bar is, but there is one for sale on eBay starting at $500.
It might fit the bill.
JackNo trees were harmed in the making or sending of this message.
However a great number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
AnswerID: 45085

Follow Up By: Landcruiser - Sunday, Feb 01, 2004 at 21:51

Sunday, Feb 01, 2004 at 21:51
The estate bar is an alloy bar supplied by toyota... i had one on my car but vowed never to get another alloy bar again... they provide the vehicle no protection!!!
FollowupID: 307226

Reply By: Landcruiser - Sunday, Feb 01, 2004 at 21:47

Sunday, Feb 01, 2004 at 21:47
Hi there.....

I have had both the alluminium and steel bull bars on my 100 series landcruiser...

I believe that a bullbar is a neccessary item for the serious 4wder...

i had to replace my alloy (Toyota Estate Bar) after my car came to rest along a tree stump... The alloy bar provided me zero protection at all!!! I vow to NEVER get another alloy bar again!!! They look good but provide no protection!!!

I replaced the alloy bar with an ARB Deluxe Winch Bar.... It looks awesome, fits great and provides me with the strength that i need....

I am looking at purchasing another 4wd in the near future and the only bullbar that i will ever fir is an ARB... I have had a look at some of the competitors products and have not liked the finish , quality, look or fittment of their bars... ARD has done me well!!!

When looking at a bar, make sure that they are constructed out or a songle piece of steel, and that all joins are welded... The TJM bar was my second choice, but i found that it was a 3 piece bar... Not strong enough in my books!!!

I hope this info has been helpful for you...

Cheers and happy 4wding...
AnswerID: 45101

Reply By: Cashy - Monday, Feb 02, 2004 at 13:06

Monday, Feb 02, 2004 at 13:06
Tac,

To answer your question no they are not necesary, but highly recommended for outback travel. With the van in tow I would definitely be looking at fitting one as your stopping distance wil be increased and it would be dangerous to try and stop suddenly to avoid hitting a roo and possibly end up rolling the cruiser and/or van.

I would recommend a steel ARB winch bar, this will allow you to fit a winch later if you want with out buying a new bar, also I believe they are stronger then the none winch bars, but that is only in my opinion.

Cashy
AnswerID: 45163

Reply By: Moose - Monday, Feb 02, 2004 at 14:48

Monday, Feb 02, 2004 at 14:48
G'day Tac
No they are not necessary however they are handy places to hang spotties, aerials, winches etc. I have a steel one, have travelled thousands of kilometres on outback roads in the Cruiser and have never hit any largish animal however I don't like travelling at night. If you do intend to do be on the road at night then certainly consider getting one or slow down heaps. The most use mine gets is when I'm doing surveys for trips and it gets used to push through regrowth on seldom used tracks. I think that they also make a 4WD look like the genuine thing and I'll bet that lots of people buy them for that very reason.
You will still be able to get a recovery hook fitted to the chassis rails without having a bullbar fitted.
Having said all that I wouldn't be without one.
If you do get one go for steel.
In summary - not essential but useful.
Have a safe trip.
AnswerID: 45172

Sponsored Links