Simpson Desert Trip With Ff250

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 01, 2004 at 14:27
ThreadID: 10179 Views:3158 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Crossing the Simpson With An F250 in May

Would like to hear from anyone who may have taken an F250 accross the desert
amount of fuel used,Petrol or Diesel,6CYL or V8, what line was taken through the
desert,perfomance of vehichle through sand,does lenght of vehichle cause any
problems cresting dunes caused by distance between of front and rear wheels,

Any other information would be appreciated
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: goingplatinumcomau - Sunday, Feb 01, 2004 at 14:52

Sunday, Feb 01, 2004 at 14:52
Hi Wanderer

Is you F250 a 7.3 am interested as from what i have seen around i am thinking of a F 250 ..........7.3
The people i have spoken to with them have nothing but praise......... and they have heaps more room than say a landcruser or that other one nissam ........nissam some clyinders 4 clyinder lol i carnt beleave they were so stupid
With thanks
AnswerID: 45042

Follow Up By: angie - Sunday, Feb 01, 2004 at 19:20

Sunday, Feb 01, 2004 at 19:20
platinum,

you might want to post some questions about the F250 on this site:

http://groups.msn.com/bushtrackerownersgroup/messages.msnw

Quite a few of the members have F250's or have ordered them for towing Bushtracker caravans. They would be more than happy to talk about their Effie's I can assure you.

Angie
FollowupID: 307218

Reply By: Wanderer - Sunday, Feb 01, 2004 at 15:10

Sunday, Feb 01, 2004 at 15:10
Hi

My F250 is the 4.2L Turbo Diesel I believe they are not available anymore
But performance wise I am very happy with the unit and you are right those that
own them are overall very happy with thier rigg mine has done 70,000klms
now and no problems
We own the extra cab and it is nice not to have personal items on the front seat
with you as there is plenty of room to store personell items in the back
hope this helps in answering your question

Wanderer
AnswerID: 45043

Reply By: Mick - Sunday, Feb 01, 2004 at 21:27

Sunday, Feb 01, 2004 at 21:27
Wanderer, check the fuel consumption figures given under "Trip Planning" on this site. Of course the length of the vehicle will cause more problems than a shorter vehicle and you may also find that the wheelbase could cause some difficulty for you if it's much wider than a Cruiser. You don't say whether you have petrol, diesel or gas or 6 or 8 cylinders. If you have petrol prepare to carry lots of fuel If your last fuel is Oodnadatta allow enough for about 700km. If you go via Mt Dare it's a bit less. The last 200 or so will be high consumption as the dunes become higher as you travel east. The first 400 or so km are quite easy going. My consumption for the first 475km (till the end of my reserve tank) was 13.5l/100. For the rest of the trip to Birdsville it jumped to about 20l/100. That was in a petrol V6Prado. I think an F250 would be much heavier on fuel than mine was though.
AnswerID: 45097

Reply By: Member - JohnR - Sunday, Feb 01, 2004 at 21:51

Sunday, Feb 01, 2004 at 21:51
Wanderer, a friend did the CSR in a 4.2 turbo last year and said he got the best economy of the vehicles that travelled the distance (Nissan and Toyota I think). The roominess is better than my GU and better load capacity. I may look a little closer that way in the future myself.

If you want to know what fuel economy on the CSR I could call him, I have not talked to him for a few months. He uses road tyres on it too all the timeRegards

JohnR - Not enough of the right travelling, some here..... some over there.......
AnswerID: 45103

Sponsored Links