Solar Panels

I am no expert with anything technical.
Just purchased solar panels to charge my deep cycle battery, if I plug into the Anderson plug on my vehicle will it charge, or should I just clip directly to the battery? Any advice appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: mountainman - Sunday, Apr 21, 2013 at 05:49

Sunday, Apr 21, 2013 at 05:49
you need to buy a regulator.
its like a one way valve.
power as in the charge goes into the battery, and the regulator stops it going back into the solar panels.
AnswerID: 509425

Reply By: Member - Toyocrusa (NSW) - Sunday, Apr 21, 2013 at 07:27

Sunday, Apr 21, 2013 at 07:27
It does depend on how your Anderson plug is wired. If it has an ignition cut out switch the solar power will not run to the battery. Make sure your panel has an inbuilt regulator and connect it direct to the battery would probably be the easiest. Bob
AnswerID: 509427

Reply By: Racey - Sunday, Apr 21, 2013 at 08:32

Sunday, Apr 21, 2013 at 08:32
Hi HG, Did you buy a plain solar panel, or one fitted with a regulator and lead?

A plain solar panel will require a regulator, who's main job is to regulate the charge to the battery. Ideally this regulator should be located close to the battery to maximise the charging current. I would recommend to to get a MPPT type regulator such as MPPT Regulator. There are many available on Ebay. Such a setup would mean you would need a dedicated plug between your panel and the regulator/battery.

If you have a panel with a regulator, best to clip it direct to your battery if possible. Assuming the battery is in your van, then you could plug the panel into the Anderson plug provided the Anderson plug is connected directly to the battery. The draw back will be a little extra voltage drop.

Cheers
AnswerID: 509432

Reply By: KenInPerth - Sunday, Apr 21, 2013 at 12:16

Sunday, Apr 21, 2013 at 12:16
HG

Offering something for consideration, have a look at the Ctek D250Sdual (around $250 through eBay outlets). Make sure it is the DUAL model as there was a D250S model also that is different.

Depending on your current set up, this will allow "smart" charging of the battery from both alternator and solar inputs (if the solar panels have an attached regulator that will need to be bypassed as the Ctek performs that role).

It is pretty much a "set and forget" option once installed and if your solar gets lots of sun you will probably never need to worry about any other external charging.

Get it done properly though if you are not savvy with this stuff and all the things that can be done wrong.

Ken
AnswerID: 509455

Follow Up By: Member - Hunter Gatherer - Sunday, Apr 21, 2013 at 22:10

Sunday, Apr 21, 2013 at 22:10
Thank you so much to everyone that took the time to respond, have a clear picture now, thank you all so much.
FollowupID: 787402

Sponsored Links