Tyre choice for 15,000 km trip

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 23, 2013 at 12:37
ThreadID: 101830 Views:2518 Replies:11 FollowUps:12
This Thread has been Archived
I drive a Ford Courier ute with a canopy and all the bits which weighs in it at 2800kg.
Im leaving for 10 weeks of travelling with 20% bitumen the rest sand,gravel, gibber.
I currently run BFG KM2 for the farm and all other driving. They are great.
I am deciding on what tyre for the trip and have considered these.
BFG KM2 muddies -
PROS - have them now. great on and off road.
CONS - My main concern is their 110 (D) load rating and poss wear rate
$230
Maxxis Buckshot -
PROS - my last set. They were great, did everything I wanted. Have a 115 (E) rating
CONS - wonder if they are as good a tyre as BFG technically
$215
Cooper AT3 - no experience with these. Have used ST and ST Maxx
PROS - 115 load rating, harder sidewalls
CONS - not used to going back to ATs after living in muddies now.
$240
Prices are too close to consider a factor.
Any feedback?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mudripper - Tuesday, Apr 23, 2013 at 12:48

Tuesday, Apr 23, 2013 at 12:48
Hello workhorse,

I have the Cooper AT3's on my '04 3.0iTD Rodeo. Very nice tyre. I am a regular firewood cutter and these tyres see a lot of rough terrain and heavy loads. They're fairly quiet on the road, and having a really deep tread they perform very well off-road. The main reason I went for these is their high load index (118 in my size) and strong sidewalls. So far I'm quite pleased.

Cheers,

Tim.
AnswerID: 509602

Reply By: olcoolone - Tuesday, Apr 23, 2013 at 13:44

Tuesday, Apr 23, 2013 at 13:44
The only benefit in muddies is in muddy conditions and then it has to be pretty muddy to show any real advantage.

A mud tyre will chip more, has less puncture resistance, worse handling , more noise and increases fuel consumption.

We use to run Toyo Open Country M/t/s on our last 4x4 and they were a fantastic tyre, when we got the 200 series we went to Mickey Thompson MTZ's...... they are the worse tyres I have ever used.

After 25k we changed over to Cooper S/T Maxx's and I love them..... they handle well, are quite, work well in mud and are fantastic on fast unsealed roads and sand.

I have come to the conclusion about muddies....... why have a tyre that you're only going to see any advantage with in maybe 5% of driving and for the other 95% you have to put up with noise, bad handling, less strength and increased fuel consumption.
AnswerID: 509607

Follow Up By: Member - Leigh (Vic) - Tuesday, Apr 23, 2013 at 19:43

Tuesday, Apr 23, 2013 at 19:43
Cannot help but think its the 5% where it can all turn to sh#t though!
FollowupID: 787568

Reply By: Johng - Tuesday, Apr 23, 2013 at 17:19

Tuesday, Apr 23, 2013 at 17:19
For what it's worth, the tyre repairer on the Gibb south of Mt Barnett Roadhouse stated that Coopers don't handle the heat in the tyre walls and recommends a LT tyre from the major brands as a superior performer on the rough rocky corrugation on the Gibb.
AnswerID: 509615

Follow Up By: Shaker - Wednesday, Apr 24, 2013 at 10:02

Wednesday, Apr 24, 2013 at 10:02
He's right, the Outback is littered with damaged Cooper tyres, including some of mine!
FollowupID: 787588

Reply By: escapesilv - Tuesday, Apr 23, 2013 at 18:10

Tuesday, Apr 23, 2013 at 18:10
Hi Workhorse

I have ATR's on my Challenger and AT3's on my work ute (Ranger), very happy with both, can't fault them.

But having said that I have never used BFG or Maxxis, I guess if you find something that works, why change.

Cheers

Rob.
AnswerID: 509619

Reply By: Mountain Goat - Tuesday, Apr 23, 2013 at 19:06

Tuesday, Apr 23, 2013 at 19:06
I'm onto my second set of Mickey Thompson ATZ LT tyres after getting around 140,000kms out of the last set of 5 in the rotation.
I think they are a brilliant tyre for all-round traction, wear and puncture resistance.
If i was to go for another similarly good tyre, I would go for Cooper's new ST Maxx.
After a mate's 4WD blew a Maxis sidewall out on a rock that an MT or Cooper would roll over, and had me lying in the mud and rain changing it for him, I will never go for a cheap tyre. You get what you pay for.
AnswerID: 509624

Reply By: Member - colin M - Tuesday, Apr 23, 2013 at 19:32

Tuesday, Apr 23, 2013 at 19:32
Just fitted 5 new goodyear wranglers to my ford ranger as am setting off again for another lap around the paddock including 3 weeks on gibb river rd and up to mitchell plateau leaving the caravan at kununurra and tenting it. Gross weight of my vehicle is 2900kg loaded. Have been using the wranglers for 3 years now and have been good. Cost $227 each at kmart tyres.
AnswerID: 509626

Follow Up By: workhorse - Tuesday, Apr 23, 2013 at 19:51

Tuesday, Apr 23, 2013 at 19:51
Hi Colin
May I ask what wranglers they are?
FollowupID: 787569

Follow Up By: Johng - Wednesday, Apr 24, 2013 at 12:36

Wednesday, Apr 24, 2013 at 12:36
Interesting. I travelled around Ozz last year, including along the Gibb and up to Mitchell Plateau. We also left the van at Kunnunurra and tented it on the Gibb.

I left home with the original Goodyear Wranglers HP that came on the Pathfinder when new. They were half worn out when we left, and the front tyres are still there, now 75% worn. The cuts and slices still in the tread from the rocks on the Gibb are testament to the roughness of the road. But they made it. We got two flats on the rear which were pluggable. The rears had to be changed en route because they were simply worn out due to the caravan load. I carried new Wranglers to fit in anticipation of this. Whilst I had excellent results from these Wranglers, I'd definitely go LT next time to help the stress levels (mine!)
FollowupID: 787602

Follow Up By: Member - colin M - Friday, Apr 26, 2013 at 22:01

Friday, Apr 26, 2013 at 22:01
235/75 R15 AT/SA 109T kmart tweed heads $227 each 5/3/13 same trye in palmerston nt 18/11/13 $259 each.

Always expect to pay a bit more up north.

Kmart also do free check and rotation after 10000km

Colin
FollowupID: 787873

Reply By: 08crd - Tuesday, Apr 23, 2013 at 22:07

Tuesday, Apr 23, 2013 at 22:07
If money isn't an issue go the BFG's.

If dollas are tight look at Hankook RF10's
AnswerID: 509637

Follow Up By: workhorse - Tuesday, Apr 23, 2013 at 22:51

Tuesday, Apr 23, 2013 at 22:51
My only concern with the BFGs and possibly the only real reason Im hesitating is the lower load limit for these tyres.
FollowupID: 787578

Reply By: Mountain Goat - Thursday, Apr 25, 2013 at 19:46

Thursday, Apr 25, 2013 at 19:46
If money isn't an issue initially, then Mickey Thompsons or Coopers are the best. Over the life of the tyre, they usually work out to be cheaper than cheaper tyres that give less kms and worse performance.
No comparison really. Do your research and you will see why they are better.
AnswerID: 509776

Reply By: workhorse - Thursday, Apr 25, 2013 at 20:31

Thursday, Apr 25, 2013 at 20:31
Thanks for the replies.
Im pretty used to the specifics of my vehicle driving it daily around some pretty steep muddy farm tracks, rotten potholed dirt road into town, winding bitumen mountain road and highway. Its been on long highway runs, Fraser Island,northern NSW forests, gravel roads out west. Im fortunate to run several sets of tyres at the same time having 3 sets of rims. This allows me to have a good idea of the small differences in tyres driving them back to back. A newset of tyres will always feel different to a worn set. The tyres Ive run have been BFG AT, Cooper ST, Toyo M55, Maxxis Buckshot, Cooper ST Maxx. None of these tyres were bad. I dont believe in bad tyres, possibly an occassional defect but some tyres are more suited to certain vehicles and certain conditions more than others.I dont have a mind set for or against any brand, that seems limiting. Comments that one brand are rubbish and others perfect dont hold water considering the number of tyres manufactured and the abuse they are subjected to intentionally or not. Im surprised by comments on tyres by those who havent driven on them and havetnt driven my vehicle with them on. An example are the Cooper ST Maxx tyres. I think these are fantastic tyres but not suited for my lighter Courier ute. On this trip, loaded up they would be a good choice but when I return and run around empty they will be too hard walled for me. I had them for a few thousand kms and thats how they rode on my vehicle. A 100 series running around empty at approx 2800kg may ride completely differently.
I was hoping some feedback might be a bit more based on actual experiences mixed with the vehicle type I have not just blanket comments.
In the end I will take mud tyres as Im 80% off road on this trip, love them on the gravel and think some extra grip if it turns to manure out there is sensible. I was hoping some comment might have been made about the specific query about the load rating of the BFG KM2 Vs the others. I have decided if BFG has given them a lower load rating Ill take their advice.
Buying the tyres tomorrow (Maxxis Buckshots) and will let you know how they faired on my return in late July.
Many thanks
AnswerID: 509781

Reply By: Mountain Goat - Thursday, Apr 25, 2013 at 20:53

Thursday, Apr 25, 2013 at 20:53
You asked advice, ignored it, pushed your own opinion and have now bought the cheapest, nastiest tyres of the lot.
I have no doubt, as a lot of my workmates have experienced, the Buckshots will give you half the life of a set of Coopers or MTs, and will most probably let you down when you need them the most. EVERYONE i know who has had MAxxis bighorns and buckshots has vowed to never buy the rubbish tyres again.
Why did you post in the first place anyway?
Good luck to you pal.
AnswerID: 509783

Follow Up By: workhorse - Thursday, Apr 25, 2013 at 21:23

Thursday, Apr 25, 2013 at 21:23
Mountain goat sorry if youre upset and thanks for you hoping I end up in the s@#t on my trip. A strange wish for my journey.
I did ask for feedback and opinions. That doesnt always mean we follow those opnions.So because I dont follow your advice you wish bad luck on me, how civilised. I was looking for something more than the usual 'I had a flat with tyre brand x so they are rubbish' answers and there were many opinions given here that were based on a broader view. Im surprised by the nastiness on this sight by some people. Im not insulting anyone's opnion, lifestyles or their religion and yet so many people wish to be personally nasty to others. But really what is interesting is that so many comments are not scientific. If B follows A then A must have caused B.
Well another episode on this forum of people becoming personally abusive to others, something I dont see on other forums. Maybe this is something that the moderators may wish to look at as the majority of contributors here are looking for some pleasant relaxing exchange of ideas and information whilst having it set in a ligh hearted manner, not some fight.
FollowupID: 787778

Follow Up By: Mountain Goat - Thursday, Apr 25, 2013 at 21:59

Thursday, Apr 25, 2013 at 21:59
Workhorse, I think you are being a little bit precious mate. Grow up.
You asked a question on a forum, and a number of people gave you advice based on their experiences.
You chos eto not only ignore every opinion and advice given, went and bought the cheapest tyres available, and then had the hide to criticize everyone for not giving you specific details you were looking for, without asking for them.
All I can say is if you don't know the difference between a Coopers tyre and a Maxxis tyre, then there is no hope in trying to educate you anyway.
You make me laugh.
FollowupID: 787785

Follow Up By: Mountain Goat - Thursday, Apr 25, 2013 at 22:06

Thursday, Apr 25, 2013 at 22:06
I think the most annoying thing is that you habe wasted everyone's time. Hence the reason i asked why you posted at all.
You can get all upset but i'm sure when your cheap, soft-walled rubbish tyres blow out in the middle of nowhere, you will be more upset. Like i said, EVERYONE i know who has bought Maxxis will never go the stingy option again. They are crap tyres, will split their sidewalls just looking at rocks, and will give you less kms and less value than a decent tyre- so you arent saving a cent buying them in the long run.
You asked our opinions, here is mine again, and since you ignored everyone's efforts, I will say again, good luck to you pal.
I will look forward to hearing how your trip goes.
FollowupID: 787787

Follow Up By: workhorse - Thursday, Apr 25, 2013 at 22:09

Thursday, Apr 25, 2013 at 22:09
Im not going to get into a slanging match with you, but if you had read my posts I have used Coopers, in fact thought the ST s were the best Ive used and I dont have an allegiance with any particular brand. Also the dollars are not a factor as mentioned with the difference being a measly $25/tyre.
Its interesting to see all the other comments were helpful and polite, but as you said you cant educate me.
Happy travels and I hope tomorrow you are some what happier with life.
Ill ask to close this thread as youve dragged it down to a childish level
FollowupID: 787788

Follow Up By: equinox - Friday, Apr 26, 2013 at 22:11

Friday, Apr 26, 2013 at 22:11
My report on Bighorns: HERE

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 787875

Follow Up By: workhorse - Friday, Apr 26, 2013 at 22:25

Friday, Apr 26, 2013 at 22:25
Thanks Alan for your write up. I appreciate your real life experience with them. A set went on today.
FollowupID: 787878

Reply By: Mountain Goat - Thursday, Apr 25, 2013 at 22:16

Thursday, Apr 25, 2013 at 22:16
If you are paying $25 less than Coopers STT, St Maxx or MT ATZ/MTZs for Maxxis Buckshots, then you are getting RIPPED OFF!!
If money is not an option and you have chosen Buckshots over all others, then you have made the most idiotic decision i have ever witnessed.
AnswerID: 509792

Sponsored Links