selling with factory warrantee

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 25, 2013 at 09:57
ThreadID: 101869 Views:1571 Replies:5 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
what value or percentage of value if any would one put on buying a car with factory warranty. i have 1 year or 40000kl left and was considering selling now or in year's time .the adds are full of late model twin cabs so the choices for buyers are endless. also i have an ally tray with under boxes and draw ,it is great for loads and storage but would the tub put back on sell easer. i don't have tub so would need to buy one and good tubs for twin cabs are cheap anyway. i didn't say what vehicle as not to get into a forum on what make is better than another.the vehicle is loaded with the usual 4x4 extras [winch locks lift]that don't seem to add a lot of value.cheers warren
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: nsngood - Thursday, Apr 25, 2013 at 11:48

Thursday, Apr 25, 2013 at 11:48
Any remaining factory warranty will add value when compared to similiar vehicles without it. Having said that, it is hard to judge percentages as exact vehicles ( same/similiar year month build) will have the same warranty.

More importantly is a good service history and general condition of the vehicle.
Any add-ons add value but will depend on what value the purchaser puts on them,if they are looking for a vehicle that "has" to have those bits that are fitted to your vehicle then they are worth more than to someone who doesn't want them but they are a bonus.

As for the tub, if it wasn't originally fitted with one its probably not worth the effort. Technically the vehicle should go back over the pits as it would have a new tare weight, in W.A. at least.

If you have a specific use for the tray on the vehicle then by all means take it off, but if not it probably is not worth the expense or effort.
AnswerID: 509736

Reply By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Thursday, Apr 25, 2013 at 12:35

Thursday, Apr 25, 2013 at 12:35
I didn't think that it was given that warranty was passed on. It all depended on the fine print in the warranty documentation that came with the car when first purchased.

Have a look at the paperwork for when you purchased it.

That documentation should also cover how any modifications affect the warranty status. Just because the mods are legal, does not necessarily mean that they do not have an impact on the warranty.

It can be a can of worms that you are opening.

You can say that it had two or whatever years warranty when you purchased it and that it is only half that age and stop there. But I wouldn't go stating that the buyer gets a warranted vehicle unless it's in the purchase documentation in black and white. This would be called typical car salesmanship. Infer something but state nothing.

This is why we have every booklet, receipt and tiny bit of paper, including hand written notes, in our files.

Phil
AnswerID: 509742

Follow Up By: Member - warren G (VIC) - Thursday, Apr 25, 2013 at 13:08

Thursday, Apr 25, 2013 at 13:08
if the warranty wasn't transferable why would i post if it had no relevance, i do know how to read a contract and did not want to open a can of worms i would not try to deceive a potential buyer however a buyer of any vehicle should do their own research as well. i should have mentioned, one owner full service history i just took it as given that a car still under factory warranty would have correct service or the warranty would be worthless if a claim was sought. cheers warren
FollowupID: 787736

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Thursday, Apr 25, 2013 at 13:18

Thursday, Apr 25, 2013 at 13:18
Thats what I like a nice polite thanks

Where was I in any way condescending, rude or offensive.

Why bother.

FollowupID: 787738

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Thursday, Apr 25, 2013 at 13:33

Thursday, Apr 25, 2013 at 13:33
Over reaction Warren. Apologies

Phil
FollowupID: 787739

Follow Up By: Member - warren G (VIC) - Thursday, Apr 25, 2013 at 21:44

Thursday, Apr 25, 2013 at 21:44
no worries and thanks for reply cheers warren
FollowupID: 787782

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Thursday, Apr 25, 2013 at 22:03

Thursday, Apr 25, 2013 at 22:03
Maybe a few too many with some old mates!!!

Phil
FollowupID: 787786

Reply By: Bazooka - Thursday, Apr 25, 2013 at 13:36

Thursday, Apr 25, 2013 at 13:36
Most new car warranties are transferrable but it's always wise to check if you're buying. It should add considerably to your selling ability and at least a little to the price, especially if the option of extended warranty is available to the new owner.
AnswerID: 509747

Reply By: olcoolone - Thursday, Apr 25, 2013 at 18:54

Thursday, Apr 25, 2013 at 18:54
One other thing is whilst the vehicle is still under warranty the new buyer or yourself can get a factory extended warranty for another 3 years.

That way the new buyer can buy with confidence.
AnswerID: 509768

Follow Up By: Alan S (WA) - Thursday, Apr 25, 2013 at 21:38

Thursday, Apr 25, 2013 at 21:38
I agree, but people should be aware the often the extended warranty has different conditions than the original warranty. For example with Nissan the original fcatory warranty is transferable ant at any time durin this you can buy an extended warranty. Usually the extended warranty is not transferable.

Most of the extended warranties are underwritten, similar to insurance so the terms may be different.

Alan
FollowupID: 787781

Reply By: steved58 - Friday, Apr 26, 2013 at 22:55

Friday, Apr 26, 2013 at 22:55
I like to service my vehicles myself so dislike warrenties having to have to rely on others to service the vehicle or lose the warrenty I feel much happier setting off on a long trip knowing what has and has not been done for sure not hoping the mechanic did do it
But thats just me
Steve
AnswerID: 509871

Sponsored Links