Engel fridge

G'day all, looking at buying an engel fridge for the car. I looked at a couple today and am wondering what the difference is in the plastic and the steel fridges, they are both compressor fridges, the plastic is a 38 litre for $800 and the steel is a 40 litre for $1300. The bloke is the store said the only difference is the outside caseing and the obvious 2 litre storage difference. So if that's true then why is it an extra $500?! Does anyone know any more about this? Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - J&R - Friday, Apr 26, 2013 at 11:08

Friday, Apr 26, 2013 at 11:08
I don't know why the difference but would suggest Engel might.
Have you contacted them?
AnswerID: 509827

Reply By: edwin - Friday, Apr 26, 2013 at 23:35

Friday, Apr 26, 2013 at 23:35
Hi Brendan, had a look at them too, cant really justify the extra $$.
I have a 20 year old engel , looks more like 40 years though, had a very tough life ,it started making a couple of strange noises a few months ago thinking its on its last legs, I started looking around for a newi , Im not sure Ill get another engel, I dont think they are the same quality and value for money. But I did find another quality looking unit that Ill spend my money on, its a 40 litre similar to engel but fully Australian made. its called an evakool ED 40 L, apparently its a new model for them. I would post a link if I new how to, but have a look at australiandirect.com.au under chest style fridge/freezers youll find the Evakool ED 40 L, its $1107 delivered to your door including wireless thermometer, 5 year warranty.Looks pretty impressive.I reckon it would have the best cycle rate of all fridges on the market today due to having the fibreglass/foam insulation and the danfoss 35 compressor. The only problem I have is that my engel doesnt want to roll over. Its thermostat looks quite simple and basic meaning less to go wrong. Id like someone other than 4wd action to to a comparison with this fridge.
its more than $800 but less than the $1300 (plus transit bag) and is Aussie made. Dick Smith would be happy. Have a look and tell us what you think, Id rather buy a quality Aussie product at a good price over an import.
Edwin
AnswerID: 509873

Follow Up By: Member - Laurie K (WA) - Saturday, Apr 27, 2013 at 11:51

Saturday, Apr 27, 2013 at 11:51
I'd suggest ask a repairer or two what is the best to buy, and if they can suggest why you should buy the Metal over the Plastic version.
I asked a repairer in Cairns which of the two popular makes they repaired most of, and it wasn't the Engel. He said they are just more robust, and the casing had a lot to do with that.
Maybe the plastic casing is a much less robust version than the metal one.
I think the fact that there are many very old Engels still working would help me decide.

Cheers
Laurie
FollowupID: 787898

Follow Up By: sugarcanecampers - Tuesday, Apr 30, 2013 at 09:15

Tuesday, Apr 30, 2013 at 09:15
we had a waceo that went for a swim in the Bundy flood, we bought an EvaCool 70L but it didn't work. we loved the idea of two separate compartments and the two separate lids. Looked at the Primus one it has the better motor but not two separate thermostats, Waceo and Engal only does one lid so we have decided to watch the forum to see what others have to say
FollowupID: 788066

Follow Up By: edwin - Tuesday, Apr 30, 2013 at 09:26

Tuesday, Apr 30, 2013 at 09:26
Hi sugarcane, can you please tell us what happened with the evakool 70, did it fail or just not work properly.
Thanks
Edwin
FollowupID: 788068

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Tuesday, Apr 30, 2013 at 09:27

Tuesday, Apr 30, 2013 at 09:27
Two sons got the 60 lt (I think) dual compartment (one lid) 60 ltr Engel. We didn't like the one lid idea either.

For short trips we run an Engel 40 lt. For longer ones we add a 21 lt Engel as a freezer only. Works well but you need the extra room and battery for sure. Only two of us for the long trips.

Phil.
FollowupID: 788069

Reply By: olcoolone - Saturday, Apr 27, 2013 at 12:14

Saturday, Apr 27, 2013 at 12:14
Can't tell you the difference but I would expect the $1300 one to be better.....

But then again both may be identical except for the case as the sales guy said, there is a marketing concept whereby people think when two near identical products are sold and one is more expensive the more expensive one is better..... the other thing is the metal cased one has been around for donkeys years as in this case it was more expensive people will buy it based on previous experience and recommendations.

In other word they make more money from the metal cased one then the plastic case one as they know people prefer the metal cased version so you pay a premium.

I'm sure it would go deeper than that.
AnswerID: 509887

Follow Up By: sugarcane b - Tuesday, Apr 30, 2013 at 17:22

Tuesday, Apr 30, 2013 at 17:22
It Probably Had No Gas Returned It To Tjm
FollowupID: 788101

Reply By: Pushy - Wednesday, May 01, 2013 at 09:33

Wednesday, May 01, 2013 at 09:33
Brendan,

I would ask more questions and check with Engel. I have generally found that the units with a plastic case are described as "coolers" that is they may not be able to freeze.
AnswerID: 510102

Sponsored Links