home made camp oven

Submitted: Saturday, Apr 27, 2013 at 13:54
ThreadID: 101898 Views:5541 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I have recently heard of a home made camp oven using heat beads and a colander. I believe they were or are called a Kelly Kampa Kooka, but when I Google it I don't find anything. I'm trying to find out how to make one. Can anyone help please?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: DirtDevil - Saturday, Apr 27, 2013 at 15:18

Saturday, Apr 27, 2013 at 15:18
Hi Schoee,

Hope one of these sites are of help.

COLANDERCAKERACKCOOKER[url=http://thegreynomads.activeboard.com/t41168538/k-k-k-cooker/]
KKK cooker

Mike
Evil will always triumph when the good do nothing.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 509894

Reply By: Bazooka - Saturday, Apr 27, 2013 at 19:28

Saturday, Apr 27, 2013 at 19:28
Google turned up plenty for me Grant.

www.google.com.au/search?ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=kelly+kampa+kooka
AnswerID: 509908

Reply By: Stretchlizard2 - Saturday, Apr 27, 2013 at 20:01

Saturday, Apr 27, 2013 at 20:01
Hi Grant

I made one.

I had a cut down 9kg gas bottle "choofer" which worked well using heat beads and a cast iron camp oven. Great for weekends or longer away at one spot but heavy to keep in the touring van along with all the other necessary toys.

My needs were:
to have a cooking source that I could use anywhere at any time other than during a total fire ban
Could be used on grass without damage in caravan park
Be a lot lighter than the "choofer"
So something minimalist that holds the heat beads, allows airflow, and will support the camp oven.

As I also have a spun steel bedourie camp oven, as well as my cast oven one, I kept the weight down in the cooking vessel.

I looked around at colanders and found a good, large one at my nearest cooking and cutlery type place made of a good grade of stainless steel for a reasonable price. I got a large perforated trivet to hold the heat beads and allow airflow. I screwed a couple of pieces of square steel tube I had to the base to provide more stability and a gap to the baking tray (I stole from Herself) to catch the ash from the beads.

I have used it with both the cast iron and the spun steel camp ovens and it fulfills the functions of supporting the camp oven, retaining the heat beads and being light to transport. It is not as stable as on coals on the ground, but is more versatile.

I have since read online about people who have used a suitably modified Sunbeam Electric Frypan.

I do not have a photo to show but just ask the people camped near me at Easter at Gloucester for a copy of those that they took.

Lots of things will work, just give them a try.

Cheers Stretchlizard
AnswerID: 509911

Sponsored Links