12 pin plugs

Hi All,

Surely in this day and age, we could get our collective act together and organize a standard as to what order the wiring need to be done in a 12 pin plug, But alas no.

Jayco's have one system Coromals have another and some other brands have another. Its ridiculous.

Cheers Wilko
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Dust-Devil - Saturday, Apr 27, 2013 at 21:23

Saturday, Apr 27, 2013 at 21:23
Well Dude, a 30 sec Google search found this

Caravan Trailer Plug Australian Wiring Standards

You can make up your own mind how you wish to do it

DD
AnswerID: 509915

Follow Up By: Wilko (Parkes NSW) - Saturday, Apr 27, 2013 at 21:45

Saturday, Apr 27, 2013 at 21:45
I'm cool with that, but What comes out of the various factory Dont adhere to that, as I stated, Coromal does it one way, Jayco another others a different way.

Its driving my auto elec crazy and is ridiculous.

FollowupID: 787936

Follow Up By: fisho64 - Sunday, Apr 28, 2013 at 00:29

Sunday, Apr 28, 2013 at 00:29
why not contact them and have a copy of the standards?
FollowupID: 787939

Reply By: KenInPerth - Sunday, Apr 28, 2013 at 08:47

Sunday, Apr 28, 2013 at 08:47
Wilko

Out of curiosity is it pins 8-12 that he is complaining about which do seem to have have more scope for using as you like (Battery, Aux, Earth, rear Fog, Aux)

I would hope they have followed the "standard" for the first 7 pins ??

Ken
AnswerID: 509931

Reply By: Ross M - Sunday, Apr 28, 2013 at 09:51

Sunday, Apr 28, 2013 at 09:51
If you know what the wires in the vehicle socket is providing then it can't be very hard to alter the trailer plug to the same and by powering the trailer wires with a battery or charger to find what gets activated so you can make the correct circuits in line with your plug.

If the C/van maker is suddenly use the "yellow wire for the brakes on the trailer and the blue wire for the side lights, then that will take a bit more interesting and require more sorting out though.

Ross M
AnswerID: 509937

Reply By: Rockape - Sunday, Apr 28, 2013 at 11:41

Sunday, Apr 28, 2013 at 11:41
Wilko,
I had to put a 12 pin on my coromal van as that is what the new Ranger has. I just followed the wiring diagram and everything worked ok.

As you say, there seems to be no standards with anything that has caravan after it. Except for gas and 240 volt wiring. Even thinking how the 240v wiring is run makes me wonder about bushing and clearances.

I think they also have an automatic tare weight reducer. We all know that anything added is on top of the tare but wow, some are out there with what they stamp on the vans. I think you would have to pull the running gear out of some to make tare.
As a recent post said there van had the breathers in the side of the tank stopping the tanks from filling. I have a van from the same manufacturer and the breather is plumbed in correctly. Go figure. No quality control and I would suspect contract work gangs build them.

AnswerID: 509940

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Sunday, Apr 28, 2013 at 14:34

Sunday, Apr 28, 2013 at 14:34
Wilko (Parkes NSW) - Can you be a bit more specific. I suspect they would have to be correct with the first 7 pins. What are they wiring to each of the big pins.

I see one problem that is not catered for in the standard. Pin 8 is for the battery feed and pin 9 for the auxiliaries. A fridge would come under the heading of auxiliaries. Jayco in their wisdom run one wire to both the Setec and the fridge. So do they run that to the battery supply pin or the aux pin?

I see a problem with running the two items through the one pin. If the battery is being charged properly then adding that to the fridge current will overload the 30 - 35 A capacity a the pin. Probably the saving grace in Jayco's circuitry is the diode in the Setec that stops the house battery supplying current to the fridge. The voltage drop in that diode will stop the battery getting full charging current.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 509943

Sponsored Links