4.2 TD Patrol or 4.2 TD Lancruiser???

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 01, 2004 at 23:48
ThreadID: 10193 Views:11352 Replies:7 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I am looking at replacing my vehicle...

I am looking at buying a brand new vehicle but am unsure as to which one to get....

Do i go for the patrol or the landcruiser???

I understand that the cruiser is about $15000 plus more expensive, but i have heard that the patrols have had their issues...

Does anyone know if these issues have been rectified in the latest models of the patrol or am i better off looking at the cruiser???

any honest answers would be greatly appreciated.....
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, Feb 02, 2004 at 00:15

Monday, Feb 02, 2004 at 00:15
The issues with patrols have been 99% the 3.0ltr..

For $15,000 you can fit out the GU...

drive both, there are differences, like where things are, seating etc that may sway you.
AnswerID: 45126

Reply By: Phil P - Monday, Feb 02, 2004 at 03:17

Monday, Feb 02, 2004 at 03:17
Hi,

I have a 3.0L TD Patrol, I'm very happy with my Patrol but if you are really fussy about cars then spend the extra for the Landcruiser. As far as issues are concerned the Patrol has an option available that extends the factory warranty up to 5 years/150,000klm.

This is some of the extra's you get with the LC

Better quality interior - the Patrol fabric is extremely fragile
5 Speed Auto Vs 4 Speed Auto in the Patrol 3.0L
IFS in the LC gives a smoother/quieter ride on the Highway
Factory fitted Cruise Control Vs aftermarket in the Patrol
LC interior appears/feels bigger than the Patrol

Some of the negatives on the LC I found were;
5000Klm Service interval's Vs 10,000 on the Patrol
Spare wheel location is a pain to access when required
depending on your negotiation skills at time of purchase the difference in price can be up to $20,000 more for the LC. I found Nissan are generous with their options (Bullbar,driving lights,snorkel,towbar,rear dust deflector,bonnet & light protectors)

At the time (8 months ago), the deal I got with my optioned up Patrol Vs the optioned up LC was closer to $20,000 cheaper for the Patrol.

Regards
Phil P
AnswerID: 45132

Follow Up By: Leroy - Monday, Feb 02, 2004 at 12:16

Monday, Feb 02, 2004 at 12:16
Hmmm....it's not a 4.2!

Leroy
FollowupID: 307265

Reply By: Member - Raymond - Monday, Feb 02, 2004 at 08:57

Monday, Feb 02, 2004 at 08:57
Hi Landcruiser.
Went through the same dilema 20 months ago when we needed a Ute for the camper. We ended up with the GU ute. The vehicle is slightly more agricultural on the inside than the 100 series, but the engine, gearbox and drive train are bullet proof. Has slightly less power than the landcruiser (we had an 80 series 4,2TD).
The ute cost 43000, compared to the 78 series at 60000 with air. The ride in the GU is great and then change fully fitted out the GU and paid for half the camper.
The GU has done 55000 klms and is just getting run in
Ray
Your only probelm will be changing the mast head with exploroz, but truckster will helpwanderin' in retirement. victor 2010
AnswerID: 45140

Reply By: Roachie - Monday, Feb 02, 2004 at 11:50

Monday, Feb 02, 2004 at 11:50
I've always been a Patrol owner, but I'm realistic enough to acknowledge the Cruiser is a great vehicle too.
From what I know, the Patrol is better suited to being "developed" into being a true and tough off-roader. I've spent over $26K on mine doing it up. Note that there is NO vehicle you can buy which is truly "bush-ready" off the show room floor. The Troopie and Defender maybe the closest.
IMHO if you intend to stick to the bitumen most of the time and money is no issue, the Cruiser will be a more comfortable vehicle (courtesy of it's soft IFS). However, the Patrol has a reputation 2nd to none (in the 4.2TD format) for having a bullet proof drive train. I note that Nissan did try to cut back on the meat on the 5th gear cog and has had to replace a number of these (mine included).
There is no right or wrong truck to buy.....they all have their own individual characteristics which will mean one will suit your needs closer than the others, but be prepared to spend some $$$$ on accessories whichever way you go.
Long live the Beam Axle!!!
Cheers,
Roachie
AnswerID: 45153

Reply By: sean - Monday, Feb 02, 2004 at 20:18

Monday, Feb 02, 2004 at 20:18
It is really a question of horses for courses.

I own a 4.2 patrol (current issue) but have not driven the cruiser.

If you are going to tow a van, then I can say that the 4.2 diesel patrol is down on power and up on fuel usage and so you might be better with the cruiser (or even the 3 litre patrol of which I have also owned and is a fine tow vehicle).

If you are going to do lots of offroad, not tow a big load, then the patrol might be just the ticket.

If you want outright reliability at the expense of power and economy, then the patrol 4.2 is the ticket.

Good luck

Sean
AnswerID: 45212

Reply By: Wil - Monday, Feb 02, 2004 at 21:36

Monday, Feb 02, 2004 at 21:36
Hi Landcruiser

Just look at all the Outback challenges and various club runs..I reckon the Nissan Patrols have earned its SOLID reputation.

If you plan to use it for a few years and trade it in then Cruiser may be the one. But if you are going to turn it into a go anywhere truck over time. Nissan Patrol is the goer..Reckon the all the real 4x4 people are truck lovers and can't be too far wrong. Forget about IFS..

AnswerID: 45220

Reply By: Member - Rick (S.A.) - Monday, Feb 02, 2004 at 22:56

Monday, Feb 02, 2004 at 22:56
Don't forget to factor the depreciation.........

If you get a Patrol it may be 10 K cheaper initially, but watch it drop value in a few short years. The Toyotas really do hold value (if you don't believe, look for a Corolla that is "cheap" relative to purchase price. They don't exist).

I was driven by seating in the rear (kids, don't ya know), value, range, reputation, & got a GU Patrol after a Ford Raider, Landrover series 2 A, Navarra, Suzuki 2 stroke, G 60 Nissan, L'Cruiser tray top, Landrover6 cyl, FJ 40 L'crusier.......They were all the "best" at the time for the job in hand.

As long as you are satisfied, who cares about what i think is best?

So my advice is to write down, and then prioritise, what it is you require. Think about it for a few weeks; ask again here on specific issues Vs generalisations. Then decide. Don't rush - you may have a long time to repent a hasty decision.

CheersRick ( S.A.) - ' All things considered there are only two kinds of men in the world - those who stay at home and those who do not '
AnswerID: 45229

Sponsored Links