Nissan Navara Towbar Recall

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 30, 2013 at 22:09
ThreadID: 101950 Views:4047 Replies:5 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Hi everyone, I recently posted on this forum about my concerns regarding light weight vehicles towing heavy weights ie....3000 to 3500KG in particular vehicles like my 2008 dual cab Navara 4X4 3000kg towball down weight 300KG. I made reference to vehicles like the Colorado & others, wondering if we will ever hear about someone following up on these vehicles capabilities & how the vehicle stood up to the task structurally, I mean over time damage caused to structural components. I wish to report that I have discovered a fault with my Navara earlier this year. There were some cracks in the chassis & as a friend of mine pointed out on viewing the chassis rails & the towbar fitment..."This is a joke"Well I took his advice & did something about it having the ends of the chassis rails welded & bracing plates fitted from the towbar onto the chassis. I also fitted three large bolts into the holes on the towbar that obviously had nothing there. On or about the 12th April 2013 I received a notice stating an Australian recall was in vogue regarding 2005 onward built Navaras. There is a fault with the fitment of these bars which even covered non Nissan authorised parts too. After spending a great deal of money prior to receiving this notice I was a bit "miffed" to say the least. I attended my local Nissan dealer after taking photos of the work I had done. I had a new towbar fitted with bolts & supporting plates from bar onto chassis . I had to hand over the Nissan tow sleeve but was allowed to keep the ball!! I just wonder how many people have had similar problems. Paid for the repair & now have decided to ask Nissan for a refund for fixing up a stuff up through no fault of the owners!!!! I wonder if this is the only point of conjecture with this towing "Mess" from Nissan?. I wonder if there have been accidents,vehicle & or Caravan/trailers damaged due to this accessory failure.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: jonl - Tuesday, Apr 30, 2013 at 23:02

Tuesday, Apr 30, 2013 at 23:02
Hi, I have had a problem with my 2010 STX Navara from towing a 2600 kg caravan when I bent the chassis, the tow ball was about 150 mm lower, Nissan would not talk about warranty.
I had air badges fitted and was on a dirt road when it bent, my insurance said that they have had a lot of these bend.

Very unhappy with Nissan.
AnswerID: 510077

Follow Up By: NTVRX - Wednesday, May 01, 2013 at 11:30

Wednesday, May 01, 2013 at 11:30
Have you received a recall notice? I think a warranty is only as good as when you try to claim it!!! My 2009 Pajero has a 5yr warranty on everything apart from the engine,auto diffs & general mechanicl components which have 10 yrs but all vehicles are covered by the clause..."Abuse of the vehicle.....blah...blah...." which is fair enough I suppose.
FollowupID: 788153

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Wednesday, May 01, 2013 at 12:04

Wednesday, May 01, 2013 at 12:04
jonl, It's not just Nissan chassis that break when you have air-bags and high ball loads. They all do. I suppose you beefed up the rear suspension instead of installing a WDH.

I would suggest you get rid of your air-bags. They impose unnatural stresses on the chassis, that's why they break. Nissan do not warrant their genuine tow bar installation when you use WDH. You will have to change to tow bar if it's a genuine OEM model and you want warranty cover on the bar and installation. Hayman Reese warrant their installations.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 788160

Reply By: Member - mechpete - Tuesday, Apr 30, 2013 at 23:09

Tuesday, Apr 30, 2013 at 23:09
I don,t know what you are on about !! Nissan have issued a recall , legally an morally they have done the right thing , you went ahead an repaired your vehicle ,what happens if your repair fails ? Nissans recall is covered by there R&D an warranty
mechpete
AnswerID: 510078

Follow Up By: NTVRX - Wednesday, May 01, 2013 at 11:33

Wednesday, May 01, 2013 at 11:33
Hi Mechpete, I had the towbar work done PRIOR to the recal notice. The towbar I had repaired was removed (along with the work I had done) a new towbar wih Nissan bracing plates & bolts were attached. So,my repair is no longer there it's all authentic Nissan material now.
FollowupID: 788154

Reply By: BOXHD - Wednesday, May 01, 2013 at 07:20

Wednesday, May 01, 2013 at 07:20
hi .. wht model str.d22 or the d40 Stx ..?? thanks boxhd
AnswerID: 510088

Follow Up By: NTVRX - Wednesday, May 01, 2013 at 11:35

Wednesday, May 01, 2013 at 11:35
Hi BOXHD, My vehicle is a 2008 D 40 spainish made RX dual cab with alloy tray.
FollowupID: 788155

Reply By: Lyn W3 - Wednesday, May 01, 2013 at 07:39

Wednesday, May 01, 2013 at 07:39
Allowing for a 25% safety factor a car with a 3,000kg should never tow more than 2,250kg.
AnswerID: 510089

Follow Up By: Member - Noldi (WA) - Wednesday, May 01, 2013 at 09:20

Wednesday, May 01, 2013 at 09:20
I would have thought the safety factor would be built in i.e. if there saying 3,000kg, then it would have been tested to 3750kg (working on your 25% figure).
FollowupID: 788137

Follow Up By: NTVRX - Wednesday, May 01, 2013 at 11:46

Wednesday, May 01, 2013 at 11:46
Hi Lyn & Noldi, The vehicle has the safety factors surveyed as per the requirements of the engineered product...the vehicle stands as stated in the owners hand book and on information plated on towbar. "Owners are not to exceed the manufacturer's specifications as stated in the owners hand book and identification plates" My vehicle has two I.D. plates warning & stating tow limits. 300kg on towball weight & 3000kg maximum towing capabilities. I contacted Nissan Customer service and was told. 1. "You must comly with what is outlined & stated in the owners h/book & identifying placards" 2. "You cannot tow in excess of the stated limits & yes you can tow less if you wish." I would like to know about the safety factor Lyn is that like an equation for working out a Safe Working Load or just a rule of thumb you have heard somewhere? Are you talking from experience? Do you have an engineering degree or have been advised by same?
FollowupID: 788157

Follow Up By: member - mazcan - Wednesday, May 01, 2013 at 11:49

Wednesday, May 01, 2013 at 11:49
hi noldi
I agree with your opinion in respect to the safety margin
the same applies to say a high tensile snig chain with a rating of 8 tonne that's what it is rated to tow without breaking and is tested well above the 8t margin
if you had to deduct the so called 25% factor it wouldn't be an 8 tonne safe work load in the first place
people on here have got the wrong idea where vehicle towing rates are concerned that are put on individual vehicles
if a vehicle is rated to tow 3000kg then that's what is it legally rated and licenced to tow by the manufacturer and relevant authorities and the towbar supplied should be made to safely comply with that rated figure
the failure rating will be well above the legal level
cheers
FollowupID: 788159

Reply By: MAVERICK(WA) - Saturday, May 04, 2013 at 12:49

Saturday, May 04, 2013 at 12:49
it is a pity that vehicle manufacturers are continually able to promote towing figures that do not reflect what the vehicles limitations are..........and that the person doing the selling is either deliberately misleading or is just plain ignorant of the product they are selling. many years ago when getting a 3000kg boat for my then employer I asked why the 3000kg limit - I was told it would be towed by a L/cruiser as the book said it could tow 3000kg (100Series v8). I recommended that a vehicle similar to an F250 or small 4T truck be purchased as it would be able to tow with much less stress. I was told what my job was and where to go with my recommendation. After an "eventful" towing and launching and retrieval exercise by a number of staff using the Cruiser an F250 was sourced and did the required duty with no problems for a number of years. The point with all this is that even though Ford and Mazda and Toyota and Holden and Isuzu and whoever else say their vehicles can tow 3000kg+ it is not good practice to do this. I shake my head in disbelief when seeing one of these new gen 2.5 or 3L dual cabs with a 5th wheeler hooked up. When seeing them fully loaded with a caravan or even a camper trailer in tow and having no idea of what is meant by GVM or ball weight. When spoken to some have said the salesperson said it's ok and within the limits. I understand Triton and Navara are having trouble with chassis cracks when towing. I also have heard that the Ranger and BT50 and not doing too well with chassis corrosion (though this is from mine use so maybe just a bit of a long bow here.....). It just means that just because the manufacturer says something don't blindly believe. rgds
Slow down and relax......

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 510299

Sponsored Links