BOULIA - ULURU

Gidday all,
My wife, Karen & I are planning a trip to uluru in august & are hoping to go via the Plenty highway. We are driving an 08 patrol & towing a semi off road trailer. Could anyone please advise me on the road conditions and whether this a good idea and also how long we should take.
cheers, Trev.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: escapesilv - Saturday, May 04, 2013 at 20:03

Saturday, May 04, 2013 at 20:03
Hi Trev. H

Predict road conditions for August now in May is a big guess, but it is a Highway so unless it rains close to the date you go, it should be fine.

We did that road in 2005 ( I think) with a softroader and an off road camper, and had no problems.

As to how long it will take you depends how fast you want to go, you can do it in a day, but I suggest you take a break and spend the night half way.

Take your time and look around, its a great road when dry.

Good luck.

Rob

AnswerID: 510322

Reply By: Mick O - Saturday, May 04, 2013 at 23:12

Saturday, May 04, 2013 at 23:12
Trev, same enquiry was made a few days ago. You may pick up some info from that post. Here is the link.

Plenty Hwy Post

Cheers Mick

''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 510337

Reply By: Member - David T5 - Sunday, May 05, 2013 at 14:28

Sunday, May 05, 2013 at 14:28
Hi Trev
We did it last year late June, taveling in a HyundainTerracan towing a Full off road CT, the road was dry as a bone, lots of bull dust, rocky patches and corrogations by the millions.
The car did it without worry, but the trailer suffered a bit of damage mainly from the corrogations, both upper shock mounts broke, stones broke the cable ties holding the brake wiring up which fell down and tore off, stones/rocks also holed the water tank.
And the bottom of the trailer was stripped of paint.
As others will tell you its a Hyway and at time suitable for your average family sedan, but it dosnt take much to make it a horrible road.
Preparation and pre maintenance is the key for car and trailer, let down your tyres a bit and dont rush.
Its an interesting drive and will be 1000k shorter than going to Mt Isa then down to Alice.
Dont forget to stop in at Tobermorey, Gem tree, both good stopovers alongbthe way.
I did a blog last year which may have some usefull info for you, have a look if you like.
We enjoyed the drive and it was worth the minor damage.
Cheers
Dave T
AnswerID: 510366

Reply By: The Bunyip - Tuesday, May 07, 2013 at 16:08

Tuesday, May 07, 2013 at 16:08
I got canned by all & sundry on this site for suggesting the Plenty Highway is boring. We did Boulia to Alice in a day (7am - 5.30pm) & all the hat wearers accused me of speeding & driving dangerously!!!
So it's possible in two days but I'd say three or four if you think that sights along the Plenty Highway are noteworthy (which I obviously don't).
AnswerID: 510519

Sponsored Links