Camping in Kosciuszko NP recommendation sought

Submitted: Sunday, May 05, 2013 at 12:08
ThreadID: 102027 Views:1645 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

Great to be part of this community now.

I'm looking for recommendations from all the ozexplorers on a suitable camping / bush site.

We are a group of 10 in light 4wd's and potentially even a sedan, going to Kosciuszko NP in June for a men only camping trip.

We typically go to Blowering Reservoir near Talbingo. And would like to ask for suggestions on similar locations - ie near river/lake in a bush but more remote / wild.

In other words further away from civilization / main roads. Mountain / hill area is also good. Good views and places of historic significance would be an added bonus.

Is Tom Groggin camping site similar to what we are after?

Thanks in advance ladies and gents.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: graham B9 - Sunday, May 05, 2013 at 16:41

Sunday, May 05, 2013 at 16:41
Hi Tops,
I want to come along already. I make great pizza and know a few good strippers as well.

If you like Blowering Dam then Tom Groggin is also good but I would look at Geehi as well. The sedan is a bit of a worry as if you cross the river there (4WD only) and head another kilometer to the first hut ( no directions needed as you will find it) camping is fantastic. You can also swim in the river there (bit cold). There is a stone hut but I do not think you are allowed to camp in it. Other people might clarify this for you. Lots of walking and kangeroos to check out. More huts further in the bush and over more creek crossings.

Geehi got rated as the best camping spot in Australia by some 4x4 mag. So now everyone knows about it.
AnswerID: 510374

Follow Up By: Member - Terra'Mer - Sunday, May 05, 2013 at 17:23

Sunday, May 05, 2013 at 17:23
You can use the alpine huts but not sleep in them unless it is an emergency. Some huts are owned/leased by clubs and will be locked but last I visited the stone hut you speak of, Keebles Hut, is open and good ground for camping around it. Doctors Hut is just a little further up but may be closed for safety reasons because the stone walls are getting weak. Check with the NP in case they restored it during Summer
Have you seen my marbles?

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 788479

Reply By: Member - Terra'Mer - Sunday, May 05, 2013 at 17:13

Sunday, May 05, 2013 at 17:13
I guess you're limited to places on the roads that are not closed during winter so that rules out a lot of good places.

If Limestone Creek Rd is open it is a good place for isolation. Tantangarra has some good places but the 2wd will not be allowed up there as it is a snow road for 4wd only during winter.

Out on Boboyan Rd you can find some isolated spots but not much water.

Geehi can get very busy, as does Tom Groggin, but not so much in winter because it is cold.

Is water access for the convenience of cooking/cleaning or are you planning on fishing because I think the river and natural lake season is closed in June. But I hear fishing in Lake Jindabyne and Eucumbene is now permitted all year (?) so check access to camping by the lake north of Adaminaby.

The Snowies are beautiful in winter, much more peaceful than any other time of the year if you can stay away from the towns and resorts. Enjoy
Have you seen my marbles?

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 510376

Reply By: Lloyd W1 - Sunday, May 05, 2013 at 20:21

Sunday, May 05, 2013 at 20:21
Another vote for Geehi here, we were there in Feb '08 and it was beautiful and very quiet when we were there.

Camped right next to the river and it was superb. We only had a sedan at the time towing a trailer and had no problems but that was in summer. Trans on the old falcon started to heat up as we towed the trailer all the way to the top but have a trusty Pajero now.

Enjoy, it's a beautiful part of Oz.

Lloyd
AnswerID: 510389

Reply By: Tops - Wednesday, May 08, 2013 at 00:34

Wednesday, May 08, 2013 at 00:34
Thanks guys. Much appreciated! Pizza sounds great.
Any thoughts on Bluewaterholes or Poplars? How is the access there? Fishing would be a big advantage yes.
AnswerID: 510554

Follow Up By: RedCherokee - Thursday, May 09, 2013 at 21:52

Thursday, May 09, 2013 at 21:52
Check out Three Mile Dam, near Mt Selwyn. In Summer it is free, but as you will be after the opening of the ski season, you will need to check if the Dam is still open and the park entry gate working (fees).

Hope you are all used to cold weather!!
FollowupID: 788807

Sponsored Links