Off Road Caravans

Submitted: Monday, May 06, 2013 at 11:58
ThreadID: 102051 Views:6618 Replies:9 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
We are looking to maybe upgrade to an off road caravan from our camper trailer. By off road I mean one capable of going on roads such as the Plenty, Tanami, Gibb, Birdsville, Oodnaddatta.

We are looking for a pop top with preferably an outside kitchen. We have seen the Australian Off Road Camper - the Quantum and like that design.

Does any fellow traveler know of any other similar vehicle so we can compare.
We tow with an Isuzu D-Max which has a rating of 3000kg. Would prefer the van to be no more than about 15 or 16 feet.

Any ideas? Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Rosco from way back - Monday, May 06, 2013 at 12:25

Monday, May 06, 2013 at 12:25
G'day

If you are talking caravans along the lines of Jayco et al. I am not convinced any of them would stand up well to any form of sustained corrugations.

For that I believe you would be better served looking at Conqueror, Kimberley or Ultimate etc, however perhaps they won't tick all the boxes in your list.

One thing's for sure ... they're all bloody expensive.
AnswerID: 510443

Reply By: braggy - Monday, May 06, 2013 at 12:44

Monday, May 06, 2013 at 12:44
Millard "crossover", is a new released off roader 15'6",poptop,aluminium frame toilet/shower,cruisemaster sus.
not on web site yet but saw one at a dealer, just over $50k base model

Complete Campsite is another fairly goodie but $ 78k

Cheers Ken
AnswerID: 510445

Follow Up By: Member - johnny woofl - Monday, May 06, 2013 at 21:05

Monday, May 06, 2013 at 21:05
We have a Millard Pinnicle and done the Birdsville ,Strezleki(new and old),Plenty,part Oodnadatta, and will add Tanami and Central Highway before Xmas. No real troubles so the off road version will be a piece of cake .
FollowupID: 788548

Reply By: A J - Monday, May 06, 2013 at 12:48

Monday, May 06, 2013 at 12:48
D&G SA - When we travelled last year in SA the wind was a big problem with our outside stove making boiling water a long drawn out task.

If I was buying again I would look for a Trakmaster Sturt or Gibson which is an excellent product and carry a burner that could be set up outside when required. Trakmaster keep their resale value very well.

A J
AnswerID: 510447

Reply By: Member - ROADKING - Monday, May 06, 2013 at 13:01

Monday, May 06, 2013 at 13:01
Hi D&G,
We had the same dilema as you a couple of years ago and after lots of research and talking to other owners we settled on the Australian Offroad Quantum and have been more than happy with the camper. They are expensive but in camper trailers you get exactly what you pay for.
Previously we owned an Adventure Pilbara which was also great but we eventually got tired of packing up wet canvas and the wife wanted a shower and toilet and the quantum ticked all the boxes.
They have a very active owners forum and they take notice what people say and have added extras and modified things accordingly, as well as doing extensive product testing themselves they have just returned from a big lap around with the new Matrix offroad caravan.
In my opinion you could not go wrong but i'm sure there are others with equally good suggestions
Regards
Jim
AnswerID: 510450

Follow Up By: tg123 - Tuesday, May 07, 2013 at 10:48

Tuesday, May 07, 2013 at 10:48
Also used to have an Adventure Grand Tourer but got sick of canvas etc etc - purchased an AOR Quantum and couldn't be happier! Expensive? Yes, but it's worth it and resale should be excellent when we eventually decide to quit it. Outside kitchen can be a PITA in inclement weather but on the majority of days when it's nice outside it's fantastic. We have a single burner canister style cooker which we use to boil the kettle if too windy outside at a lunch stop. D&G, I'm in SA so if you'd like to chew my ear a bit just PM me.
Cheers
TG
FollowupID: 788583

Reply By: VistaMax - Monday, May 06, 2013 at 16:50

Monday, May 06, 2013 at 16:50
One other to look at is the VistaRV Crossover, XL model. They have a very good web site.
We can recommend them highly. We had the earlier version for 3 years and upgraded to the XL just three weeks ago.Well worth it, though it is only 1 foot longer, but with a lot of other improvements as well.
It will do all the roads you mentioned with ease and dust free comfort. It is a genuine off road outfit, hand made and with good quality control.
Have a look. And good luck with your choice.
Max
AnswerID: 510464

Reply By: Kyle H - Monday, May 06, 2013 at 18:35

Monday, May 06, 2013 at 18:35
I reckon these are about the best thing going on the market at the minute
http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=matrix%20caravans&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&sqi=2&ved=0CDMQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.australianoffroad.com.au%2Fmodels%2FMatrix%2Fhighlights_Matrix&ei=U2qHUfL5O-KriAfz94CwCA&usg=AFQjCNERO9Jvmtd6wTNnplFEVpT_uMlFGg
AnswerID: 510472

Follow Up By: Mark T6 - Tuesday, May 07, 2013 at 11:19

Tuesday, May 07, 2013 at 11:19
Any idea on the cost of those Kyle??
FollowupID: 788585

Reply By: Mark T6 - Tuesday, May 07, 2013 at 16:02

Tuesday, May 07, 2013 at 16:02
The answer (to my own question)...is plus $90K....I am sure its a great van BUT out of my league I am afraid
AnswerID: 510518

Reply By: Ajay and Fletch - Wednesday, May 29, 2013 at 22:17

Wednesday, May 29, 2013 at 22:17
G'day D&G, if you want to be certain of getting the best and most capable fully off road van I suggest that you visit the factory of the prospective manufacturer. My wife and I have just completed such an exercise and my research suggested only 2 manufacturers met the criteria upon which I had decided, Kedron and Bushtracker.

Once at this point we arranged to visit the respective factories over the same day. As we reside in Vic. and the factories are in Brisbane (Kedron) and Kunda Park (Bushtracker). We made an adventure of the information gathering and stayed on the Sunshine Coast for a week. A good option as July in Victoria is, well, bloody cold and usually bloody wet.

Those of you who may have been to these factories will have made up their own minds about the merits of the 2 manufacturers but we quickly decided upon the Bushtracker and we think it is a good choice. For example, a few weeks ago the caravan and camping show at Caulfield was held and Bushtracker had a display so naturally we visited the stand. During my conversation with the staff I mentioned that I would have liked a 240v power outlet on my side of the be as well as the one on the side of my wife (a standard fitting now I believe). The young man suggested that when we are next in the area to have one retrofitted. I responded such that I thought, "Yes, that's a good idea. But won't that be expensive?"

The young man said something along the lines of, "No, this is easy. We know where all of the wires go on each van because we take photos for our records."

Let me ask you, what other manufacturer does such a thing?

Have a look at the 14' pop top made by Bushtracker. It would have to be the most complete pop top van on the market. IMHO.

Regards ... Ajay and Fletch.
Ajay & Fletch with BT in tow.

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 512130

Reply By: Member - D&G SA - Thursday, May 30, 2013 at 09:18

Thursday, May 30, 2013 at 09:18
Many thanks to all the replies. I think we are now settled on a choice of 3 Quantum, Bushtracker and Kedron
AnswerID: 512145

Sponsored Links