Redarc Electric Brakes

Submitted: Monday, May 06, 2013 at 23:04
ThreadID: 102065 Views:4741 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all I have just installed Redarc brake controller,im getting 4.8 volts constantly and 10.3 volts when the brake is applied is this normal?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Tuesday, May 07, 2013 at 00:16

Tuesday, May 07, 2013 at 00:16
Hi Duds, we can't read your mind. Where are you measuring those voltages?
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 510488

Follow Up By: Duds13 - Tuesday, May 07, 2013 at 00:20

Tuesday, May 07, 2013 at 00:20
Sorry Peter I realised after I posted, the volt readings I took was from the trailer plug at the rear of my nissan patrol
FollowupID: 788567

Reply By: KenInPerth - Tuesday, May 07, 2013 at 00:42

Tuesday, May 07, 2013 at 00:42
Like many of these issues there is no one easy answer but I will offer the following as a starting point.

I assume you are talking about the voltage on the Blue wire - and also assume you are measuring this with everything connected up and 4.8V is with brakes off and 10.3V with brakes on.

According to the installation instructions for the EB controller with the blue wire connected to a filament globe only (in a test condition) you should see from 0 to about 95% of battery voltage with brakes applied and rotating the knob from min to max. And then you should see similar when connected up to the brakes.

While it does not say anything about brakes off, I would expect it to be 0V in this condition also.

I would suggest you need to go back a few steps, check your wiring is correct, check the RED wire has 0V brakes off and battery voltage brakes on, and then test the blue wire voltage while only connected to a globe as per the installation instructions. At least then you will split the problem in half.

If this testing appears to be OK, and the problem is when you are connected up, then that changes the game.

AnswerID: 510489

Reply By: darren a1 - Tuesday, May 07, 2013 at 01:26

Tuesday, May 07, 2013 at 01:26
Hi Duds check out link to red arc site on the out put I had the same issue
http://www.redarc.com.au/handy-hints/-/4-5v_output_on_eb_ebrh_or_ebtm/
AnswerID: 510490

Follow Up By: KenInPerth - Tuesday, May 07, 2013 at 08:19

Tuesday, May 07, 2013 at 08:19
As per Allans response, that link from Darren (text below) is in fact talking about a "no load" condition and a "phantom" voltage as Allan said. You may be good to go as is but always good to do the light bulb test to be sure.

Question

When I measure the output voltage from EB, EBRH or EBTM on the trailer socket brake pin, with the trailer not plugged in, I read 4-5V. Is this OK?

Answer

Yes, this is OK. The EB brake controllers have a trailer brake circuit detection LED. (When you plug in the trailer, the green LED should light).

If this pin is measured with no trailer plugged in, you will see the trailer brake detection voltage from the LED on the EB. This voltage should only be seen if a trailer is not plugged in or if the trailer brakes are open circuit.

This can be checked by connecting a 5W test lamp to the pin while measuring the voltage. This should result in the meter showing 0V and the green LED on the EB should light.

A metering voltage may also bee seen on other circuits if the vehicle has trailer lamp fail detection. Likewise, these voltages should only be seen if a trailer is not plugged in or if the trailer lighting circuit is open circuit.
FollowupID: 788575

Reply By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Tuesday, May 07, 2013 at 07:27

Tuesday, May 07, 2013 at 07:27
Duds, I suspect that you may be reading the voltage at the plug without the trailer/caravan plugged in. If so then you may well read some voltage on the pin with the brakes "off". It is just "phantom" voltage with no power behind it and will drop to zero with the plug in. Your multimeter presents no load to the circuit and thus shows some false reading.
Try following KenInPerth's instructions with a filament lamp (or the brakes) connected as above.
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 510494

Follow Up By: Duds13 - Tuesday, May 07, 2013 at 09:27

Tuesday, May 07, 2013 at 09:27
Thanks guys for all of your advise, yes I am testing the trailer plug with nothing plugged in on pin 5 ( blue wire). I will do the tests as suggested just to make sure. You all have been a great help to a rookie thanks again
FollowupID: 788582

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Wednesday, May 08, 2013 at 08:48

Wednesday, May 08, 2013 at 08:48
Allans on the money, multimeter can be misleading at time, especially with phantom/stray voltage.

If in doubt give RedArc a call...... Phone: (08) 8322 4848
FollowupID: 788638

Sponsored Links