Just been told not to deflate???

Submitted: Monday, Feb 02, 2004 at 14:59
ThreadID: 10207 Views:2149 Replies:7 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I've just been told to not let my tyres down on the Mundering powerline trek, W.A?
To my understanding and from info from this site the trek has sand, mud, Ruts and rocky terrain!

The reason for not deflating was to prevent tyre damage or punchers?

Is this rubbish or does it hold some reasoning?

Thanks for any feedback!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Leroy - Monday, Feb 02, 2004 at 15:09

Monday, Feb 02, 2004 at 15:09
'The reason for not deflating was to prevent tyre damage or punchers?'

that's the reason for deflating your tyres...

You get a larger footprint when you let your tyres down which helps you in sand and mud. When your tyres have been deflated they also 'form' over rocks etc to help the tyre not be punctured buy the rocks. If the tyres were at a high presure the rocks could prick the tyre like a balloon!

Who gave the good advice?

Leroy
AnswerID: 45174

Reply By: Member - Peter (York) - Monday, Feb 02, 2004 at 15:14

Monday, Feb 02, 2004 at 15:14
I have done this track a number of times and have not needed to let the tyres down I have run them at 40psi same as on the road , the track is not rough enough to warrent letting them down if it is dry , if I was doing it in the wet I would look at reducing them to around 30psi if I found it getting slipery and traction was lost I would go down further,most of the rocks on this track are not sharp enough to puncture side walls so the only answer is it depends on the track and conditions at the time .Others may disagree but this is the rule of thumb we work to99 GU Patrol 4.2 TD
Peter York 4x4
Whiskey 4501
AnswerID: 45177

Reply By: Boeing - Monday, Feb 02, 2004 at 15:33

Monday, Feb 02, 2004 at 15:33
The other point to consider is what damage is being done to the track when the tyres have not been deflated which is more of a concern in wet conditions. Who gave you the advice?
There is a bit of everything on the power line track so to give a blanket opinion would be difficult.

Cheers

Mark
AnswerID: 45178

Follow Up By: Synergist - Monday, Feb 02, 2004 at 15:50

Monday, Feb 02, 2004 at 15:50
The advice came from the 4wdrive encounter web site, they have advice on that trek and thats where to tyre deflating came into it.

Im not trying to bag them, i just wanted a second opinion so i thought id see what you guys had done on that trek.

Cheers!
FollowupID: 307274

Reply By: ross - Monday, Feb 02, 2004 at 15:42

Monday, Feb 02, 2004 at 15:42
Ive only done a small section of the track but I could not see any reason to deflate.
It is full of lumps of gravel the size of footballs but you can easily pick your way through them.I dont see how you could damage the trail as it is 20m wide and has already been eroded seriously by the weather and acts as a firebreak due to the lack of vegetation
.I strongly believe in adjusting your pressure to suit the terrain but this is one time they are ok as they are.This trail needs the correct speed to negotiate the gravel lumps nothing else.
AnswerID: 45181

Reply By: Mark - Monday, Feb 02, 2004 at 16:34

Monday, Feb 02, 2004 at 16:34
Good to see those who have done the track agree that tyre pressures do not need to be lowered (under normal circumstances). The advise on that particular trip is of a general nature and further advise is on the "4WDriving Techniques" page of that website.

But bear in mind this website has not been updated for several years and the relevance of advise and warnings on these trips is probably very outdated. Such general advise is meant as a guide for those who do not have the experience to know where to start. The current conditions of this and any other track should be taken into account - and that can change by the hour!

That particualr trip was researched in 1997 and there has been a lot of changes in the last 7 years. Being the co-author of this site, it has been in hibernation for many years now, basically from just after I first became a Dad (twice over now) It has been left on the web as we still get heaps of hits, but it is quite outdated in many areas.

As I'm sure David and Michelle would agree, any half-decent website takes a huge amount of work, it's something that cannot be done on a hobby basis - as that site was. Besides, with such great sites as this with their interactive forums, there is little call for the old school 4WDencounter type website.

If people believe that the 4WDencounter site is too outdated and needs to be removed, here is your chance to have your say!!!

Cheers

Mark
AnswerID: 45185

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 02:37

Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 02:37
Hi Mark,
Only just read the post, and was about to reply to the effect that you have - ie to clarify that the site hasn't been updated for years. Glad you had the chance to make your own reply. Thank you.Regards Michelle,
Spread the word - ExplorOz.com
FollowupID: 307345

Reply By: Member - Peter (York) - Monday, Feb 02, 2004 at 18:19

Monday, Feb 02, 2004 at 18:19
The last time I did the track was late last year with Eureka 4wd training we had plenty of rain that day but Ray did not see that deflation was required and as normal he was spot on .I must say that this track is getting worse each time I do it so I would say the novice BEWARE and go with someone that has a bit of know how ,there are a couple of side tracks to get you around the realy bad sections and DONT go full tilt into the large water hole at the top end of the track untill you test the depth it has a fairly good hole reight in the middle99 GU Patrol 4.2 TD
Peter York 4x4
Whiskey 4501
AnswerID: 45195

Follow Up By: Member - Errol (York WA) - Monday, Feb 02, 2004 at 19:14

Monday, Feb 02, 2004 at 19:14
Sorry Peter , we did it again after the one with eureka . Remember the fun we had unboging the young couple ?Why go overseas when you can ExplorOz
ERROL
FollowupID: 307300

Reply By: Martyn (WA) - Monday, Feb 02, 2004 at 22:33

Monday, Feb 02, 2004 at 22:33
Synergist,
I did the powerline run a few months ago, I didn't deflate the tyres that much I went down to about 28 psi from 38 psi, gives a bit more comfort, as mentioned above it allows the tyres to form over the sharp edges, a larger footprint does open you up to a larger track which can catch sharp sticks and twigs you would of otherwie missed. Also the larger footprint reduces the point loading on the track, in turn assisting to protect the environment. Our club rule is to lower the pressures, this is an environmental rule rather than a grip and comfort rule. Keep the shiny side up
AnswerID: 45227

Sponsored Links