Brisbane to Uluru and back

Submitted: Tuesday, May 07, 2013 at 19:42
ThreadID: 102078 Views:2449 Replies:2 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
I'm thinking about a road trip from brisbane to Uluru through QLD, and taking the SA route back. I'm hoping to do it in 3-4 weeks as dates are flexible and I would like to sight see if I feel like it. There will be two drivers, no night time driving, and we will be going in July. I have a Holden Cruze Wagon, mechanically sound and does about 600 or 700 on a full tank. I'm wondering if it will survive or if I'm better off renting a camping van? Any tips for the type of car needed and good spots to see either route?
Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mick O - Tuesday, May 07, 2013 at 21:12

Tuesday, May 07, 2013 at 21:12
Hi BB, it may help with responses if you could flesh out your intended route for us. Are you going across from Boulia on the Plenty for example? Which SA route would that be...Oodnadatta, Strzlecki and out the tourist route?

Mechanically sound depends on what type of roads you will be taking and the conditions you can expect to encounter so advice will be dependant on the route you intend taking.

Look forward to seeing a bit more.

Cheers Mick

Channel country and the Plenty-Donohue

''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 510541

Follow Up By: blueberry - Tuesday, May 07, 2013 at 21:22

Tuesday, May 07, 2013 at 21:22
Cool thanks mick, have no idea what route to take, just google mapped it and it gave me those two options. I think I'll be taking whatever route will be easiest on the car and provide the best sights which is why im open to suggestions of what to see as time isnt really of concern. Any recommendations thus far on which way is best?
Cheers
FollowupID: 788618

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Tuesday, May 07, 2013 at 22:11

Tuesday, May 07, 2013 at 22:11
Hi Blueberry,
This recent thread here might help a bit.

Cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 788623

Follow Up By: blueberry - Tuesday, May 07, 2013 at 23:00

Tuesday, May 07, 2013 at 23:00
Wonderful, thank you Val, definitely some useful information on that thread.
Clare
FollowupID: 788627

Reply By: Member - bill f (QLD) - Wednesday, May 08, 2013 at 00:17

Wednesday, May 08, 2013 at 00:17
Hi, Whole trip can be done without leaving the bitumen: Brisbane,R'ton,Longreach, Winton, Mt Isa, Threeways, Tennant Ck, Alice Springs, Erldunda, Port Augusta, then any way back to Brissy from there. Plenty to see at all these places but not the challenges there are by taking the back roads i.e. Plenty highway to Alice. Depends on what you think your vehicle is up to. SAid route has regular roadhouses & plenty of traffic so there is not the challenge of other ways. All depends on you. Bill
AnswerID: 510552

Follow Up By: blueberry - Wednesday, May 08, 2013 at 20:57

Wednesday, May 08, 2013 at 20:57
Good to know, thanks bill. I'm also wondering if its madness to camp out in the middle of winter or if a van is the better option. Not sure how expensive and how frequent caravan parks or motels are in those parts but thought there's be plenty of campsites, and backpackers in the bigger towns. Anyone clued into that aspect? Van seems good and itll be warmer but probably the same price as a cheap room with a shower!
FollowupID: 788716

Follow Up By: Member - eighty matey - Friday, May 10, 2013 at 22:27

Friday, May 10, 2013 at 22:27
I prefer camping in Winter, especially if I have a spot out of the wind and a good old gidgee fire (and the missus likes to cuddle up to me more in Winter).

The thing to consider if you're camping is the stuff you have to carry - tent, bedding, cooking gear, etc. and the weight of it compared to the load your vehicle can carry.

When you consider towing, you have increased fuel consumption and what van the Cruse can legally tow.

It's quite feasible to stay in accommodation for the whole trip but it would pay to do some research. There are Motels, Pubs and caravan parks - all of varying quality and price. This can be a way to meet some interesting characters and you don't have to carry so much gear, just your bags and a bit more.

I would suggest you consider trying to fit a fridge in the back. I have found these invaluable and a second hand Engel on Ebay can be bought for about $350 (sell it when you get back).

Take some water - 20 litre minimum , a basic tool kit and a few spares, not much but ask your mechanic what he would take without being ridiculous.

I hope that helps a bit.

Steve
FollowupID: 788874

Follow Up By: blueberry - Friday, May 10, 2013 at 23:50

Friday, May 10, 2013 at 23:50
Thanks Steve, some great tips. If I go with the camping idea I won't be taking much, my car wouldn't last. But the fridge idea is excellent for a van. Still have some time to look into Accomodation, have to decide which route to take first. I do like the idea of winging it a bit and seeing what interesting places there are to stay along the way.
Cheers
Clare
FollowupID: 788882

Sponsored Links