Warranty

Submitted: Tuesday, May 07, 2013 at 19:44
ThreadID: 102079 Views:2851 Replies:9 FollowUps:15
This Thread has been Archived
A question: Why is it? My van cost $65000 and came with 12 mths warranty and my dualcab 4x4 cost $45000 and has a 3 yr warranty.
Will the van manufacturers ever stand behind their product and give a decent warranty?
I note there are a couple of van manufacturers - Sunland and Aussie Wide come to mind that have a warranty of several years.
Furthermore, some of the poorly manufactured vans may not get enough use in that first 12 mths for defects to surface.
Fortunately I have no problems with either van or ute. But I think if I was updating my van in the next 5-10 yrs, I would seriously look at a van manufacturer who stood behind their product with a 3-5 year warranty.
Thoughts or experiences anyone?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Derek Jones - Tuesday, May 07, 2013 at 19:47

Tuesday, May 07, 2013 at 19:47
Warranty period will be a big factor when we select our van for the very reasons you allude to.
AnswerID: 510530

Reply By: Wayne J - Tuesday, May 07, 2013 at 20:03

Tuesday, May 07, 2013 at 20:03
Hi Ian
I have owned a Sunland van and have spoken with others that had one and we would not buy another. Read into that what you like. Warranty times mean nothing if there not honoured or build quality not there.
Regards Wayne
AnswerID: 510534

Follow Up By: Member - John and Lynne - Thursday, May 09, 2013 at 09:27

Thursday, May 09, 2013 at 09:27
We have owned a Sunland van for nearly three years and have received excellent service including having work organised when we were a long way from Queensland - it was organised by Sunland and the bill went straight to Sunland with no hassles. What ever van you buy you are likely to have a few problems in an imperfect world. Whether or not a warranty means anything depends more on the people involved and their attitude to their reputation than any wording on a warranty. Lynne
FollowupID: 788746

Follow Up By: Wayne J - Thursday, May 09, 2013 at 21:07

Thursday, May 09, 2013 at 21:07
Lynne glad to hear your Sunland van lives up to your expectations. My attitude had no bearing on the problems with my van or the other unhappy owners of said van but what would I know I just owned one for 4 years.
Good luck with yours.....
FollowupID: 788802

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Tuesday, May 07, 2013 at 20:06

Tuesday, May 07, 2013 at 20:06
Ian, The length of warranty offered by the manufacturer means nothing. You have consumer rights all over Australia that came into effect on 1st January 2011. You can get a 12 months warranty for a $12 kettle from K mart so a $65,000 van will be considerably more. So if you believe your van or TV or anything should have lasted longer than the 12 months warranty, say for $65,000, maybe 5 years, then that's your warranty. An example that the Australian Consumer Law uses is a $6000 TV lasts only 2 years where the consumer who bought it , expects it to last much longer. Fair trading in all states will back you up and NSW Fair Trading have a 87 % rate of having items repaired , replaced or refunded. All of which Fair Trading say were reasonable cases and expectations. The warranty is with the supplier not the manufacturer. So the retailer you bought from is responsible to fix, replace or refund and it is their responsibility to claim from the manufacturer to recover their losses. If you persist and don't take no for an answer, you will always get action. Relax and enjoy your van and if something goes wrong in the next 5 years or so, you are covered. regards Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 510536

Follow Up By: Member - iijmartin - Tuesday, May 07, 2013 at 20:21

Tuesday, May 07, 2013 at 20:21
Michael, many thanks for bringing that info to my attention. NSW Fair Trading must be a tiger with real teeth!
Thanks mate
FollowupID: 788613

Follow Up By: Member - bbuzz (NSW) - Tuesday, May 07, 2013 at 20:27

Tuesday, May 07, 2013 at 20:27
The other anomaly is if you buy a second hand car, the balance of the new car warranty goes with it.
Buy a caravan and the manufacturer doesn't want to know you because you didn't buy it new.
I tried Fair Trading in Victoria and they didn't want to know me either. I did have success in NSW with the Consumer mob (can't recall their name), not NSW Fair Trading.
NSW Fair Trading couldn't help because most of the car manufacturers do not reply to an inquiry and they cannot force them to. Fair Trading negotiate a settlement IF they come to the table.
This other Consumer mob compel them to come to the table and if they don't, a determination is made which is legally binding.

They are the ACCC - Australian Competition and Consumer Commission.

BUT, you have to jump through hoops to get what you are legally entitled to and you shouldn't have to do that!

bill
Bill B

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 788614

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Tuesday, May 07, 2013 at 20:41

Tuesday, May 07, 2013 at 20:41
Being persistent is the key. Read what you can from the ACCC regarding warranties and you can speak to a real person at Fair Trading. Stating your consumer rights to the retailer is the first step to getting somewhere. Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

FollowupID: 788616

Follow Up By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Wednesday, May 08, 2013 at 14:37

Wednesday, May 08, 2013 at 14:37
I've read the new law/regs a few times too and the 'sentiments' expressed are all very nice, but does it work out in the real world ? For starters, if we think a manufacturer's offered warranty period stinks, why did we buy the product ? But moving past that moral obstacle, when we want to claim after the manufacturer's warranty expires, WHO says what is a reasonable period ? What we believe as consumers is not in fact what the warranty period is. More like, if contested, the umpire will decide (only after you have personally exhausted direct negotiations with the manufacturer) and then you still have to rely on a fair minded manufacturer to get satisfaction. Surely the best protection is to get the right warranty before purchase.
FollowupID: 788664

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Wednesday, May 08, 2013 at 18:01

Wednesday, May 08, 2013 at 18:01
Darian, If you looked for a good warranty, you wouldn't be buying much! Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

FollowupID: 788681

Reply By: Skulldug - Tuesday, May 07, 2013 at 20:55

Tuesday, May 07, 2013 at 20:55
Ian,

I totally agree with your sentiment but not your target.

I like, you have a Crusader caravan. It has a 12 month warranty and so far the customer service from the dealer (Cameron SA) and warranty have been perfect.

I also purchased a new Toyota with extended (5 year) warranty. In the first week, and less than 1,000km it died (fuel starvation) and left me in a life threatening situation. Mr Toyota went into denial, blaming the fuel supplier, me and the the RAA. Its lucky my dog wasn't in the car at the time or they would have blamed him too.

After sticking up for my consumer rights legally, they replaced my car with a new one. So the 5 year warranty means nothing unless you are willing, and can afford to challenge it when something goes wrong.

Give me an Australian made Crusader caravan with a 12 month warranty over a Toyota with a five year warranty any time.

Skull
AnswerID: 510540

Follow Up By: Member - iijmartin - Tuesday, May 07, 2013 at 22:04

Tuesday, May 07, 2013 at 22:04
Skull thanks for your story.
Great to see that you stuck it in to Mr Toyota. And with a vehicle so young, I am sure that everyone would want a replacement.
I started this post because I have spoken to heaps of people who have had warranty and or insurance woes.
Hope the new vehicle is problem free.
Cheers
FollowupID: 788622

Follow Up By: Member - Bruce and Di T (SA) - Wednesday, May 08, 2013 at 11:24

Wednesday, May 08, 2013 at 11:24
We have a Crusader X-Country and we discovered we had a problem with it within the first 4 months. The dealer, same one as Ian and Kathleen, along with Crusader were excellent in solving it. Luckily we could leave the van with them for an extended time as we were going overseas. When we returned we were shown the fault and then all was fixed. We asked for the warrenty to be extended and we were given another 7 months.

All in all we thought that was excellent service. It was very, very much better than the service we received from a well known WA manufacturer and their agent.

Di
FollowupID: 788659

Reply By: graham B9 - Wednesday, May 08, 2013 at 07:01

Wednesday, May 08, 2013 at 07:01
It should ne noted that Aussiewide is not run by the same person that started it several years ago. Years ago it was true that if you had a problem the owner of the company would personaly see that it was fixed as he REALLY stood behind his product. Not certain this is correct in 2013. Used to work for him.
AnswerID: 510557

Follow Up By: Racey - Wednesday, May 08, 2013 at 09:57

Wednesday, May 08, 2013 at 09:57
Couldn't disagree more with that statement. A friend of mind bought one from the original owner was stuffed around no end with the construction, not building what was specified. When that was finally resolved there were ongoing issues with the air-conditioner not working plus a few other things. The main issue was the attitude of the man in charge. I believe this has changed with the new owner.
FollowupID: 788649

Follow Up By: graham B9 - Wednesday, May 08, 2013 at 20:18

Wednesday, May 08, 2013 at 20:18
Racey I am sorry to hear that this happened to your friend. I know there were some problems near the end there.
FollowupID: 788710

Reply By: baz&pud (tassie) - Wednesday, May 08, 2013 at 07:02

Wednesday, May 08, 2013 at 07:02
The other thing you have to look at is that the manufacturer builds the van, but every thing that goes into it, stove, fridge etc is supplied buy subcontractors, and they are the ones that have a 12 month warranty.
So if anything goes wrong with the awning for example, you go back to ,say, Dometic because they supplied it.
Cheers.
Baz
Go caravaning, life is so much shorter than death.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 510558

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Wednesday, May 08, 2013 at 08:42

Wednesday, May 08, 2013 at 08:42
Wrong Baz, the caravan manufacture has supplied you the goods as part of a package when you bought the van, he is just as responsible as the component manufacture and has an obligation under law to act lawfully in a case of a complaint.

Could you imagine if you bought a quality brand name LED TV and it failed....... you would go back to the retailer and they would say "it's not our problem , see the TV manufacturer"...... you go and see the TV manufacture and they say "the component that failed isn't made by us so you will have to go back to the component manufacture in China"..... the component manufacture says "we outsource the manufacturing process and you will have to speak to the chip manufacture".

Sure you can is some cases go back to the importer/manufacturer for a claim but most will direct you back to the retailer.

FollowupID: 788637

Follow Up By: baz&pud (tassie) - Wednesday, May 08, 2013 at 15:04

Wednesday, May 08, 2013 at 15:04
That's an osocool example, and I go along with you, but we are talking caravans, not the home tv.
We purchased a new van which had a faulty awning, contacted the manufacturer, and was told to go direct to Dometic, which we did, also same with a malfunction with the diesel heater, we had no problems with either settlement.
Hence the reason I made the above statement.

Baz
Go caravaning, life is so much shorter than death.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 788665

Follow Up By: Member - Laurie K (WA) - Wednesday, May 08, 2013 at 22:08

Wednesday, May 08, 2013 at 22:08
I too had a problem with the washing machine in my van, also the air con, and both were fixed in consultation with the manufacturers (Dometic and Air Command). Both were officially out of warranty, but parts were replaced free of charge and I paid the labour component.
The fridge has had the element replaced twice, both times under warranty by Dometic.

The van proper is covered by the manufacturer, and the component parts (fridge, microwave, washing machine, air con etc) are all covered by manufacturers warranties, and are repaired by their agents.

Cheers
Laurie
FollowupID: 788732

Reply By: olcoolone - Wednesday, May 08, 2013 at 08:31

Wednesday, May 08, 2013 at 08:31
The only reason you get a long warranty on a motor vehicle is marketing motor vehicle manufactures know not much other than niggly little things usually go wrong during this period so they are safe.

When one starts pushing 3 or 5 year caravan warranties they will all start doing it, people have this mind set that if something has a longer warranty it must be better then the one with the shorter warranty.

Manufacturer's warranties are just a glorified policy gesture, a type of feel good security blanket for the consumer....... You have to remember you're still protected by the Australian consumer law so even if it didn't have a manufactures warranty you're still covered.
AnswerID: 510563

Follow Up By: AlanTH - Wednesday, May 08, 2013 at 09:30

Wednesday, May 08, 2013 at 09:30
The Cook and I bought a new Goldstream Explorer from George Day C/Vans in Perth approx 18 months ago. Apart from one any complaints we had that couldn't be fixed with a tube of silicone were dismissed as wear and tear, misuse, inappropriate use, neglect etc or we were told to approach the makers who ignored us.
Now I originally typed up a long list of all that's gone on since but have deleted it as the forum owners may have objected as is their right.
Suffice it to say that our claim against the above two businesses has been settled which goes to show what can be done when faced with the couldn't careless go away attitude of those who've been only too willing to take your hard earned and then provide no service or assistance afterwards.
Should any other problems arise from the crap badly buckled wheels fitted to the van (which have been replaced) and the vibration from them, we will be have no hesitation in taking further action even if it's in 5 years time.
AlanH.
PS. I exclude GDs warranty section from this as they tried hard for us
FollowupID: 788644

Reply By: Neil & Pauline - Wednesday, May 08, 2013 at 08:54

Wednesday, May 08, 2013 at 08:54
I am not sure if this new consumer law will cover caravans. I know from experience it does not cover a house. We cannot live in ours and nobody wants to know, even after $500,000 in legal costs.
AnswerID: 510565

Reply By: brushmarx - Wednesday, May 08, 2013 at 08:57

Wednesday, May 08, 2013 at 08:57
I would suggest it may have something to do with the way people tend to treat their possessions.
A $45 000 vehicle is probably used more frequently and have recommended services conducted, whereas a van may well cost $65 000, but never have bearings and brakes etc checked. Some parts of trailers/vans deteriorate through lack of use, then once a year they are dragged over Australia's maintenance lacking roadworks. Also, the vehicles have odometers to certify distance driven, and most vans don't. You could theoretically have a van two years old that has traveled well over car warranty distances.
Completely different product, but my parents celebration of me leaving home at the ripe old age of 15 was me receiving the gift of a good quality wristwatch. It came with a lifetime warranty certificate. It died after six months, and when returned to the jeweller's, all we received was the comment "Well obviously its lifetime is over..... it has died".
The amount of "outs' written into warranties pretty much makes them useless compared to the legal standing of expectation, and the goodwill of the manufacturer.
Cheers
Ian
I'll get there someday, or die wanting to.

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 510566

Sponsored Links