Dipping Headlights

Submitted: Monday, Feb 02, 2004 at 15:08
ThreadID: 10208 Views:1615 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Gizmo asked the question of when to dip headlights for oncoming traffic, and then the subsequent problem of being left 'in the dark'. The advice of dipping when they dip, and slowing down (if required) was accurate, one more thing you might consider doing - fit a heavy duty wiring loom to your heaqdlights, so that you are actually getting all the performance that your low beam is capable of. These looms are available from good suppliers such as ARB in Osborne Park. Hope this helps.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Jon - '88 TD42 GQ - Monday, Feb 02, 2004 at 16:10

Monday, Feb 02, 2004 at 16:10
If we all wait untill the person coming the otrher way dips, then no one will!!

Personally I dip pretty early, the moment I think my lights are affecting the other person's vision. Usually that's when they affect mine, unless I'm running spots of course.

I agree that 'slow down' is sounds advice as well. If you can't see as far, don't go as fast!

Cheers
AnswerID: 45183

Reply By: tex1972 - Monday, Feb 02, 2004 at 18:42

Monday, Feb 02, 2004 at 18:42
bit of trivia for you -you are supposed to use the pass/dip function on your headlights before you overtake a vehical in front of you.
AnswerID: 45196

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff & Karen - Monday, Feb 02, 2004 at 21:01

Monday, Feb 02, 2004 at 21:01
Imagine the road rage if every one did that....but yes you are right and I think the only ones who do that are the truckies................
KarenKind Regards
Karen & Geoff
(Happy holidaying)
FollowupID: 307323

Follow Up By: Poida4x4 - Monday, Feb 02, 2004 at 22:07

Monday, Feb 02, 2004 at 22:07
They flash to indicate they're overtaking in Thailand. When I first saw it I thought they were all just angry drivers but it was just courtesy. I like the idea but I think a lot of people would take it the wrong way.
I used to drive with someone who dipped their lights as soon as they a glow over the horizon but this meant that the oncoming vehicle would not know that we were there so we got blinded. You can't comment on some peoples driving though, cos they'll jump down yer throat. I usually dip mine when I feel it's close to getting annoying. Same as when someone is in front of me, I don't like being blind in the mirrors...
FollowupID: 307329

Sponsored Links