Epirus question

Submitted: Thursday, May 09, 2013 at 21:14
ThreadID: 102109 Views:1612 Replies:12 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I understand that a 000 emergency number can be activated anywhere in Aus.with a response whether in phone range or not.This has been confirmed tome by Telstra.Why then does anyone bother to spend big money on a personal location beacon for emergencies while camping, hiking, hunting etc. when they can call 000 and give them there exact location with a cheap hand held G.P.S ? Maybe I am missing something.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The Rambler( W.A.) - Thursday, May 09, 2013 at 21:16

Thursday, May 09, 2013 at 21:16
sorry, it should have read Epirb question.
AnswerID: 510668

Reply By: equinox - Thursday, May 09, 2013 at 21:39

Thursday, May 09, 2013 at 21:39
Hi Rambler,

This doesn't sound right to me.
How can a call be made if you're out of range?

More likely to be that an emergency call can be made if you're within range of any provider, but not necessarily you own provider.

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 510669

Reply By: Ross M - Thursday, May 09, 2013 at 21:41

Thursday, May 09, 2013 at 21:41
Can you explain what you mean "activate anywhere in Australia whether in phone range or not" ?
If your phone, which only transmits a relatively short distance, can only reach tower within range, how is the signal expected to be received by 000 or any emergency service if you are much further away. ie 150 km away.

What caused you to "understand" this can happen. If it can by satellite systems we should all know about it because it seems to be a good secret.

Ross M
AnswerID: 510670

Follow Up By: The Rambler( W.A.) - Thursday, May 09, 2013 at 22:10

Thursday, May 09, 2013 at 22:10
All the responses seem to be how I was thinking--- out of range means no contact to 000.But when out of range most phones will have a message " for emergency calls only" .That is why I went to Telstra and asked what that means and I was told by TWO independent Telstra shops that you will get a response whether you are out of range or not on the 000 number. maybe it is set up to receive satellite coverage in these circumstances-I don't know but they seem to be sure of what they say.Maybe all the "doubters" out there can check withTelstra themselves.By the way I carry an EPIRB while hunting ,this just has me wondering why,
FollowupID: 788811

Follow Up By: fisho64 - Friday, May 10, 2013 at 03:27

Friday, May 10, 2013 at 03:27
the number is 112 from memory and only allows access to any mobile service even without a simcard fitted.
FollowupID: 788818

Reply By: Bazooka - Thursday, May 09, 2013 at 21:46

Thursday, May 09, 2013 at 21:46
If there is no mobile coverage from any network you're dead in the water Rambler.

An activated EPIRB/PLB with GPS will send an exact position without the need to speak to anyone or read coords from a GPS.

AnswerID: 510671

Reply By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Thursday, May 09, 2013 at 21:46

Thursday, May 09, 2013 at 21:46
Same again. I cannot see how a message can get out if there isn't anything either a cell or another phone to receive it and pass it on. Maybe a satellite but then again you can be out of contact with a satellite as well. (in a deep valley).

Strange. Maybe a comment from someone who doesn't believe in anything west of the Blue Mountains.

Phil
AnswerID: 510672

Reply By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Thursday, May 09, 2013 at 22:03

Thursday, May 09, 2013 at 22:03
Rambler, you have either been misinformed or you have misunderstood.
Clearly, a mobile phone cannot connect to the network if it is 'out of range'.
However, if the caller's home network is out of range, the phone will attempt to use other carrier's networks to relay the call. Even this will only work if there is an alternative carrier within range of your phone and only applies to 000 calls.

Next time you are well away in the bush and your phone is showing no connectivity bars, try dialling 000 and you will confirm that it does not work.
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 510674

Reply By: Member - bungarra (WA) - Thursday, May 09, 2013 at 22:04

Thursday, May 09, 2013 at 22:04
someone was away with the faries during your discussions with Telstra

"Confirmed by Telstra"..........you both weren't on the same page during the discussions

Wouldnt surprise me at all if the Telsta rep had no idea what you were asking...or confused you with the following

It is my understaning that all cell phones will allow a call to an emergency number (within a signal coverage area) irrespective of the following

No SIM card present
No Credit left
Any carrier network within range....(providing the cell phone has the frequencies of the "other carriers"...)

no signal = no cell phone range = no call out to any one = to any number any where.....simple as that

away from cell phone coverage you have three choices to call / make contact for help

EPIRB
Satellite Phone
HF radio

Life is a journey, it is not how we fall down, it is how we get up.
VKS 1341

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 510675

Reply By: Tim - Thursday, May 09, 2013 at 22:21

Thursday, May 09, 2013 at 22:21
To be fair rambler, Telstra have told me that my I phone 4s uses satellites to connect to the Telstra network too..... Tech support fail.....

If "normal" phones had the capability of connecting to an orbiting satellite then why are sat phone antennas so big?

Tim
AnswerID: 510676

Reply By: Cravenhaven - Friday, May 10, 2013 at 00:22

Friday, May 10, 2013 at 00:22
To help clarify (or confuse).
My phone is connected to the vodafone network and in the house I am currently living in there is no coverage from vodafone. There is however coverage in this area with telstra though it is not reliable.
Consequently my phone shows "emergency calls only" (or SOS ?) most of the time, but sometimes it shows "no service". I dont intend to try, but I am quite sure that emergency calls mean 000 access and it would be carried by the telstra network (no vodafone here), but no service means I cant call anyone.
cravenhaven

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 510684

Reply By: Dingojim - Friday, May 10, 2013 at 07:12

Friday, May 10, 2013 at 07:12
I think we have been a victim of a malady currently sweeping the customer support section of the telecommunications industry at large, First and most important credential for a position in customer support is the ability to apply the principle " If you can't dazzle them with brilliance then baffle them with bulls***". I have no idea what criteria the Telcos use to determine these, mostly, kids suitability for the job but it's sure as hell not technical knowledge or experience. I suspect the same system as used by the hash foundries ( Maccas, KFC and co ) and that is ,knowing the kids have buckleys of getting a meaningful job, they employ them, give them 2 hours training and then pay them peanuts to deal with us real technically disadvantaged plebs. But always bear in mind that at least you got to talk to a person in the flesh who could probably speak intelligible English WITHOUT the Asian/Indian inflections and the pseudo American accent. I never knew the meaning of the word 'hate' unl I had to deal with a Telco call centre.,Cheers,
AnswerID: 510688

Follow Up By: get outmore - Friday, May 10, 2013 at 21:55

Friday, May 10, 2013 at 21:55
Telstra call centres have improved 500% since moving to india. Your calls are answerd prompltly and issues usually resolved on the spot. If you have a grievance they will immediately wave fees and reduce bills
FollowupID: 788871

Reply By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Friday, May 10, 2013 at 07:40

Friday, May 10, 2013 at 07:40
I intend calling and checking myself today. I believe it should be stressed that the is no network coverage from any mobile service provider. Seems that we may have an over zealous salesman or badly informed customer service (will never call them an engineer) character who does not listen.

A radio, which a phone is, needs another radio (mobile phone or cell tower) to communicate to. It ain't a single device unity system. A bit like the string and two tin cans. Take one away and ithe system (network) will not work.

Paul Hogan once made a joke about all the TV signals that weren't picked up. He reckons, jokingly, that they are gathering and coming back to get us one day. Looks like the Telstra bloke believes the same.

Phil
AnswerID: 510691

Reply By: olcoolone - Friday, May 10, 2013 at 21:41

Friday, May 10, 2013 at 21:41
Unfortunately Rambler you're not alone with you thinking and the information you may of had given to you.

There are many misconceptions regarding mobile phones and out back comms.

As most have said before you can not use 000 on a mobile phone if there is no carrier within range.

Getting back to why can't you just phone someone (000) and give them your location with a cheap GPS...... thats great if you're capable of doing that but if you had a stroke, fall, a serious car accident or some other injury whereby you were not able to ....first make the call, secondly use your GPS to obtain the co-ords and then thirdly relay them correctly to the person on the phone whereby with an PLB (epirb) it is a simple as hitting one button for help.

There is a simple reason why I spend big money on a PLB, satellite phone, and HF radio....... I value my life and my life is worth more than the $6500 I have spent.

If you only bought a PLB the cost would be under $400...... do you think that is too much money and not worth it?
AnswerID: 510762

Sponsored Links