4WD Insurance

Submitted: Friday, May 10, 2013 at 00:09
ThreadID: 102112 Views:8857 Replies:12 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
I have been searching around for 4wd insurance. I am currently insured with DGA insurance brokers. My problem is every time you go for a quote and state you use your 4wd off road, many companies do want to know you.
Today I went to my bank (I have insurance policies with them) today to get a quote and everything was fine and mentioned about companies not covering off Road. The manager rang the insurance company and the reply was I could go on a designated pathway or dirt road but not on private property.
I was told about TCIS insurance but on searching the net they are not recommended either.
Is there any other companies out there who do off road insurance?

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: mountainman - Friday, May 10, 2013 at 02:10

Friday, May 10, 2013 at 02:10
shannons have been getting awesome wraps..
you just have to mention your a 4wd nut..
and that kind of classes you as an enthusiast.
also some of their policies are the best in business.
like if youve taken stuff off your car, and they get stolen, your covered.
or the fact that if youve done engine conversions, or spent a motza on accesories..
normaly with other companies you say bye bye to car.. and any gear on it...
with shannons you get an option to buy back write off vehicle for like 8dollars..
that means you get paid out, and get to keep all your accesories, or expensive mods if they are still usable to you.
ive found nrma great, but never had a claim, but for the reason above youll be way ahead with shannons..
otherwise you lose your car and all accesories with can add up to over 10g quite easy.
and thats 10g you have to spend again.
AnswerID: 510685

Reply By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Friday, May 10, 2013 at 07:13

Friday, May 10, 2013 at 07:13
We are with GIO. Just made a claim on damages made on a dirt track. All good. I hopefully pick it up today after $11.000 worth of repairs.

AnswerID: 510689

Reply By: glenmac - Friday, May 10, 2013 at 07:43

Friday, May 10, 2013 at 07:43
I have been using TCIS for a number of years now. You have to be a member of a club to be able to use them though. The policy I have clearly states where you can drive and this includes anywhere on mainland Australia including river crossings. It would be interesting to hear why they are not recommended, as I am sure there are many others out there working through this broker.

AnswerID: 510692

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Friday, May 10, 2013 at 07:56

Friday, May 10, 2013 at 07:56
Should have added that one. Same here. We are club members. And I think that TCIS is involved somewhere with us also. Maybe as agents for GIO.

FollowupID: 788821

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Friday, May 10, 2013 at 07:59

Friday, May 10, 2013 at 07:59
My error. They were the previous insurers for the car.

FollowupID: 788822

Reply By: Robert H2 - Friday, May 10, 2013 at 08:44

Friday, May 10, 2013 at 08:44
I purchased a new Landcruiser 200 series last year and did the rounds for insurance. Got lots of quotes and settled on the best (Apia $1,286.16) which I intended to activate for the day the car was to be delivered.

Watching TV a few days prior to delivery I noticed the advertisement for youi. I rang and spent nearly an hour answering questions before they gave me the quote ($677.66 for an agreed value of $92,000). Interestingly this includes off road operation (as long as it is in accordance with the manufacturers requirements) and allows for some aftermarket modifications including a 50mm lift.

Questions included, "How long have you been driving?" answer: Around about 50 years
"When did you get your drivers license?" answer: On my 18th Birthday.
"Does this mean you were driving without a License?" answer: Yes, I grew up on a farm and started driving by myself when I was about 10.
"Have you lost your license in the last 5 years?" answer: I have never lost my license.

Definitely worth the call for a quote, but allow an hour for all the questions.


AnswerID: 510706

Reply By: MAVERICK(WA) - Friday, May 10, 2013 at 11:34

Friday, May 10, 2013 at 11:34
Just make sure that when you eventually settle on an insurance company you include everything that you want to be insured - and do it in writing. This includes all the "stuff" you have in your vehicle when travelling............and not just the obvious like fridge and bull bar and roof rack etc. Make sure you include your compressor and recovery gear and radio and satphone and PLB and tools and on and on.......... Many years ago I had a car stolen and the front was damaged when they crashed it. It was a modified HZ Premier wagon (told you it was many years ago) with a Caprice front end. When the assessor eventually arrived he said they would only put on a Premier front end - I directed him to the original policy document and there written by hand was the Caprice front end - they did the right thing and repaired it as per the policy. Pays to be diligent and even a bit anal. rgds
Slow down and relax......

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 510722

Follow Up By: allein m - Friday, May 10, 2013 at 15:21

Friday, May 10, 2013 at 15:21
Yes I totally agree with you in writing is so important these days the chances are the person who you have made a agreement with may have left or forgotten and make sure you have a a copy as well one company we had insurance with put it in writing but when we made a claim could not find the agreement but I had a copy and showed the accessory he was not happy but had to follow through with our agreed amount and optional extras roo bar spot lights with upgraded blue globes all repaired to as specified.
FollowupID: 788842

Follow Up By: Member - Oldbaz. NSW. - Friday, May 10, 2013 at 16:53

Friday, May 10, 2013 at 16:53
I had a heap of stuff stolen from my car & had it replaced with new
by my insurer, CGU, but under my contents policy not car insurance.
Policy states that anything normally kept in the home environment
but carried in the car is still covered. Included fridge, laptop, even
tools. Vehicle accessories,however, need to be listed on the car
FollowupID: 788852

Reply By: Rockape - Friday, May 10, 2013 at 15:34

Friday, May 10, 2013 at 15:34
Just for everyones interest. This is what Suncorp owns insurance wise.

Suncorp is the parent company of insurance company GIO. GIO is mainly used as a general insurance company representing Suncorp outside Queensland, offering similar products to the Suncorp branded insurance product in Queensland.
Suncorp also owns the AAMI, Apia, Just Car Insurance, Shannons, InsureMyRide, Vero, Terri Scheer, Bingle, CIL, Asteron and Tyndall insurance brands in Australia,
AnswerID: 510737

Reply By: Member - evaredy - Friday, May 10, 2013 at 15:43

Friday, May 10, 2013 at 15:43
I have also been doing some searching, I am currently with QBE but will be changing to TCIS.
Because they will cover fuel damage, contaminated or wrong fuel. I can also claim up 50% of the value of the car in accessories including the suspension lift.
They also cover you anywhere in the country not just gazetted roads, they also cover any type of water crossings.
AnswerID: 510738

Follow Up By: Member - evaredy - Friday, May 10, 2013 at 15:51

Friday, May 10, 2013 at 15:51
I meant to put through TCIS, the insurer is Allianz
FollowupID: 788846

Reply By: Yanktigers - Friday, May 10, 2013 at 17:43

Friday, May 10, 2013 at 17:43
Thanks for all the replies. I have been dealing with a company called DGA Insurance brokers who are based in Melbourne who I think are still the best company. I have looked at all the threads and everything that was mentioned I have sounded out before but it was only yesterday that my bank manager said he could do a better deal but today he rang me back and confessed he could not so I will stick with what I already have.

AnswerID: 510746

Reply By: Member - Fred B (ex-NT) - Friday, May 10, 2013 at 22:01

Friday, May 10, 2013 at 22:01
Hi all,
have been reading the thread with interest.

Was insured once (never again) with allianz... couldn't even get a windscreen replaced with them.... because according to them... I was on a non-designated road... utter garbage, but they wouldn't budge. Changed insurer and tried for a refund... refused.. because I had lodged a claim and there fore wasn't entitled. Took several phone calls and hours through consumer affairs... 3 months later got a check for just over half of the amount I should have got back.

Currently with suncorp, not happy with the fine print or the value of what they would pay out. Looking at TCIS as they seem to be the only one who will pay off road. Other alternative is to look at going back to TIO Insurance in Darwin. Never had problems with them and they pay promptly .
Fred B
VKS 737: Mobile/Selcall 1334

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 510765

Reply By: Yanktigers - Friday, May 10, 2013 at 23:05

Friday, May 10, 2013 at 23:05
TCIS is underwritten by alianz as well but also you have belong to a 4wd club. I will not join a 4wd club.
I am currently with DGA insurance brokers although I have not had to make a claim but what the cover disclosure states they seem to have the best cover.
I have looked at most of these the companies that offer 4wd insurance and what their product disclosure states it is not worth the paper it is written on.

AnswerID: 510768

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Saturday, May 11, 2013 at 08:21

Saturday, May 11, 2013 at 08:21
I don't know if you are including GIO in "most of these the companies". If you do then I suggest that you should read their PDS again. Ours is and the proof is in the car being repaired right now. Slid along a rock cutting a dirt track in the eastern end of the Vic high country. Also a single vehicle accident. And all covered including a loan car. No loss of no claim bonus as well because we are "old customers". No hassles and used a preferred repairer as well. No running around getting quotes and stuff. Just a one phone call when we got home and one visit to the preferred repairer. Done

And got a good discount for being a club member. That's also worth reconsidering. Hasn't got to be a local one. Even the national one may save you a bundle. Your choice I know.

FollowupID: 788886

Follow Up By: Roge - Monday, May 13, 2013 at 11:55

Monday, May 13, 2013 at 11:55
You do NOT have to be a 4WD Club member, however there are benefits to club members that are not available to the general public.

Insurance policy comparisons are complex at best, so make certain to cover the main issues, 'Any where in Australia' not gazetted roads. Include nominated tracks. Include all modifications & accessories. Non permanent additions such as tents etc. can be covered in the house or contents policy.

As well as TCIS there is Affinity who are another 4WD specialist broker.

Both have their policies under written by various companies, and I know they change every 2 years or so.
FollowupID: 789066

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Monday, May 13, 2013 at 14:05

Monday, May 13, 2013 at 14:05
True! I didn't SAY that. And maybe they give a discount to retired to "rangers" as well. Who knows.

Anyone can ask for a discount. At least the national body has brokered a deal with them.


FollowupID: 789072

Reply By: equinox - Saturday, May 11, 2013 at 04:17

Saturday, May 11, 2013 at 04:17
CGU looked after me.

Wrote my 4wd off on the Connie Sue Highway. Got a brand new one for free several months later. Not really off road but on a remote track.

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 510771

Follow Up By: equinox - Saturday, May 11, 2013 at 04:33

Saturday, May 11, 2013 at 04:33

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 788883

Reply By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Saturday, May 11, 2013 at 08:13

Saturday, May 11, 2013 at 08:13
Oldbaz brought up a good point and I will remember that one. Contents can be covered with the house contents. Good one.

Replacement hire cars.
We are just about to get our car back from the panel beaters. A point to remember for all is if the policy includes a replacement car, which ours does, then make sure the replacement car is suitable, which ours is not.

Lets say we roll our ute on the Connie Sue Highway and they supply you with a replacement car. A tiny little Toyota Corolla. Not a bad tiny car but where do you put all the "stuff" to take it home while the car is repaired or even left as a write off. You cant!!! Luckily we got our car home and unpacked everything. But if we were remote then we would likely be doing a big contents claim as well if we had a little car.

What's a suitable temporary car? I don't think that they will come up with a 4WD but it's worth starting there and negotiate. I know that we will try for something bigger next renewal. Of course it will cost more but I don't want to leave all my "stuff" or good tools and "junk bits" on the ground. Even if it is covered by contents insurance.

AnswerID: 510773

Sponsored Links