Tyre Failure

Submitted: Sunday, May 12, 2013 at 09:24
ThreadID: 102164 Views:2982 Replies:8 FollowUps:16
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all

After your thoughts on how I should play this one. 3 or 4 weeks ago I had a new set of Dunlop Road Grippers F type fitted to the front of the Troopy, also new tubes fitted. A few days later we headed of on a trip down to Roper Bar. Checked the Tyres before we left and there was still the 55 pound (on the front) that I had requested that the tyre dealer put in them. Swapped drivers after Mataranka. Had just turned off onto the Roper Hwy when the car seemed to bounce a few times, as I wasn't driving I hadn't been paying particular attention the the road surface so wasn't able to access quickly enough the situation. A short time later 10-20 seconds, I'm yelling at the "fairer half" to pull over. Yep, Tyre dead flat. Swapped it over and went on our way. Once back home I had a real close look ate the Tyre, Unable to see anything sticking in it. It had travel 400 Km, black top only. A week later back in Darwin I take the Tyre back to the dealer and tell him the story. "Give us a few minutes and we will have it fixed" Err, I'm not sure about that mate, this Tyre has flexed up and down a lot and I'm not sure of the integrity of the side wall anymore. "Oh, mmm, give us your number a we will take a look at it and get back to you".Well Darwin being Darwin that was two weeks ago, no response. Now some of you may say why not just call him again. Well I'm getting a bit over doing that. Thinking of contacting Dunlop direct. I don't fancy putting that Tyre back on my vehicle when the side wall could just fall out at any moment, possibly resulting in fatalities.
Interest in what other EO members would do and if anyone has had a similar experience and how it played out.

Thanks

Lyndon
Now is the only time you own
Decide now what you will,
Place faith not in tomorrow
For the clock may then be still

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: AlanTH - Sunday, May 12, 2013 at 09:47

Sunday, May 12, 2013 at 09:47
Hi Lyndon.
We were having probs with excessive wear on the Dunlop Grand Trek tyres on our small caravan and I sent them an email from their web page asking for info. They got back to me very quickly, I explained the problems we were experiencing and they arranged for an immediate inspection at Beurepaires in Balcatta.
Nothing untoward found with the tyres themselves and after further investigation it appears buckled wheels (crap manufacture) is the trouble but the point I'm trying to make is the excellent service response from Dunlop.
They may be able to assist you as well.
Cheers.
AlanH.
AnswerID: 510857

Reply By: Bushranger1 - Sunday, May 12, 2013 at 10:11

Sunday, May 12, 2013 at 10:11
G'day Lyndon,
I have split rims on my Hilux & have trashed 3 near tyres on my Hilux over a short space of time.
One of the guys who replaced my 3rd one ($900.00 dollars later!) reckons the new tubes most suppliers use are garbage. He ordered me 4 new Michelin tubes & before he fitted them asked me to hold a standard tube as carried by nearly all the tyre dealers in one hand & the Michelin in the other. No comparison! Heaps thicker rubber in the Michelin so much heavier.
That was a year ago & no problems since.
Don't let the tyre places sell you the garbage tubes they keep on the shelf. Wait & get some quality tubes in ALL your tyres.
Cheers
Stu
AnswerID: 510859

Follow Up By: Bushranger1 - Sunday, May 12, 2013 at 10:14

Sunday, May 12, 2013 at 10:14
I meant to add that due to the rapid deflation of the tubed tyres you will nearly always trash the sidewalls as I found out with mine.
FollowupID: 788975

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Sunday, May 12, 2013 at 12:09

Sunday, May 12, 2013 at 12:09
I agree with everything Stu has said. I gave up on splits because of difficulties finding quality tubes that wouldn't spontaneously split in the seam or develop a small hole. Most tubes were thin and came from Korea. Not sure what else is out there now.
FollowupID: 788986

Follow Up By: allein m - Sunday, May 12, 2013 at 15:00

Sunday, May 12, 2013 at 15:00
which place did you get the 4 new Michelin tubes guy across the road has a landcruser on splits wants to know thank you
FollowupID: 789006

Follow Up By: Bushranger1 - Sunday, May 12, 2013 at 16:23

Sunday, May 12, 2013 at 16:23
The Tyreplus dealer in Pakenham ordered them in for me.
FollowupID: 789011

Follow Up By: TTTSA - Sunday, May 12, 2013 at 17:21

Sunday, May 12, 2013 at 17:21
Bridgestone tubes are also very good, made in Japan. Expect to pay about $60.00 each though.
FollowupID: 789013

Follow Up By: Member - Scott M (NSW) - Sunday, May 12, 2013 at 22:47

Sunday, May 12, 2013 at 22:47
Also agree with Stu, my father & I both run BFG MTs on split rims - on multiple trips in the past no real serious issues until a fairly easy run through West QLD 2 years ago - Dad got 4 flats in 3 days & 5 on the trip. When we got them repaired the mechanic couldn't find any obvious punctures. One wiser mechanic asked Dad if he had replaced the tubes before the trip ..... turned out the mechanic had used the cheaper Korean imports as these were all he could get... after that we told him to use the heavier Michilen or don't bother. Since then - touch wood.

One word of advice - make sure the tyre fitter completely removes those silly little stickers on the inside of new tyres ... they will eventually rub a hole in the tube.
FollowupID: 789035

Follow Up By: Member - Scott M (NSW) - Monday, May 13, 2013 at 19:40

Monday, May 13, 2013 at 19:40
The other thing is to make sure they use a little fine powder (talc or similar) inside the tyre
FollowupID: 789099

Reply By: Gronk - Sunday, May 12, 2013 at 11:06

Sunday, May 12, 2013 at 11:06
I'd say you are getting ahead of yourself a bit......

The tyre place may have even forgotten all about your problem.....but you really do need to ring them and find out whats happening 1st before going over their head.....just common courtesy..
AnswerID: 510864

Reply By: Member - DW Lennox Head(NSW) - Sunday, May 12, 2013 at 11:14

Sunday, May 12, 2013 at 11:14
Hi Lyndon

Why did you have 55 psi in the tyres?

Were you carrying a very heavy load?

I have a Kimberley Karavan which is close to 2 tonnes fully loaded and I never ever run more than 40 psi in its tyres and about the same on the rear tyres of the BT50. The steer on the BT50 is not more than 30 psi. That is on black top only.

As soon as I know I am onto a lot of unsealed road those 2 axles above are down to 28 psi and the steer down to about 23 psi. I have done this for years on BFG ATs with no punctures or blow outs. The Kimberley Karavan has done over 100,000 kms on a range of road type as the BT50 has too.

I suppose Troopys are different.

Cheers
DW
AnswerID: 510865

Follow Up By: gbc - Sunday, May 12, 2013 at 11:58

Sunday, May 12, 2013 at 11:58
With split rims and tubes 55lb is considered about an average pressure.
FollowupID: 788983

Reply By: passionfruit - Sunday, May 12, 2013 at 12:33

Sunday, May 12, 2013 at 12:33
Most people with 'splits' have encountered this problem many a time.I have had most of my tube failures on the black top.Recently I had a set of Coopers fitted for a cape trip in which 2 failed at the same time.On fitting they did not remove the small sticker that is on the inner wall of the tyre which in time generates heat and puts a hole in the already thin Korean tube they fit.I will be going back to the Road Grippers next time as I find the Coopers(great on dirt) are too vague on the tar.
Putting your hand on the tyre in intervals when travelling to feel if it is too hot will also tell you that there is not enough air for the weight you are carrying.But this would not be the case here Lyndon--------------splits the on going trouble with less then standard tubes. Glenn.
AnswerID: 510872

Reply By: Rockape - Sunday, May 12, 2013 at 16:20

Sunday, May 12, 2013 at 16:20
Lyndon,
Just a couple of things. Road grippers wear out very quickly to start with.

Trucks gave up using split rims years ago.

Mines gave up using them about 10 to 15 years ago The only reason they persisted was the vehicles were supplied with them. Then too many near misses with the locking rings becoming projectiles. Mostly due to human error though and constant failures after being repaired.

The splits are hard to balance and have a habit of being out of round.

If the locking ring is placed on the wrong wheel and the distance not maintained they can be dangerous. 5mm is about the space between the 2 ends of the locking ring when fitted.

Any foreign matter on the inside of the rim will cause problems for the tube.

As said quality tubes are essential. I am glad I will never have to play with them again.

Splits are bloody heavy compared with a safety rim and tyre.

Please disregard this if you like split rims.

AnswerID: 510889

Follow Up By: Bushranger1 - Sunday, May 12, 2013 at 16:26

Sunday, May 12, 2013 at 16:26
Have to agree Rockape.
First & last vehicle I get with split rims.
I was going to change them out but up for a new vehicle soon so don't want to spend any money on the old girl.
FollowupID: 789012

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Monday, May 13, 2013 at 01:03

Monday, May 13, 2013 at 01:03
Agree also, splits are downright dangerous.
First thing I do with my new Troopy is change the wheels for tubeless.

VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 789042

Reply By: The Rambler( W.A.) - Sunday, May 12, 2013 at 21:59

Sunday, May 12, 2013 at 21:59
Alot what was said is very correct in my opinion.Ihave been a split rim fan for many ,many years and would not change as if used properly should be no problem.Firstly let me say that the dunlop road grippers that come with the new Troopy are not a very good tyre for wear.I would reccomend upgrading to a 235/85/16 AT 10 PLY TYRE and as said keep the pressures up.I do a lot of outback travel(3-4 months) every year and I run 55psi on the back,50 psi on the front, and 50 psi on my camper.I try to keep to good quality tubes(Japan) and have very few tyre problems.On the really rough stuff I drop pressures all round by 5psi but never go below 45 psi on split rims.Works for me and Iwill stick with it.As for being dangerous to change I have done quite a few myself and have never heard of a problem on Troopy split rims---trucks yes but not on the Troopy rims as it is very obvious when the locking ring locks in.
PS.The only time Idrop pressures to 18psi or below is on very soft sand.
AnswerID: 510929

Follow Up By: Member - Tony (ACT) - Monday, May 13, 2013 at 08:59

Monday, May 13, 2013 at 08:59
You must have good glue on your false teeth with 55psi in the back of a troopy.
FollowupID: 789056

Follow Up By: Member - lyndon NT - Monday, May 13, 2013 at 18:29

Monday, May 13, 2013 at 18:29
LOL, I run more than 55 in the rear :-)

FollowupID: 789092

Follow Up By: The Rambler( W.A.) - Monday, May 13, 2013 at 22:51

Monday, May 13, 2013 at 22:51
Tony you must be one of the many uneducated dumbwits living in the ACT.Sorry I had to waste my time to reply to your childish sense of humour --happy traveling!
FollowupID: 789129

Follow Up By: Member - Tony (ACT) - Monday, May 13, 2013 at 23:52

Monday, May 13, 2013 at 23:52
Rambler what a pity you did waste your time with such a comment. For your information Tony was only having a bit of fun. He has been an instructor for the Advanced Driver Training in one of our clubs here in the ACT; has owned a Troopy for many years; spent a whole year on the track 19 years ago; toured Tasmania twice; has driven to the Cape on numerous occasions; the Victorian high country too often to count; the Canning Stock Route twice and we are about to set off again for the next 5 months. Yes I am very proud of his ability and sorry that people have such a very narrow view of citizens of the ACT. You may like to know that those of us who choose to live here are happy, well-adjusted folk. Unfortunately I cannot say the same for those ----- that are sent to us to waste the good taxpayers hard earned money.
FollowupID: 789132

Follow Up By: fisho64 - Tuesday, May 14, 2013 at 02:23

Tuesday, May 14, 2013 at 02:23
i spy with my little eye
something beginning with R
Thats had a massive SOHF
FollowupID: 789136

Reply By: Member - lyndon NT - Monday, May 13, 2013 at 18:33

Monday, May 13, 2013 at 18:33
Thanks for all the reply's. Didn't realise that the tubes have become rubbish these days, but as most things have it's no surprise really. Where do most of you get the good tubes? Are they available online?
Looks like it is probably a crap tube, crap fitting or leaving the sticker inside the tyre though not many Km's for it to have worn through.
Just wonder how long I will have to wait to hear back from the dealer...................................................................................................................................................................................

AnswerID: 510999

Follow Up By: The Rambler( W.A.) - Tuesday, May 14, 2013 at 11:22

Tuesday, May 14, 2013 at 11:22
Tony, after reading your response to my hasty reply to your post I must apologise for my reply as I now know you were only having a bit of fun.I respect your experience in this field and maybe we can catch up one day in this vast land and have a beer or two or three while I let my tyres down.
FollowupID: 789149

Sponsored Links