Fruit and Veges on the nullabor

Submitted: Sunday, May 12, 2013 at 10:54
ThreadID: 102166 Views:5047 Replies:14 FollowUps:18
This Thread has been Archived
We are currently in SA, slowly making our way west. We will be crossing the nullabor in a couple of weeks. Where is the quarantine point for fruit and veg and where is the closest shop after that to restock. We have a very fussy 2 year old on board who eats pretty much nothing but fruit. Thanks!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: GrumpyOldFart - Sunday, May 12, 2013 at 11:00

Sunday, May 12, 2013 at 11:00
Rebecca
Turn what you have into fruit salad before the quarantine point...no problems!
I was told that only whole fruit is subject to quarantine.

Remember
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly,
Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 510863

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H3 - Sunday, May 12, 2013 at 12:06

Sunday, May 12, 2013 at 12:06
I agree with the above also turn your pumpkin and potatoes into soup we had to eat ours for a week,last year, I don't want to see pumpkin soup again for a while yet and same with potato soup. restock at Esperance or Kal, for me it would be Esperance beautiful little town and a lot of history
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 788985

Follow Up By: Mad Habits - Sunday, May 12, 2013 at 13:38

Sunday, May 12, 2013 at 13:38
All FRESH fruit and vegetables (AND I MEAN ALL) will be taken off you at the checkpoint (including your fresh fruit salad).

Turn your vegies into salad and put dressing on it and they will let you through. No dressing and you can kiss it goodbye! (Have the dressing ready and pour it on in front of the inspector, so it sits in the dressing for the least amount of time before consumption)
Make your potato salad and coleslaw before you go through the checkpoint.

Potatoes, pumpkin, or any/ALL other fresh vegies you will have to par boil before the border or lose them, they even took an airtight container of fresh chopped onions off me.

Make a fruit pie or crumble before you get there to use up fruit

Nearest good shop to restock is in Norseman several hundred km away!

Get some tinned fruit etc.

Mushrooms are ok they don't want them

Any Honey open or not - KISS it goodbye! So don't take any honey or eat it before you cross the checkpoint.

Cheers
FollowupID: 788995

Reply By: Member - Michael P (QLD) - Sunday, May 12, 2013 at 11:51

Sunday, May 12, 2013 at 11:51
Rebecca,
The WA checkpoint is at Border Village.Your best bet to restock will be at Esperance or Kalgoorlie, The small towns before there will be pretty expensive and not a great variety.

I was in WA a couple of months ago and was fairly disappointed with quality and prices of F&V.
Drus suggestion of Fruit salad could be challenged at the gate, some of the Inspectors go by the book 100%.
Regards Mike.
AnswerID: 510867

Follow Up By: landseka - Sunday, May 12, 2013 at 13:12

Sunday, May 12, 2013 at 13:12
In answer to Rebecca's question, the NEAREST shop to restock would be Norseman at the IGA. Not the greatest choices & prices but if the lad only eats fruit & veg then get it there.

I agree with Michael's comment...fruit salad would NOT get past the checkpoint at the border.

Cheers Neil
FollowupID: 788993

Reply By: Leafy Sea Dragon - Sunday, May 12, 2013 at 12:00

Sunday, May 12, 2013 at 12:00
Rebecca

The quarantine point is at Ceduna but I think its only for people travelling into SA.

AnswerID: 510868

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Monday, May 13, 2013 at 11:16

Monday, May 13, 2013 at 11:16
That one is for the east bound travellers only.

PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 789065

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Sunday, May 12, 2013 at 12:02

Sunday, May 12, 2013 at 12:02
This link says it all:
http://www.quarantinedomestic.gov.au/destination-western-australia.html
I've heard of people getting F&V at Eucla.
Commercially packed dried fruit is allowed and might be an option - should be able to get it at Foodland Ceduna.
AnswerID: 510869

Reply By: Member - John and Lynne - Sunday, May 12, 2013 at 13:43

Sunday, May 12, 2013 at 13:43
The quarantine checkpoint going into WA is at Bordertown and the inspection is likely to be thorough. We saw one group who tried to be a bit smart about it having ALL their gear spread out on the road and their stuff totally unpacked! It would have taken an age for them to pack up again. Virtually no fruit or veg can be taken in and nor can honey. Raw fruit salad is unlikely to make the grade. They are seriously trying to protect their industries and it is hard to criticise that!
We had stocked up at Ceduna as we did not get the right advice there and intended to spend a week getting to Norseman.
So we camped just east of Bordertown and cooked or par cooked everything. Then our fridge was neatly stacked with containers of fried onions, lightly steamed vegies, soup, stew and stewed fruit. We also had some canned and dried fruit and veg. This did not take long to do and we sailed through the checkpoint with no problems. If you even look as if you are hiding anything you will be there for a while!
So begin introducing your toddler to stewed fruit and soup well before you get there.
Most fussy kids like butternut pumpkin soup with cracker biscuits or par cooked vegies crisped up into "chips" in a frying pan and served with tomato sauce! He is unlikely to starve before you get to Norseman. Just relax and enjoy the trip. Lynne
AnswerID: 510876

Follow Up By: P and JM - Sunday, May 12, 2013 at 13:54

Sunday, May 12, 2013 at 13:54
BORDERTOWN ??
That's some 2,000 odd km's away from the W.A. border.
I think it should read BORDER VILLAGE.

Cheers
FollowupID: 788996

Follow Up By: Member - John and Lynne - Sunday, May 12, 2013 at 14:11

Sunday, May 12, 2013 at 14:11
Sorry! You are so right! Lynne
FollowupID: 788999

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Sunday, May 12, 2013 at 13:52

Sunday, May 12, 2013 at 13:52
Yep - sage advice above, re the serious attention the inspectors give to their work ! But we found them very reasonable people - and to be sure, the more agreeable you are toward the process, the less time the inspection takes...it can be done in a couple of minutes......literally. Great to hear about the little fruit bat - I hope junk food never gets a look in.
AnswerID: 510878

Reply By: Member - Charlie M (SA) - Sunday, May 12, 2013 at 13:55

Sunday, May 12, 2013 at 13:55
Hi
Potato's only need to be peeled as the peel is the problem , never had a worry with them peeled. I think carrots are the same. No honey or fruit or veggie boxes as well, seen them make a couple towing a trailer with tomato boxes packed with their goods in them, unload and give them the boxes.

Cheers
Charlie
AnswerID: 510879

Follow Up By: Mad Habits - Sunday, May 12, 2013 at 14:29

Sunday, May 12, 2013 at 14:29
Interesting as they took my peeled raw potatoes and my peeled raw cut up and de-seeded pumpkin segments so I guess its who you get if they are going to let you through charlie.
Cheers
nigel
FollowupID: 789003

Follow Up By: Member - Scott M (NSW) - Sunday, May 12, 2013 at 22:55

Sunday, May 12, 2013 at 22:55
Also Potato sacks can be a target. Dad had an old potato sack that probably last had taters in it 20 years before. He used it to put his Camp Oven, Bedourie oven and other assorted fire bits in to stope them rolling about and this thing had been on the road for about 10 years and was covered in fire black & grease.....

They still nabbed it despite my fathers pleas......
FollowupID: 789036

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Monday, May 13, 2013 at 00:03

Monday, May 13, 2013 at 00:03
Soil is the main issue with peeled potatoes and vegetable packaging. My peeled potatoes and onions have always passed. Be sure to remove all eyes and any traced of peel or soil. They will keep in plastic bags outside of refrigeration for some days.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 789038

Reply By: allein m - Sunday, May 12, 2013 at 14:20

Sunday, May 12, 2013 at 14:20
I live in Broken Hill and travel a lot to Adelaide now there is a fruite and vegi check just after yunta I forgot the towns name but for us we drive up to the check point and he say are you from the hill and do you have any fruite or vegie s we say no that is it they know that what not to bring so normally it is a easy pass but the last trip we got stick behind a Victorian car who sat down and argued with the inspector that Broken Hill was in South Australia and he bought all his fruit and veggies in Broken Hill and therefore he is allowed to keep them after 15 minutes local police were called and in the end he was told to hand over all of his fruite and vegies he had just purchased in Broken Hill he left saying that Broken hill is in SA and he will make a formal compliant to the the inspectors boss on how rude his staff were to him so it is not always a easy slam dunk when passing the inspection points you do get the odd arrogant person who makes life of the inspectors job hard .
AnswerID: 510881

Follow Up By: Members Pa & Ma. - Sunday, May 12, 2013 at 14:55

Sunday, May 12, 2013 at 14:55
Hi Rebecca,
Please let me know how the van is going?
We too had fruit boxes for carrying our things in & we had those polystyrene ones too.
We had Hessian bags to get out of bogs, also as a stone guard. None of them allowed.
It depends on your attitude, you make it hard for them & they'll make it doubly hard for you . Some of the stuff seems ridiculous but have a look at the quarantine list to be sure.
The quarantine station up the top of W.A is very strict too.We had bread boxes storing bottles of water. the bread boxes were from Kununurra, had to be replaced by plastic boxes. That was very hard to get the same size. We hadn't expected that!
Hope your trip is going well.
Take care safe travels Ma.
FollowupID: 789004

Reply By: Rebecca H - Sunday, May 12, 2013 at 20:23

Sunday, May 12, 2013 at 20:23
Thanks everyone. I'm a little confused about where the checkpoint is still. Everyone seems to have named a different place. Thanks for all the other advice. Quite happy to abide by the laws just making sure we are prepared as I hate wasting food. Little disappointed about the big pot of tasmanian honey we brought with us. I didn't realise honey was an issue :). The van is going ok Ma and Pa. We have had some issues with batteries etc but slowly getting it sorted ourselves. Any recent posts by Sam H (my partner) will explain the issues we are having.
AnswerID: 510920

Follow Up By: landseka - Sunday, May 12, 2013 at 20:44

Sunday, May 12, 2013 at 20:44
There should be no confusion Rebecca, heading west the checkpoint is at the WA / SA border.

On your way back you sail through that one non stop but get checked at Ceduna.

The good thing about the Ceduna checkpoint is that there is a kiosk virtually next door selling very fresh local oysters very cheaply. They will shuck them for you if you can't do it yourself.

Yummie stuff.

Cheers Neil
FollowupID: 789021

Follow Up By: rocco2010 - Sunday, May 12, 2013 at 21:23

Sunday, May 12, 2013 at 21:23
Hi Rebecca

Sorry, but We in Wa make no apologies for our strict quarantine rules just as they are very strict on the movement of fruit in SA. You mention honey. There are many pests and diseases that affect bees that Wa has so far been able to keep out.
I am sure you will be surprised to know that Wa is one of the few places in the world that is able to export bees to because of our disease free status. Exporting bees sounds kinda Weird but ...
There has been a story in the local media this week that Canada will only take bees from WA because of our disease free status.
I think it is a case of when they are short of bees after winter we have a few extras.
and if you like honey just wait till u get a taste of WA jarrah or redgum honey. it is an industry that must protected.
Enjoy your visit.
Cheers
FollowupID: 789026

Reply By: Member - Terra'Mer - Sunday, May 12, 2013 at 20:28

Sunday, May 12, 2013 at 20:28
Go with Mad Habits' advice.

All fruit, veg and honey.

If you are "slowly" making your way across and want fresh fruit and veg before Norseman phone Norseman IGA and ask if you can make an order to pick up at a roadhouse west of the border. Usually they only do this for people living out there but will help slower travelers like cyclists, runners and walkers. With a baby they may make an exception. It won't hurt to ask and know your options.

Cheers
Terra
Have you seen my marbles?

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 510921

Follow Up By: Member - Terra'Mer - Sunday, May 12, 2013 at 20:46

Sunday, May 12, 2013 at 20:46
Roadhouses west of Border Village get their food, including perishables, from a weekly delivery from Norseman IGA.

If you don't want to order your own groceries direct through that delivery service you could call ahead to a roadhouse and check if they will have some fresh food to buy from their kitchen.

When I worked as a cook at Mundrabilla we had fresh whole fruit for customers and made fresh salads everyday.
The produce from Norseman IGA was reliable.
When I worked down at Eyre Bird Observatory I could still buy plenty of fresh fruit and veg and the closest roadhouse, Cocklebiddy, was happy to hold the food in their cool room for the day until I made it up to the highway between BOM reports.

You won't have any trouble buying fresh stuff if you phone ahead.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 789022

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Sunday, May 12, 2013 at 21:37

Sunday, May 12, 2013 at 21:37
Gday Terra,
We spent a night at Mundrabilla in 2005 and sat down for great homestyle dinners. My wife reckons the cottage pie was the best she'd ever had! Maybe you were responsible??
Cheers
Phil
FollowupID: 789028

Follow Up By: Member - Terra'Mer - Monday, May 13, 2013 at 00:58

Monday, May 13, 2013 at 00:58
Maybe I was ;)

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 789040

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Monday, May 13, 2013 at 08:33

Monday, May 13, 2013 at 08:33
Hehe - thats great!
FollowupID: 789052

Reply By: Motherhen - Sunday, May 12, 2013 at 23:59

Sunday, May 12, 2013 at 23:59
We have a cook up the night before reaching the WA border, and know all about no honey, and no cardboard cartons that have held fresh foodstuff. I peel onions and potatoes well and present them for inspection.

You can manage easily without fresh veges using frozen, dried or canned products. Salads is about the only thing you cannot cook or blanch and freeze. We can last a day or three without that.

Will your fussy child eat stewed fruit or commercial dried fruit?

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 510934

Reply By: Hairy (NT) - Monday, May 13, 2013 at 11:12

Monday, May 13, 2013 at 11:12
Gday,
Cant you take canned, bottled or dried fruit and baby food until you get hold of fresh fruit? Try making a phone call to Eucla and see what they stock , there are probably a lot of people in the same situation as you and they might even keep fruit there.......if you ask nicely they might even order in what you need?

Makes me laugh when I hear all the different ways people use to get their fruit and veggies across the borders.
Some people sit there and eat everything until they are sick? Some make soup and eat it until they hate the sight of it? Drown it in dressing? etc etc........surely not everyone wakes up in the morning and says...shit.....I might cross the border today and I just did my fruit and vegie shopping yesterday????? Ive been known to be pretty impulsive before but cant say Ive ever been caught at a border with a fridge full of vegies.... LOL

Personally if I plan to cross a border where there are quarantine issues I make sure we use up the things that are not allowed across the border, or if we have something left in the fridge we haven't eaten, bin it. I would hate to be the one to destroy a states agricultural industry over a tub of bloody coleslaw. Even if they do let you getaway with taking it in.

Cheers
AnswerID: 510953

Reply By: Rebecca H - Monday, May 13, 2013 at 11:23

Monday, May 13, 2013 at 11:23
Thanks everyone. As I said not worried about the laws just wanted to know where to restock. No he won't eat canned, cooked or puréed but we will manage. Just wanted a bit of idea.
AnswerID: 510954

Follow Up By: Member - John and Lynne - Monday, May 13, 2013 at 13:37

Monday, May 13, 2013 at 13:37
Hi Rebecca
Don't worry too much about a fussy two year old. At that age some kids seem to live happily on air for days! If you don't make much of an issue of it the phase will pass. Just keep trying different things. He will hit his growth spurt somewhere around three and will start eating everything you present to him. If he feels hungry on the Nullarbor he will eat something even if it is only breakfast cereal or sultanas! Fussy toddlers never starve. You are doing well to stick to fruit and avoid the ghastly trap of tempting him with junk food which leads to long term problems.
In a few years you will be complaining that you can't fill him up! Now I am a grandmother I get my revenge listening to my children's complaints about the grandkids' eating and sleeping issues. Lynne
FollowupID: 789069

Follow Up By: landseka - Monday, May 13, 2013 at 15:07

Monday, May 13, 2013 at 15:07
I hope you are right on the "phase only, it will pass".

My sister (who is now 57 years old) was just the opposite of Rebecca's boy, she would scream blue murder as a 2 yr old if she was tempted to eat fruit or veg and to this day the only fruity or vegy thing she will eat is an odd banana.

She smoked like a train (now given up for a couple years) and doesn't mind a glass of wine but she is healthy as can be.

Cheers Neil
FollowupID: 789077

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Monday, May 13, 2013 at 11:34

Monday, May 13, 2013 at 11:34
When it comes to the preparing fruit salad stuff, we have been allowed enough for our next meal. I think that's about as far as they will go.

Another thing we do is have something for them to take. We show them and ask if it is OK (knowing full well it will be take.) That enhances the personality test. It's when you fail the personality test that you are in strife. Co-operate and things go smoothly.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 510955

Sponsored Links