Storage of fuel for Generator

Submitted: Saturday, May 18, 2013 at 22:26
ThreadID: 102289 Views:5665 Replies:7 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
I am new to caravanning and I am naïve.
Where do you store fuel for your generator?
to be more specific do you get one of those jerry can holders and put the container
in it and affix it to the A frame some how or do you put the container in the van's boot.
I don't like carrying fuel in the car.
thank you all for your input
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Peter M (QLD) - Sunday, May 19, 2013 at 08:04

Sunday, May 19, 2013 at 08:04
I reluctantly store mine in the boot of the van. I open the boot at every stop to let out any fumes and I make sure the water drain hole is not covered in the hope that with forward movement it will act like a boats venturi valve and suck out fumes.
I have looked at placing a jerry can holder on the back bumper of the van but I understand that as the container will have petrol in it, that it is illegal to store in this way.
Placing a jerry can holder on the draw bar is not an option.
I suppose the correct way is to have a roof rack and store it there: more wind resistance and at 71 it would be difficult for me to safely get a full container up there.
I will be very interested in other suggestions, too.
Stay well & stay safe
PeterM (Qld)
AnswerID: 511354

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Sunday, May 19, 2013 at 08:06

Sunday, May 19, 2013 at 08:06
Peter

You say it is illegal to store petrol on the rear bar. I am not challenmging that. Okay. What is the picture with diesel? Is it the same?

Phil
FollowupID: 789567

Follow Up By: Member - Peter M (QLD) - Sunday, May 19, 2013 at 08:28

Sunday, May 19, 2013 at 08:28
I'm not sure BUT I think as diesel is not as volatile as petrol then the possibility of an explosion following a rear ender is less. I believe it is all about the volatility of petrol.
Regards
PeterM (Qld)
FollowupID: 789568

Follow Up By: Kyle H - Sunday, May 19, 2013 at 09:20

Sunday, May 19, 2013 at 09:20
Diesel is classified as HAZARDOUS SUBSTANCE. NON-DANGEROUS GOODS unlike petrol which is a dangerous goods therefore storage and transportation of each are different.

I transport my generator petrol in a purpose built Gerry can holder on the vans A frame.
FollowupID: 789573

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Sunday, May 19, 2013 at 09:50

Sunday, May 19, 2013 at 09:50
Another good reason to have purchased a diesel powered car for the bush and long drives.

Thanks

Phil
FollowupID: 789580

Follow Up By: Denis H - Sunday, May 19, 2013 at 14:37

Sunday, May 19, 2013 at 14:37
Hi Phil and others

Fuel on the caravan rear bar, is not illegal but not ideal. However much better then in the caravan boot, on the vehicle roof rack or in the vehicle. Did it for 23 years on a Landrover, designed and sponsored by the Government.

Regards Rabbit
FollowupID: 789593

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Sunday, May 19, 2013 at 15:21

Sunday, May 19, 2013 at 15:21
Here's trouble. Hows the old red rooster!!!

That doesn't make it legal. It's just that we got away with it.

Say hi to . . . . .

Phil

FollowupID: 789597

Reply By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Sunday, May 19, 2013 at 08:05

Sunday, May 19, 2013 at 08:05
We don't have a generator nor do we tow so I cannot help there.

But if I did have to carry extra fuel it would never be in the car. Preferably on the roof rack or on the rear bumper in a suitable metal carrier. We currently have a double jerry can carrier as well as the spare tyre on our rear dual carrier Kaymar rear bar.

Personally if we towed (done that) I would put it in a well protected and ventilated spot or enclosure on the drawbar or a-frame whatever you wish to call it.

Phil
AnswerID: 511355

Reply By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Sunday, May 19, 2013 at 08:29

Sunday, May 19, 2013 at 08:29
I would carry it in a well ventilated caravan boot, ensuring that the container is well sealed.
EXCEPTION: If there were any electrics in the boot (battery etc.) there is no way I would put petrol in there, ventilated or not!
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 511363

Reply By: Member - Alan H (QLD) - Sunday, May 19, 2013 at 09:02

Sunday, May 19, 2013 at 09:02
Are you sure you need a generator?

A lot of vans are self sufficient for power these days with solar panels - charging through tow vehicle etc. Use of LED lights etc

I have a van and have never felt a need for a generator. If I found myself in extended bad weather and worried about battery levels I would pay for powered site somewhere.

I also run a fridge off our battery supply.

However, If I did have a generator I would put the fuel on the A frame of the van. Currently carry extra diesel there when touring to extend my range.

Alan

AnswerID: 511366

Reply By: KenInPerth - Sunday, May 19, 2013 at 11:29

Sunday, May 19, 2013 at 11:29
I think when you look at various "caravan & motorhome for sale" sites you will see many rear or A frame mounted jerry can holders - at some point in time I thought I found something that said carrying Petrol on the rear was illegal, but not deisel? Many camper trailers have side or front mounted jerry can holders also.

As per Allan and other responses, I think a lot of comon sense needs to apply even if you are carrying it "legally" - one point made in the other forum link below is also if you forget to turn off the pilot light on the fridge you have a ready source of ignition waiting. I would probably never trust plastic containers either - only good seal jerry cans or the like.

From a quick search (far from comprehenisive) it seems there are variations between States and generally covered under various "Dangerous Goods" acts.

If interested I found this snippet below of "general advice" and a more comprehensive discussion on another forum at this link - accuracy unknown:

http://caravanersforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=7061

What is the best way to carry extra fuel in jerry cans ?

There is always an element of risk when carrying fuel.

Never carry fuel in your vehicle or store fuel in any living area and if stowed on a trailer or caravan only in rigid, protected and secured positions.

Metal jerry can holders are ideal for securing the cans to your caravan or camper trailer. As some fuels are combustible upon impact, these holders should not be fixed to the rear of your RV or where it may be susceptible to accidental impact.

If you find it absolutely necessary to carry extra fuel in jerry cans, it is advisable to not carry the jerry cans part full.

Another alternative to carrying jerry cans would be to upgrade your vehicle fuel tank to a long range fuel tank.
AnswerID: 511372

Follow Up By: Member - Ian G4 - Sunday, May 19, 2013 at 22:43

Sunday, May 19, 2013 at 22:43
Thank you Ken for the information and the link to caravanersforum ,yes common sense needs to prevail in carrying the fuel. I wasn't aware of the problems with plastic containers.
FollowupID: 789658

Reply By: Racey - Sunday, May 19, 2013 at 14:28

Sunday, May 19, 2013 at 14:28
A jerry can holder on the A frame is the way to go. There are several configurations available including combining the mounting with the Gas bottles.
AnswerID: 511380

Reply By: Motherhen - Sunday, May 19, 2013 at 17:19

Sunday, May 19, 2013 at 17:19
We carry a generator for emergency use only, and had a custom built aluminium generator box for generator, ULP and oil on the a-frame. It is to me the only realistic and practical option. Space is tight, but it just fits.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 511394

Sponsored Links