ideas for carrying gas

Submitted: Sunday, May 19, 2013 at 21:51
ThreadID: 102306 Views:9146 Replies:4 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Hi folks

I’m building a new canopy for my ute tray, well to be honest I’m pinching most of the ideas from thread 77814 (some of the photos don’t appear any more on this archived thread but I saved a copy of the page a year or so back with prado4x4’s photos). In fact most of our set up is adapted from what I’ve seen on this site.

One thing I haven’t settled on is how to store gas bottles (either 2*4kg or 1*4 and 1*2kg). I’ve searched and found lots of debate on the wisdom and legalities of how to carry gas bottles and seen some examples of brackets for external carriage on the A-frame of camper trailers and the like. My first ideas for the ute were to go under the tray and inside the external lines of the vehicle, but a 4kg bottle with collar is about 370mm high. I also wanted to avoid creating a separate compartment inside the canopy itself that opens to and is vented to the outside. Oh and I want the two bottles as I run a 3 way fridge (fixed in tray back) plus stove which we like to be able to use in the back or out away from the car.

Any suggestions welcome (piccies even better). Thanks.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: mountainman - Sunday, May 19, 2013 at 23:07

Sunday, May 19, 2013 at 23:07
only legal crap you have to worry about.. its a bit of common sense is not to store it in vehicle.
as in wagon or sedan.
ive also chatted to the local arb and they said its fine to have it in the back with the fridge. on a ute with canopy !!
i have mine across on the other side.
fridge at the back left of rear tailgate, and gas bottle at the front of the right side of tray, so to make use of available space.

AnswerID: 511421

Reply By: Motherhen - Sunday, May 19, 2013 at 23:48

Sunday, May 19, 2013 at 23:48
We have at different time purchased tall and short 4 kg cylinders to suit. The short one was when we had a storage layer with mattresses across the top on the tray of the F250 with a fibreglass canopy. The gas was not used in situ as it was only for the camping stove which I used outside, although my husband designed it on a slide out for the stove and cylinder so it could be used just off the back of the vehicle but this did not suit me.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 511425

Follow Up By: dermie66 - Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 21:01

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 21:01
Hi Motherhen

I was glad to see your response because they're always full of commonsense and experience. You got me searching for the different shapes and there are some odd ones out there. Problem is of course finding places to fill them. I have my own bottles but I think the reality is that whatever gas we carry, it'll need to be part of the exchange program because places that fill 'em up are getting harder to find.

I'll keep looking, thanks again!
FollowupID: 789908

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 21:53

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 21:53
Thanks Dermie :)

I am surprised you are finding it hard to find places to fill. Most fills are cheaper than the swap-n-go. Many camping stores, hardware stores and fuel outlets fill them. We have no problems finding somewhere but the prices can be very erratic. BCF stores are usually cheaper than most outlets. We only run into problems with the legalities when the cylinder has reached its marked expiry date and the refurbish is usually dearer than purchasing a new cylinder. With our small camping bottles they may have only been used once or twice in the ten years.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 789918

Reply By: Mazdave - Monday, May 20, 2013 at 13:55

Monday, May 20, 2013 at 13:55
Hi Dermie,
I went through the same thought process when considering how I was going to fit out my trayback, Carry me camper. As space is at a premium and given that if you want to use gas, you really need 2 gas bottles, as it is pointless just refilling one. I eventually decided to opt out of the gas option all together.
As an alternative I bought a Coleman dual fuel stove and as I am all ready carrying unleaded in a jerry for a generater, there is no need to carry gas at all either inside or outside the canopy.I find the stove excellent, especially when there is a bit of wind about and am happy with its performance.

Cheers
AnswerID: 511443

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Monday, May 20, 2013 at 14:45

Monday, May 20, 2013 at 14:45
Same here. We went through carrying a 4Kg on the roof, on the back bar and even inside.

Ditched it and the accompanying small BBQ type stove, We purchased two of those cheap low pressure stoves and a bunch of low pressure canisters. They are stored inside the car in the drawers in the back with all the cooking stuff, kitchen utensils and washing up stuff.

For refrigeration we have two Engels, a 40L and a 21L. Depending whether its a weekend, a week or longer we carry just the small one or large one or both with one used as a freezer. We also have three batteries under the bonnet.

Phil
FollowupID: 789701

Follow Up By: dermie66 - Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 21:10

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 21:10
Thanks for the input Mazdave and Phil, another two regular posters I recognise as wise and very experienced.

I'm thinking you're both right, that seems to be the way to go, in fact I think my old man has or is making that transition. For me, I have an absorption fridge that is brilliant on gas and ordinary on 12V (actually it was a hand-me-down when Dad upgraded). I can't afford to move over to a fully 12V fridge for the foreseeable future, so I'll just have to persevere with gas. I'll post my solution when I settle on one.

Thanks again fellas.
FollowupID: 789911

Reply By: Batt's - Monday, May 20, 2013 at 20:10

Monday, May 20, 2013 at 20:10
I reckon dermie in the thread 77814 where phil has got his under body tool box in front of the rear wheel would be about the easiest spot to build a tool box to suit your gas bottles easy access for turning on/off and easy to remove to re-gas
AnswerID: 511467

Follow Up By: dermie66 - Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 21:18

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 21:18
Hi Batt

yep, I've been eyeing that spot as the most likely. I sketched up a sort of cage and then a 'vented' toolbox to fit in there but with the 3.5-4 kg bottles being quite variable in height (320 - 400mm even by the same manufacturer) the finished box and cage started getting too low for my liking. I'd hate to make one to take say a 350mm bottle only to find all i could get to exchange somewhere wouldn't fit! And 2kg bottles would just cut it I don't think.

Cheers
FollowupID: 789912

Follow Up By: dermie66 - Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 21:21

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 21:21
that should be... just wouldn't cut it
FollowupID: 789914

Follow Up By: Batt's - Thursday, May 23, 2013 at 18:14

Thursday, May 23, 2013 at 18:14
Yeah bit of a problem if you do the swap empty for full thing but if you bought your own you can built to suit and just keep a list of places that re-fill bottles in the car. Just depends what suits you best.
FollowupID: 789959

Sponsored Links