Tigerz 11 Winch

Submitted: Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 07:51
ThreadID: 102345 Views:3207 Replies:9 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone else had a bad experience with Tigrez after sales service. I bought one of their winches in Sept. I had hoped not to use it and know for the price what to expect.

However, have now got a faulty solinoid and trying to get it replaced is a nightmare. Their full warranty service - as described by them expects me to remove or have the winch removed and posted down for them to assess. If approved as faulty, they reimburse me for the freight but not any cost of having the winch removed and refitted.

It has taken 5 emails so far to try and get this far... very frustrating in my dealings.

I know I am probably going to get slammed about "you should have bought a warne" but knew the product I was buying, just didn't expect this side as well
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: AlbyNSW - Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 08:32

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 08:32
Same happened with me, and to some extent it is fair enough. Many products you buy are a back to base warranty.
I had a Tigerz winch on my last vehicle and rarely used it but it worked ok. Had a solenoid issue as well and trying to get some service out of them is a nightmare, even trying to pay for a new one to hurry up the process made no difference, I ended up going away on a big trip without an operating winch because I could not get them to post a part that I had prepaid for. I managed to get hold of the manager on the phone and politely said how I can understand why they cop a bagging on the Forums for their service, his response was that most people on the forums are idiots.
Tigerz service is crap and I would not buy anything from them that required warranty or backup service.

And now the bit you are waiting for.............my new rig I bought a WARN, the 2K spend hurts but I justified it by thinking about how I would deal with the same situation if I was on the road 1000's of k from home. Warn parts are readily obtainable Aust wide and take comfort in knowing that I could get it serviced in most reasonable sized town.
I look at my winch as a safety device for my family.....that is how I justified the money for it LOL
AnswerID: 511561

Reply By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 09:06

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 09:06
Back to base warranty is quite a widely used warranty. eg Our three month old oven is broken and I have to arrange for the removal and return. Either I pay the local agent to do it or do it myself. Same with the shock absorber that came apart. I had to get it off and return it. They covered the shipping. Same with the set top box for digital TV. At least using the local repairer all costs are covered.

Is there a local agent?

Sorry mate but that's the way it is. Have you asked about just returning the part with a stat dec and photos to show that you actually took the solenoid out of the winch and am not having them on?

Phil
AnswerID: 511564

Follow Up By: garrycol - Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 10:43

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 10:43
No it is not - the new consumer laws clearly state it is the obligation of the seller/maker to pay for the cost of return shipping and any other out of pocket costs.

Was on the Checkout the other week.
FollowupID: 789835

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 10:46

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 10:46
Thanks Garry.

What's the "Checkout"? A tv show or something?

Phil
FollowupID: 789836

Follow Up By: garrycol - Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 11:53

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 11:53
ABC - Thursday night - one of the best Consumer Affairs programs around - surprisingly a Chaser production.
FollowupID: 789843

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 13:13

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 13:13
Well there you go. Rarely watch the old Aunty. In fact we don't watch much TV these days apart from the news, some travel (Oz only) shows and the footy.

I thought it may have been another forum.

Cheers

Phil
FollowupID: 789849

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 18:48

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 18:48
The problem is Garry that it may not be a warranty repair, it may be damaged from misuse so the supplier has no obligation to freight a product but will have a hard time getting the consumer to pay a service and freight fee after the event
If it is warranty then fair enough you are entitled to be compensated
It is not uncommon to have the service provider take credit card details before doing an onsite service call so that if the problem is owner negligence/ stupidity they have to pay a call out fee.
Electrical companies often do this with house warranty claims after they have talk the problem through with the householder , have you checked that the bulb is ok, is the power point switched on, has the circuit breaker tripped etc
FollowupID: 789895

Reply By: Tate1984 - Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 12:48

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 12:48
As far as I am aware it is the consumers responsibility to return the product for any warranty claim. Just be aware that you only need to return the product to the place of purchase, not to the manufacturer. Places like Harvey Norman etc usually try to make you take it to a repair centre yourself but this is illegal.

This can be one of the problems buying online - you will usually have no choice but to post the item for repairs.

Have a look at this page on the ACCC website: Repair, replace, refund
AnswerID: 511584

Reply By: Member - Craig F (WA) - Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 17:20

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 17:20
Tigerz11 my favorite subject.

Call EMG (4WD Action) and express your anger. They will then give Paul a shove to sort out his back yard. Been there done that. I got sold a winch that was faulty from the start. Took 5 weeks to sort. In the end they sent me the part to fit myself minus the gasket as I wouldn't need it!!!! More like they didn't have them. (no stock for 6mths)
I have good reason to state that I will never deal with Tigerz or Roos.

Good luck getting it fixed..

Craig
AnswerID: 511600

Reply By: BAD4B - Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 21:12

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 21:12
I been using Avenger winch on my 100LC last 3 years under extreme condations.never had any problems. One of my friend had tigers winch on his GQ patrol.2 times he had to replace gears into the winch.that was under warranty.bu still i dont believe they are strong winches.i can recommend you Avenger winches around that price range.
Thanks
AnswerID: 511624

Reply By: nootsa200873 - Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 21:18

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 21:18
I hope you take this all the way to the top! This is my pet hate with these buggers! They take your money, and then when you need help afterwards, they slam the door in your face. I am at loggerheads right now with a battery company, and I'm gonna fight to the last breath to be heard. Unfortunately, Tigerz don't have a good wrap right now, so it would do them good to START HELPING THE CUSTOMER!
Yep , I'm fired up, go get em mate!
Chris.....
AnswerID: 511626

Reply By: Idler Chris - Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 21:59

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 21:59
With winches you have to get them warm by running them out and then back in every few months and after every time they have been in water. I need a winch mainly for safety reasons, I do not intentionally go places that I expect to use the winch. As I do not need a winch for constant use I have trouble justifying to myself the cost of a Warn. So in 2007 I purchased an Ironman 12000lb winch for $800. I figured at that price I could replace it every 3 or so years and still be in front. It pulls like a train and it has been used a fair bit more than I first imagined. (Read: because of its grunt my mates always want to use my winch). In 2011 the solenoid packed it in. I live in Melbourne so rang Ironman who said to bring it in which I did. After 3 hours waiting (they had to take the bull bar off to get to the winch) the guy comes out and says that the solenoid was replaced under warranty, the motor had a bit of rust and corrosion so we replaced that under warranty also, but we have to charge you for 2 hours labour for removing and replacing the bull bar. A Company that stands by their products even though they are over a year out of warranty has got to be worth dealing with. So after 6 years doing everything that I (and my mates) have ever asked of it, I am miles in front. When it does eventually pack it in there are no guesses as to what I will replace it with. It is pretty simple, do not deal with Companies that do not stand behind their products.
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 511630

Follow Up By: Member - Craig F (WA) - Thursday, May 23, 2013 at 15:54

Thursday, May 23, 2013 at 15:54
Brother has an Ironman. He used it to death from new @ 6 weeks he had killed it. Perth to Cape York and back the hard way. Went through a set of tyres, brakes and 4 windscreens. The winch got used more in those six weeks than a winch should in its life! (Only winch in the convoy). On returning to Perth it was making noises so he took it into Ironman (Kewdale).
Same deal.. Salesman asked him what the H3ll had he done to it! And replaced it under warranty.
Brother even said he was happy to pay as it had been abused. Salesman said; better a happy customer and replace it than letting you tell people it lasted 6 weeks. They won’t understand that you killed it!

Craig
FollowupID: 789951

Reply By: olcoolone - Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 22:59

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 22:59
Cheaper small brand name stuff is great until it fails, main reason we went with Warn.

Starting to see more cheaper stuff have problems on this forum..... think it's three this week.

If they were smart they would charge you for the part and once they have received to so called faulty part credit your money back.
AnswerID: 511639

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Thursday, May 23, 2013 at 12:23

Thursday, May 23, 2013 at 12:23
I sort of got stung. They say you get what you pay for and this was no exception.

Purchased one of their $85 snorkels - thought I'd sus it out and if I didn't like it, then throw it away and get the real thing. The website said "in stock" and they took my money. After 3 weeks I enquired and they said they were waiting for stock. After 5 weeks I said I needed it immediately for a trip and would like my money refunded. No reply - but the snorkel was freighted the day after my enquiry and turned up 2 days later.

The finish was poor - I'd put it on a 20 year old vehicle but not on a new one. Streaking across the plastic and rough edges and I couldn't get rid of the dull finish. Also one of the concealed nuts sat proud 2mm and would need to be trimmed before installation. The snorkel top wouldn't fit onto the snorkel - needed considerable trimming as the jigsaw that was used in its manufacture was ill-directed.
All the hardware looked OK.

So I went down to ARB and bought the safari. It had Made in Australia written on the box. The finish was very good and there was also a considerable amount of padding included that goes between the guard and snorkel to prevent the drumming sound that happens at certain revs. I didn't realise that the Tigerz was an absolute copy of the Safari - felt sorry for Safari when I realised that - every component had been shamelessly copied. That's pretty un-Australian!
AnswerID: 511658

Sponsored Links