Gibb River rd

Submitted: Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 09:18
ThreadID: 102348 Views:2194 Replies:6 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, thinking of leaving the caravan behind in Kununurra or Broome and hitting the gibb river rd, and up to Mitchell Falls too. Is the trip worth it? Any advice on rd conditions, places to see and stay? Time needed? Route recommendations?
Look forward to hearing your thoughts :)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 09:57

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 09:57
Hi RTH,

Most definitely the trip is worth it. How long does it take? - depends on how much you want to see. Dont "hit" the GRR too hard or too fast, as many unfortunately do and end up regretting it. I have linked a blog of ourshere of our time in the Kimberley a few years ago, and if you put "Gibb River Road" in the search box at the top RH corner of the page you will find over a hundred more blogs and hundreds of forum posts to answer all your questions.

I think leaving your van behind would be a good idea, as the road to Mitchell Falls can be very corrugated. Go in to as many of the gorges and properties that allow camping as you can. We really enjoyed Mornington. Route recommendatios - the GRR goes right through with tracks branching off to the different sites.

Cheers,

Val.
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 511568

Follow Up By: AlanTH - Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 11:31

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 11:31
We left our van in Broome a few years (maybe 5 years) ago and did what you propose doing. Tucked the van away in the corner of a storage yard after the man in charge had assured us of security (anyone gets in they don't get out after the dogs have had their way with them) and left it for 12 days for which he charged us 15 bucks!
Can't remember the name of the yard but it was down off the road beside what was Home Hardware and the servo on the other corner.
Enjoy the trip.
AlanH.
FollowupID: 789842

Reply By: Member - J&R - Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 11:58

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 11:58
The road to MF is very bad atm.
AnswerID: 511577

Reply By: Member - Joel and Michelle (WA - Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 13:26

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 13:26
G'day Hippies, We did 3 weeks on the Gibb, ( not long enough ) inluding 3 days at Mitchell falls. We started at Fitzroy River lodge Caravan Park, at the time it cost $50 a week storage. You can't book but unpowered sites are avalable if you get in late and just up early for a change to a powered site.We liked this starting point as it allows you to go in at Tunnel Creek and Windjana Gorge and then onto the GRR. Not such a long drive back to pick up the van as well. Of course it all depends on where you're coming from and going to, though we did liked the luxury at Home Valley on the way out.
No matter what, take your time you'll love it.
My wife and I are planning our next trip back, and taking the kids again, they loved it.
Cheers
Joel
AnswerID: 511585

Follow Up By: Member - Joel and Michelle (WA - Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 13:30

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 13:30
If you click on My Profile, you'll find the link to our blog, with lot's more info.
Cheers
Joel
FollowupID: 789851

Follow Up By: Member - bbuzz (NSW) - Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 17:13

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 17:13
We did the Tunnel Creek access to Gibb RR and the road was atrocious. Best to check.

Bill
Bill B

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 789877

Follow Up By: Member - Joel and Michelle (WA - Thursday, May 23, 2013 at 12:52

Thursday, May 23, 2013 at 12:52
Yeah Bill I hear you. You say atrocious. We said fun. More of a track than a road. Just another option. Good to check though.
Enjoy
Joel
FollowupID: 789950

Reply By: baz&pud (tassie) - Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 16:23

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 16:23
We did the GRR in total in 2006, and pulled the van across, we were on some of it last year, it's a matter of lowering tyre pressure, and driving to the conditions.
Baz
Go caravaning, life is so much shorter than death.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 511592

Reply By: Motherhen - Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 22:09

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 22:09
Well worth doing - the best of all our trips. You can check out My Blogs from 2008; we took a little over three weeks one way, including Mitchell Falls and Kaumburu. I agree with leaving the caravan and doing a loop unless you have a dedicated rough roader. Conditions vary but you will always meet some bad patches, and it is not worth the risk of a breakdown.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 511631

Reply By: Member - Laurie K (WA) - Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 22:52

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 22:52
We left the caravan at the big caravan park in Derby, and did the loop. We also travelled to Kalumburu and it took us 17 days to Kununnurra. This allowed us to take in The Bungles and Geikie Gorge on the return trip.

cheers
Laurie
AnswerID: 511636

Sponsored Links