Inverter In Caravan

Hi I have purchased a 380 Watt inverter from Jaycar for my caravan and the manual states " Connect an earth cable to the earth lug on the inverter "
Is the earth to the Ground (dirt) or the battery earth ??
The wiring diagram only shows the Inverter with Positive and Negative wires connected to the battery no earth wire !!
How have others earthed there inverters.

Cheers
Barry - Southern Cross Dreaming.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: K&FT - Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 14:15

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 14:15
Easy one Barry 2,
DONT. The Australian standards relating to these devices (gensets too) is they are not required nor is it recommended that they be earthed.

Provided the device is certified as complying with Aus Standards you should have no problem with just connecting the red and black leads to a battery(via a suitable fuse or circuit breaker) and plugging in your 230 volt appliance.

frank
AnswerID: 511587

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 14:42

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 14:42
Do not misinterpret the expression in the Standard re "they are not required nor is it recommended that they be earthed."

The Standard is addressing electrical safety only and as a double-insulated device there is no requirement to earth its metal enclosure. Nor does the standard see any reason to recommend earthing. However it is not stating that the inverter SHOULD NOT be earthed.

In a few cases an inverter may cause radio reception interference and earthing the inverter metal case to the chassis or metal body of the vehicle may reduce such interference. This connection makes no change to the safety aspect of the inverter installation.
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 789855

Follow Up By: Member - Serendipity(WA) - Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 16:08

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 16:08
I have an inverter installed in my camper. I also have a large kill switch so the inverter is never accidentally able to switch on.

But on the earthing side I find if I am charging the laptop the touch pad does not work. Very frustrating trying to use a laptop with a touch pad that just does random stuff. If I unplug it the touch pad is fine.

I looked this up and just like what Allan says without earthing to the chassis it can cause interference in sensitive equipment.

Cheers

Serendipity

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 789863

Follow Up By: Member - bungarra (WA) - Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 16:12

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 16:12
what a can of worms inverter posts open up........(look at the history on this forum)........even qualified sparkies differ on what / not what to do.I have asked and researched extensively and came to the conclusion that what Alan has said above I practise exactly.....

....and secondly if the appliance being used is a three pin (and the earth pin is actually being used...and not a dummy)..then I wont use it on an inverter...

....in other words if the appliance is not double insulated and requires an earth leakage to circuit break......for a RCD to activate...I wont use it

two pins (double insulated) if not.... I wont use it on the inverter

Life is a journey, it is not how we fall down, it is how we get up.
VKS 1341

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 789865

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 16:37

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 16:37
Bungarra, you are a wise and cautious person.Inverters have a "floating" output which provides some protection but using only double-insulated appliances adds another layer of safety. Generally, it requires two simultaneous faults to produce a hazardous situation so having two layers of protection gives pretty good odds in your favour without resorting to wearing a PVC hat and standing on a ceramic baking dish.

Fortunately, most small appliances today are double-insulated so there is little inconvenience.
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 789871

Sponsored Links