Small Fridge

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 12:26
ThreadID: 10237 Views:1770 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Saw a small car fridge at local bargain shop today (10-12 litres) - Only $99 but only has cigarette outlet charging facility. Has anyone had any experience with these? (without two batteries in car) - I suspect I may have a flat battery after a short time if I stop. Any ideas on a safe period on car battery?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: V8troopie - Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 13:14

Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 13:14
At that price it would be one of those peltier effect coolers. Not really a 'fridge' which usually has a compressor.
These coolers can only achieve a certain temperature difference (around 40 degrees C unlerss its a really fancy design with cascaded peltier elements) between outside and inside the fridge. So, if you park your car in the sun, the inside of the car easily gets to 50 degrees and your poor cooler struggles to maintain +10 degrees within.
I would not recommend to leave it connected when stopping for some time. These coolers run virtually all the time and, though their power consumption is not particularly high, it all adds up.
You really get what you pay for, used car fridges go for a lot more than $99.-
Klaus
AnswerID: 45281

Follow Up By: Member - Eskimo - Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 14:58

Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 14:58
expect the inside temp to reach around 20 c when its 40 c outsideWow, am I cute! The extra long legs are built-in prevention against ducks disease. Great looks and a real goer. Doesnt waddle along like some.
FollowupID: 307385

Reply By: rolande- Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 22:36

Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 22:36
I purchased a WAECO version of these, cost $89, only used for long trips to keep cold drinks cool, will not actually cool drinks unless you have several days to spare, and then only to 8 - 10 Celcius. O.K. when travelling with aircon on if hot, but as above, you get what you pay for, just remember to make sure the drinks are cold before putting them in.
Rolande
AnswerID: 45354

Reply By: Member - Nigel (QLD) - Wednesday, Feb 04, 2004 at 09:08

Wednesday, Feb 04, 2004 at 09:08
I used to have a Waeco one of these and it could only get the inside about 20 degrees cooler than outside while drawing 5 amps continuously - not much use in the tropics.

Traded up to a compressor fridge (I got an EvaKool as it has the best insulation for the size/weight) and it draws about 1.5 amps average and stays at 2 degrees inside, even when parked in the sun in a western queensland summer.
AnswerID: 45386

Sponsored Links