Uni Joint

Submitted: Saturday, May 25, 2013 at 07:49
ThreadID: 102402 Views:1665 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Morning .
Just wondering if someone can point me in the right direction .
I have a 2012 Dmax 4x4 the first uni joint from the gear box has about 5 mm play in it up and down . the second uni joint on from that does not .
I have been told by ISUZU that it is not a problem .
I explained that i was crossing the Simpson soon and that did not change their answer .
I would just like some other feed back please .
Is this something i need to change ? it is not getting any worse since i picked it up .
The car has done 35 000 km so far been up and down the boarder track a couple of times and no problems .
Any input would be appreciated .
Cheers guys.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Ian H (NSW) - Saturday, May 25, 2013 at 08:01

Saturday, May 25, 2013 at 08:01
Kym, I don't know if it is a problem or not but it doesn't sound right. Try looking under a brand new car to see if it has the same movement and maybe even under a Colorado.
Ian
AnswerID: 511794

Follow Up By: kym c1 - Saturday, May 25, 2013 at 08:06

Saturday, May 25, 2013 at 08:06
Morning Ian .
They did take me into the work shop to show me two that were up on the hoist and they had the same play if not more .
You would think that paying 45 000 for the car they would just change the 150 dollar part .
But that's global companies for you .
FollowupID: 790083

Reply By: Shaker - Saturday, May 25, 2013 at 09:38

Saturday, May 25, 2013 at 09:38
Try asking for a written assurance that it is within recommended tolerances.

AnswerID: 511797

Reply By: Ross M - Saturday, May 25, 2013 at 10:57

Saturday, May 25, 2013 at 10:57
Kym c1

Do you mean the two uni yokes move in the rear of the gearbox extension housing the 5mm amount
OR
do the two uni yokes move the 5mm in relation to each other.

The first would indicate a worn bush in the extension housing where the front yoke slides in and out,
The second would mean the uni is stuffed and it would also have rotational slackness too.

It is not uncommon for dealers in general not to grease the tailshafts.
They didn't on mine,
I went and looked and found many other Dmax, and others too, not greased after the 10,000 service and a few not greased after the 20,000 service. If yours is one of those it may have worn as a result.

Check to see if there is any general "fling off" of grease from the 3 uni's and if there is none then it would seem yours hasn't been greased. The 20,000km ones didn't have any fling off.

I wouldn't be going to see Simpson until confirmed as ok. Independent advice may be needed. Dealers will say it'sok because they are all ok aren't they?

Ross M
AnswerID: 511801

Follow Up By: Ross M - Saturday, May 25, 2013 at 17:00

Saturday, May 25, 2013 at 17:00
Kym c1

I was outside and looked at my tailshaft which is a two piece three uni system. 2011 Dmax
The front uni has a slight amount of movement, maybe 0.4mm if you really try and move it.
It must have some, because it is a sliding yoke in a bush and also on the gearbox shaft.
So, there is no slack or movement to the degree you have mentioned, nothing like it.

Ross M
FollowupID: 790104

Follow Up By: Axle - Saturday, May 25, 2013 at 17:10

Saturday, May 25, 2013 at 17:10
G/Day Ross M.,....Fling off from a uni joint in my way of thinking is that its been over greased and the grease has pushed through the seal, would have thought the Dmax had a sealed uni?.....Greaseable uni's only need a gentle squeeze of the grease gun every pancake day really!..if the seals are ok, same with the tail shafts there sealed at the end with the cap so the grease stays in there for a lot longer than 10,000km?,unless there's a sealing prob, the uni's in my landrover have only had a gentle grease in 100,000km of running and have always had a little movement, no vibration or any sign of trouble really,nothing to worry about IMHO only.

Cheers Axle.

FollowupID: 790108

Reply By: garrycol - Saturday, May 25, 2013 at 12:03

Saturday, May 25, 2013 at 12:03
Sorry I do know the vehicle at all. However:

If it is a one piece tail shaft with a uni at either end and the one at the gearbox end it moving up and down then there is clearly a problem and I would be getting a second opinion.

If it is a two piece driveshaft with a support about half way along then maybe a different matter. The gearbox end is connected to the gearbox and should not move. The centre support of a two piece driveshaft is normally rubber mounted where it is designed to move around to take out vibrations. If it is one of these centre UJs you are talking about (the closest one to the gearbox end) then I would say it is OK - it should be obvious if the rubber mount has stared to break down. If the movement is just in the UJ rather than the whole yoke, UJ, shaft assembly then I would be getting the UJ changed.

Garry
AnswerID: 511804

Reply By: pop2jocem - Sunday, May 26, 2013 at 10:56

Sunday, May 26, 2013 at 10:56
Without seeing the vehicle it is hard to give a definitive answer, but what I find um...unusual is a dealer wanting to NOT change a part. Most, are looking for something to replace because of extra dollars. Maybe they are just too busy or just maybe you have a very honest dealer. I have heard they do exist. Mind you we do hear of sightings of Tassy Tigers and such like (;-))

Cheers
Pop
AnswerID: 511845

Sponsored Links